X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fun guy
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 24, 2011

Custom playsets and vehicles for 4.5"action figures

How can I make custom playsets and vehicles for 4.5"action figures?
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

All sorts of ways. You must be more specific.

Comment

• fun guy
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 24, 2011

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      All sorts of ways. You must be more specific.
      OK,I Have a question:should I follow the same instructions I would,if I wanted to make a custom playset for 8"action figures?,if so,how?
      Also,what kind of materials should I use to make custom playsets and vehicles for 4.5"action figures?
      Last edited by fun guy; Feb 7, '15, 6:31 PM. Reason: i left something out.

Comment

• ZMOQ
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jun 1, 2010

Originally posted by fun guy
        OK,I Have a question:should I follow the same instructions I would,if I wanted to make a custom playset for 8"action figures?,if so,how?
        Also,what kind of materials should I use to make custom playsets and vehicles for 4.5"action figures?
        Well, actually, 4.5"-5" is my favorite size for action figures. It all goes back to 1960's & 1970's jigglers. My Dad used to get us Gi Joe and Action Jackson stuff, which was slightly over-sized for the figures, but at the time, it didn't matter that much. Playtime and making up stories around their adventures was more important.

The scale for 4.5" figures and accessories is 1:15 to 1:16, which is an irregular scale. Too large for standard 3-3/4" Gi Joe stuff, too small for standard dollhouse 1:12 scale stuff.

These days, I do a LOT of miniature buildings, accessories, custom items and I buy some vehicles in that scale.

For vehicles, look for "Chap Mei" playsets. Chap Mei is the manufacturer, and in the US, it is re-branded as "True Heroes" at Toys R Us, or "Soldier Force" at Big Lots, or "US Marines" at Rite-Aid. You can get jeeps, ATVs, and a whole lot of cool weaponry for figures that are 4.5". It was sort of accidental. They MEANT to make their stuff to be (3-3/4") Gi Joe-like, but they made their stuff oversized.

Another source is Lundby dolls/dollhouses, which are 3/4" scale.

You could also google "3/4 scale dollhouse accessories" to see what else you can get.

There is a fantastic line of build-it-yourself stores in that size by Pakitoy. Mostly made for dollhouse builders, but the end results are beautiful and perfect for 4.5" figures.

You can check out my Flickr album and see what I do in that size:

Explore Zee-Mastor’s 148 photos on Flickr!

Comment

• fun guy
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 24, 2011

Originally posted by ZMOQ
          Well, actually, 4.5"-5" is my favorite size for action figures. It all goes back to 1960's & 1970's jigglers. My Dad used to get us Gi Joe and Action Jackson stuff, which was slightly over-sized for the figures, but at the time, it didn't matter that much. Playtime and making up stories around their adventures was more important.

The scale for 4.5" figures and accessories is 1:15 to 1:16, which is an irregular scale. Too large for standard 3-3/4" Gi Joe stuff, too small for standard dollhouse 1:12 scale stuff.

These days, I do a LOT of miniature buildings, accessories, custom items and I buy some vehicles in that scale.

For vehicles, look for "Chap Mei" playsets. Chap Mei is the manufacturer, and in the US, it is re-branded as "True Heroes" at Toys R Us, or "Soldier Force" at Big Lots, or "US Marines" at Rite-Aid. You can get jeeps, ATVs, and a whole lot of cool weaponry for figures that are 4.5". It was sort of accidental. They MEANT to make their stuff to be (3-3/4") Gi Joe-like, but they made their stuff oversized.

Another source is Lundby dolls/dollhouses, which are 3/4" scale.

You could also google "3/4 scale dollhouse accessories" to see what else you can get.

There is a fantastic line of build-it-yourself stores in that size by Pakitoy. Mostly made for dollhouse builders, but the end results are beautiful and perfect for 4.5" figures.

You can check out my Flickr album and see what I do in that size:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17151893@N06/
          Thanks,i have one more question:how can I create custom superhero playsets and vehicles for 4.5"action figures?

Comment

• ZMOQ
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jun 1, 2010

Originally posted by fun guy
            Thanks,i have one more question:how can I create custom superhero playsets and vehicles for 4.5"action figures?
            Oh, you meant SUPERHERO playsets and vehicles. You mean, like the MEGO ones, but smaller?

Well, you could start with the Chap Mei police van (Toys R Us), and customize it? You might need a hot knife to cut the doors open, and some sheet styrene to add whatever extra panels you need, then some Krylon Fusion-For-Plastic spray paint. You can probably construct something close to a Jokermobile and a Mobile Batlab that way. These days you can print decals on an inkjet printer and put them on your vehicles.

Playsets: if you already have the MEGO versions, you could scan the panels, and then scale them down in Photoshop or Microsoft Word and print the artwork on glossy paper. Then, use a jigsaw and cut some 1/8" MDF hardboard and use Mod Podge to glue the artwork onto the board. Most MEGO playsets are 2-D anyway (printed vinyl sheets over cardboard) so color scans printed on glossy paper, pasted on MDF board is a reasonable modern substitute.

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

I saw a site I would have to go looking for again that had panels for the JLU satellite interior. Simple panels are not that hard to create. ( My problem is creating panels I actually like.) Furniture isn't that hard either. If I want to make something I draw it out on plain paper with all of the fold lines, then scan it in and color it in Paint, and then print it.

CCC.

Comment

• fun guy
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 24, 2011

Originally posted by LordMudd
                I saw a site I would have to go looking for again that had panels for the JLU satellite interior. Simple panels are not that hard to create. ( My problem is creating panels I actually like.) Furniture isn't that hard either. If I want to make something I draw it out on plain paper with all of the fold lines, then scan it in and color it in Paint, and then print it.

CCC.
                Wow,that is so cool.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎