X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Saga of Crystar Crystal Warrior

I stumbled on this great toy fair ad for Crystar today and it reminded me of the first time I saw the line in a Liesure World as a kid (a store that rarely carried action figures BTW).

Remco and Marvel teamed up on this and it seemed like it would have been a big hit but this was the age of animation mixed with toys, so the saga was markedly short, Crystar doesn't appear in the 1984 Remco catalog.

I love showing this picture, from the 1983 Remco showroom, note the proof cards behind our hero. Wonder where these costumes are now?

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

That second picture makes me think Crystar must have a mighty schlong

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 28, 2013

That reminds me about the animated GI Joe commercials that came out for the comic! Very cool way to intro. a new generation to the comic medium. I remember Woodwards (I think it was Woodwards as they seemed to have the best selection of toys) having a rack for the first issue of the comic when the figures were out. Very good cross promotion.

Comment

• LordMudd
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 22, 2011

I am surprised you didn't post any pics of the action figures.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
          That second picture makes me think Crystar must have a mighty schlong
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Actorman
            Museum Super Collector
            • Oct 4, 2010

The Crystar comic only lasted 11 issues. Does anyone know if the comic was cancelled because the toy line bombed or did the toy line get cancelled because the comic bombed?

I remember seeing these figures in the store and thinking that they looked really cool, but I never owned any.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
              Career Member
              • Jan 13, 2009

Small world! I was reading an article yesterday on Newsarama about the new Secret Wars series coming up, and they were deducing that some obscure properties, like Killraven and Crystar's world may make an appearance.
              Last edited by cockyhoskins; Jan 22, '15, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

The Lava Men look a bit like those red Doctor Who aliens with the suckers, don't they?

I remember being slightly intrigued by Crystar, but I don't recall seeing them on the shelves much. I remember the Marvel comic ads for the figures and the comic more.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                  Banned
                  • Aug 4, 2014

Originally posted by Actorman
                  The Crystar comic only lasted 11 issues. Does anyone know if the comic was cancelled because the toy line bombed or did the toy line get cancelled because the comic bombed?

I remember seeing these figures in the store and thinking that they looked really cool, but I never owned any.
                  Actually, Crystar died when he took a wrong turn in New Mexico and a chemistry teacher whacked him, smashed up his body, and distributed it to impressionable youth.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                    Banned
                    • Aug 4, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    The Lava Men look a bit like those red Doctor Who aliens with the suckers, don't they?
                    Zygons

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I like the Crystar toys. I think they are really cool looking. Translucent plastic is one of my top toy gimmicks. Plus as an added bonus they are in perfect scale with LJN's D&D line.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

'83 was a big year for He-man and Transformers/Go-bots were just around the corner. I still might have gotten into these if they had lasted a little longer with heavy advertisment and I received a few here and there. Of course, now I like them and wish they had been a hit.

Comment

• acrovader
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 19, 2011

I have several of these. The Crystar figure was the best. It's hard to argue about a crystal figure with a crystal sword, shield, and helmet. That being said, the toy line was a bit chintzy.
                          I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                            Banned
                            • Aug 4, 2014

Remco was a great toy company, but they really never could land a hit in the 80s. Sadly, that was their undoing.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Quite right ......

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎