X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by toothaction
    ^ Thanks, fellas! I've been meaning to take a group snap of just the 11 characters from the original 30-some Mego WGSHs (and gals) that the MediBear Consortium got around to rendering this way - 8 from DC and only 3 from Marvel - but for now, here's a few of my arrival snaps of the pretties that aren't represented above:

Supes, of course, is the missing OG, and the last pic is obviously Mr. Mom on vacation.
    Wow you're only missing Venom and Deadpool.
    What I like about these is medicom wanted to make all the DC characters mego did.
    But with Marvel they made the characters who would look the best in the sofubi/bullmark style.
    Of course they catered to who had a film/TV project at the time too (Harley/Deadpool,etc)

Comment

• toothaction
      Career Member
      • Jul 15, 2017

^ Ha, well the absence of Venom and Deadpool is a conscious thing --- I didn't want any toys around the house that tacitly endorsed either McFarlane or Liefeld!

I'd been planning on skipping Deathstroke and Ms. Quinn, too,* but the price was too tempting!

Also... Hi, Mark! Nice to see a familiar 'face'!

*Not that there's anything wrong with them!
      >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by toothaction
        ^ Ha, well the absence of Venom and Deadpool is a conscious thing --- I didn't want any toys around the house that tacitly endorsed either McFarlane or Liefeld!

I'd been planning on skipping Deathstroke and Ms. Quinn, too,* but the price was too tempting!

Also... Hi, Mark! Nice to see a familiar 'face'!

*Not that there's anything wrong with them!
        I had the super sized Venom as a kid and he looked alot like the Sofubi. I picked up the Deadpool because I enjoyed the film alot and it's probably other than Ghost Rider and Swamp Thing one of the best looking figures.

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

Because no one demanded it!

The 11 Medicom/Bear Model toys that are direct homages to specific Megos of old:

The whole of the line:

Swamp Thing and Vision look a little different in hand from these site pics, but everyone else is depicted with total accuracy.

Happy to take a size comparison snap if anybody is interested.
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

I like those a lot. Must resist them.

Comment

• toothaction
              Career Member
              • Jul 15, 2017

My 21st and final* soft vinyl tribute to the WGSH showed up a few days ago:

Figured I'd give my pet thread another bump to celebrate. Now if only a 'real' Vision would go into production!

*Unless of course the line starts up again, which is most doubtful...

The sad sales story of a SuperSofubi:

Happy ending, though!

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

How cool would it be if this company made Universal Monsters sofubi figures?

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

Yeah I've heard marvel figures need a price point of + $80 for the niche market (see Emce). I would have loved to see this line and Gentle giant to continue but it is what it is.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

No Aquaman is terrible, but I do like my Penguin. (Thanks for the tip, Toothy.)
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 24, '17, 4:49 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• toothaction
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 15, 2017

^ You bit, Pengy? Good news!

So it's Marvel's own damn fault that we don't have but maybe 3 repros of their dress-up dollies out there, Mr. Maron? Too quote a thousand comic books, "FOOOOOLS!!!"

Agreed that the Universal crew sculpted by Bearmodel (or some similarly-minded collaborators) would be a welcome addition to the world. Unfortunately, even though Medicom has plenty of pull and funds for licences, the only Universal project they've ever tossed their resources at was with their house-brand of Lego-likes, Kubriks:

Ah well.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        No Aquaman is terrible, but I do like my Penguin. (Thanks for the tip, Toothy.)
                        Wow! now that you mention it, there is no Aquaman it never occurred to me he was missing from the set along with
                        Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash, heck Shazam would have been cool too.

Comment

• toothaction
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 15, 2017

As may have been covered elsewhere in the forum, and as many of you probably already know, the same collaborators from Japan that made the comix toys had one more retro-minded and short-lived project with an American license.

It was based on a rather obscure and under-recognized little B-grade space opera:

The pics are absolutely in no way to scale with one anther. Apologies.

Unfortunately for folk like me, the aftermarket pricing on these fellas has gone towards the other end of the thermometer.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎