Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Still have mine from childhood. I remember the day I saw him. I thought, " It's Big Jeff as Tarzan! It works!"

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

It really does scream Tarzan to me. It’s always checked all of the Tarzan boxes.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Agent4125
        Museum Super Collector
        • Aug 23, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
        It wasn't '71, it was '78.
        Sorry to bring up this old thread.

But there still seem to be people who think the "Big Jim" Tarzan sets were released in 1971.

So I was wondering where the idea they are from 1971 came form?
        Did the packaging contain a copyright or trademark of 1971? Were the figure or accessories marked "1971"?
        Any idea?

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Agent4125
          Sorry to bring up this old thread.

But there still seem to be people who think the "Big Jim" Tarzan sets were released in 1971.

So I was wondering where the idea they are from 1971 came form?
          Did the packaging contain a copyright or trademark of 1971? Were the figure or accessories marked "1971"?
          Any idea?
          My belief is that date is anchored in the original licensing date for Big Jim himself when they created the various heads and body, one of which is Big Jeff. Tarzan is the Big Jeff head painted with black hair. So that date likely applies to the head and body that is licensed solely to Mattel. Shame its never been revived.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Yup, Tom nailed it. It's just that the body was reused from the original Big Jim line. Mattel does this a whole bunch, I seem to recall that the majority of Barbies produced for decades had a 60s copyright, making many people believe they had vintage toys.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              I seem to recall that the majority of Barbies produced for decades had a 60s copyright, making many people believe they had vintage toys.
              That was a source of frustration for me as a kid trying to explain to dealers at toy shows that their vintage Barbie was actually brand new.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, I knew a huge Barbie dealer here (she got a lot of Mego) and it was the bane of her existance.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Agent4125
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Aug 23, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                  ... My belief is that date is anchored in the original licensing date for Big Jim himself ... So that date likely applies to the head and body that is licensed solely to Mattel. ...
                  Sorry for the late reply. Yes it's the date on the back of the body. Thanks!

I still have my old Big Jim, Jeff and Josh from childhood. They are from 1976 to 1978.
                  Jim still has the "open hands", while the other two have the later "gripping hands".

Here is the copyright info on the back of my Big Jim (got him in 1976 or 1977):

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎