X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

17 images from the defunct 1997 Justice League TV film

When I see pictures like this, it reminds me how far the sensibilities of studios have come in a VERY short space in time. And people thought B&R released that same year tanked the Batman franchise. THIS would have tanked the entire hero industry. It's unnerving to wonder how close they came. Is it just me or does the Flash look like the love child between Keaton's Batman and Jack Nicholson? Scary.

• Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

I attempted to watch this a couple of years back just to see if it was as bad as I read. It was worse, I couldn't even make it through the halfway point. It was physically and mentally painful.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

I saw this trailer and that was all I could muster...

JLA pilot from 1997, set to the music from the Justice League animated series (the good first two seasons, not the crap music from Unlimited).

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I actually like the costume aesthetics more than the more conservative costumes we usually get. At least they embraced the subject matter.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I remember really loving this when i got a bootleg of it in '97. It was a different time.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

It would be OK if they cast Alan Alda as a villain and had him speak sarcastically to Martian Manhunter. Seven year old me would probably have loved it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I don't think it would have been as bad had they put Booster and Beetle in it, instead of subbing in Flash and Atom for them. Well, you still had Stiers as the Oreo Maneater, but...

Miguel Ferrer would play the actual Weather Wizard (not the Weather Man as seen here) in the Flash episode of Superman: The Animated Series.

Kim Oja (Ice) was on of the leads on the short-lived FX comedy, "Son of the Beach". I'm not sure why I know that.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

I had a VHS bootleg of it many years ago. it was just awful. it is worth watching once just for it's historical signifigance

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                  It would be OK if they cast Alan Alda as a villain and had him speak sarcastically to Martian Manhunter. Seven year old me would probably have loved it.
                  that would have been some awesome stunt casting.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MegoSteve
                    Superman's Pal
                    • Jun 17, 2005

People like me who complain about movie costumes not being faithful to the original comics should look at these pictures.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2008

The costumes aren't all that bad, I don't have the courage to watch the pilot though.
                      I think the costumes and how faithful they are to the source has to go along with the sensibilities of the era,
                      while considering the fact that movies are a very different visual medium. Things that work in comics, especially
                      books of a different era, aren't going to work on film. These costumes are pretty 'of' their time.
                      My only major complaint with the costumes of the current era is that they often have excessive or unnecessary
                      details. Like, do Captain America's boxers also have that many straps?

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

Ranks up their with Legends of the Super Heroes. Some things would have been better left unseen.

Being reminded of this really shines a spotlight on the job done by Whedon on other Marvel directors and screenwriters.

I just hope the WB/DC is up to the task with Dawn of Justice and Justice League. The wasted potential of the GL movie still saddens me.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by madmarva
                          Ranks up their with Legends of the Super Heroes. Some things would have been better left unseen.
                          IDK--every Captain Marvel fan should sample Howard Morris' gleeful Dr. Sivana IMO.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            IDK--every Captain Marvel fan should sample Howard Morris' gleeful Dr. Sivana IMO.
                            In 2015, even (due to the character's inherent not-so-serious roots compared to the non-Cap Marvel DCU)... and---back THEN? Pre-Maguire Spider-Man live-action stuff (1979 OR 1997)? ANY DC/Marvel was a comic book geek's wet dream!
                            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                              Banned
                              • Aug 4, 2014

I saw this mess once. Didn't need to see it again.

It is worse than the Roger Corman Fantastic Four.

Worse even, than Return of the Swamp Thing.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎