X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Altered/covered up brand foods in TV shows/movies

I always get a kick out of how on TV shows and movies (especially old ones) they will have a package of something and will either paint over the logo or do something similar to keep the logo from being seen.

Like I remember seeing a Coke can repainted into "Cola".

On some Hawaii Five-0's I saw recently a coke machine had the the Coca Cola covered with a sign that said (if I remember correctly) "Ours". In other words, the machine read "Drink Ours". But in a later episode, the Coca Cola logo on another machine was allowed to show.

Also on Hawaii Five 0, A scene with a father and son at breakfast shows a Kelloggs Corn Flakes box with the "Kelloggs" covered over.

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

My wife said she saw some show on the Food Network which did a "behind the scenes" with the different shows.

Apparently, Rachel Ray has a person whose job it is to repackage name brand foods or slap labels overtop.

My wife asked why they would bother and I told her they don't want to give away free advertising or anger potential sponsors. The last thing they'd want to do is have a certain brand of pasta advertise with them while she's using a different brand on the show.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

If i'm remembering correctly (haven't seen the show in years) Archie Bunker's beer was clearly a paste-over.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

yeah the most common is usually Coke,i get a kick out of it every time I notice it
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

It's the exact opposite of blantant product placement, like the notorious "Cheerios" box during the Smallville scenes in Superman: The Movie. Ma Kent places the Cheerios box dead square in the middle of the screen!

I've been watching old Home Improvement reruns, and besides the obvious placement of "Binford" over every tool, all the soda cans and food are clearly (and usually hasitly) relabeled.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Wayne's World SPONSOR scene

YouTube - Wayne's World - Sponsors

m

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

I am more peeved when I surf and see a film like Grease on free tv. For instance in the diner scene when everyone is having burgers and shakes all the classic 50's Coke ads are blurred out so you can't see them. The networks are so damn greedy for money they have to tamper with stuff like that.

On the flip side I worked for a low budget movie co. in NY and I remember we appealed to many food manufacturers for free stuff, ( product placement), to feed our crew. The hoops I had to jump thru to try and get any free soda or anything was amazing. They wanted a copy of the script, list of actors, etc. They are trying to see if we are workth donating to, ( we weren't as it turned out), and also potentially looking out for their rep after that Maddonna Pepsi "Like A Prayer" Fiasco years ago. All that aggrivation and they still wouldn't give us any stuff. I would love to see an independent film that uses no product placement but does paste-ups of all too familiar brands like Coke and Pepsi and have one surly character drink the stuff and spit it out. Have them just flat out spew it and curse it and the people who made it to say- who needs your product you bastiches!
              Last edited by johnmiic; Mar 25, '08, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• mego73
                Printed paperboard Tiger
                • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by johnmiic
                I am more peeved when I surf and see a film like Grease on free tv. For instance in the diner scene when everyone is having burgers and shakes all the classic 50's Coke ads are blurred out so you can't see them. The networks are so damn greedy for money they have to tamper with stuff like that.
                That wasn't the network. That is in the actual movie, noticed it for a while. Saw the movie at the Dryden when they invited Randell Kessler (the director) to speak (it was funny, turns out it was a gay film festival and I didn't know it. Randell is gay but practically the whole audience, besides me, was gay. You should've heard the "boo" when they said "All couples have to be boy/girl" in the prom scene. It was fun to see the movie with a once in a lifetime audience).

When they decorated the diner set, they put vintage Coke ads in. But later on they worked out a promo deal with Pepsi so they went in and optically blurred out the Coke ads behind Olivia and the Jock. They also blurred out the Coca Cola logo behind John Travolta on the wall menu. But, in a later scene you can see everything unblurred in the distance.

So all those alterations are in the movie itself.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  It's the exact opposite of blantant product placement, like the notorious "Cheerios" box during the Smallville scenes in Superman: The Movie. Ma Kent places the Cheerios box dead square in the middle of the screen!

Chris
                  I was reminded of that on Smallville with the Stride gum when Pete Ross returned.

Comment

• garagesale
                    Dept. of Mego Studies
                    • Aug 8, 2006

My favorite is just the opposite of all of this: the movie Repo Man, in which they used ONLY GENERIC items.... even the beer... at one point, Emilio Estevez's character Otto eats from a can that simply says FOOD.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎