Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I really wish FTC had gotten Mego Marvel license!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

Then your the result of a miracle. Every FTC figure I have, which is all of them except Dick, Bruce, Eggehead, Commissioner Gordon, Bizarro and Mxy have all had quality issues. Especially the female figures.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

To be fair, I don't think any company seems to be immune to factory issues these days. I think I've bought at least one figure in the last year from everybody, that falls flat on it's face when I try to stand it.

I think what most people want when they say FTC is their model of doing things, wave after wave of individual figures which is probably what would be the best plan, were it not for Hasbro it seems.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by enyawd72
        I think the quality issues have been resolved with FTC bodies. I have 24 figures so far and not a single problem with any of them.
        they are great if you want to leave them in the package and never open them.It's when you take them out and try posing them etc....the Arms,if moved a certain way,will actually fall off the rubber band hook inside....they are junk!

Thanks for the S-Type I am now interested in what FTC makes

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Personally, when I think of "quality" for these figures, I really look at overall durability, because the inherit flaws in these figures are really born from the basic concept that holds them together... the bands. The only figures I ever saw that I could, by definition, call garbage were the bodies CTVT use to make that broke right out of the package. I was one of their biggest critics and they fixed those problems when they started investing in pricey licenses. And I think they continue to tweak them. But the technology built into them will always present those problems until they eliminate that concept. The S-bodies did that and I hear few complaints on those. I suspect that will be the design all companies move towards. Cheers to Craig for pioneering that new design.

That being said, I don't see ANY figure line in the Mego scale today that falls into inferior product by any stretch. I have gathered well over 60 figures since FTC started their new licensing push. If poor quality were prevalent, I would think there would be some bad apples in my sampling. I think out of all of them, I've had to replace only one for breakage and four more for tightness issues that went beyond my tolerance mark. That's a pretty good run.

I honestly think most figure lines are praised or assailed according to personal preference. Some love sculpts, while others hate them. Some think heads are too big, while other's find them compatible. Some like the outfits, while still others demand more detail. And through the middle of all that you have price points, availability, and just a general measure of desire. Do people want certain licenses? So I think the core of these figure lines are ultimately measured by things that most companies can't remedy in the process. You're either in because you the love the idea of what they're making or you don't. The rest of it is conjecture used to make people feel "right" in their assessment.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MIB41

I honestly think most figure lines are praised or assailed according to personal preference. Some love sculpts, while others hate them. Some think heads are too big, while other's find them compatible. Some like the outfits, while still others demand more detail. And through the middle of all that you have price points, availability, and just a general measure of desire. Do people want certain licenses? So I think the core of these figure lines are ultimately measured by things that most companies can't remedy in the process. You're either in because you the love the idea of what they're making or you don't. The rest of it is conjecture used to make people feel "right" in their assessment.
            Absolutely, mileage varies. We're never going to agree on anything, unless every single one just falls apart on the card.

One of the reasons I don't like toy reviews is the person's ideal toy probably isn't mine. He don't smoke the same cigarettes as me, so to speak.

I was absolutely smitten with the EMCE Dracula a couple of years ago, I got weird accusations of towing some company line but I have a whole cabinet of generic dracula figures that seem to suggest that may be my deal. I understood other people wanting a realistic Bela, I totally got that.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
              Absolutely, mileage varies. We're never going to agree on anything, unless every single one just falls apart on the card.

One of the reasons I don't like toy reviews is the person's ideal toy probably isn't mine. He don't smoke the same cigarettes as me, so to speak.

I was absolutely smitten with the EMCE Dracula a couple of years ago, I got weird accusations of towing some company line but I have a whole cabinet of generic dracula figures that seem to suggest that may be my deal. I understood other people wanting a realistic Bela, I totally got that.
              Exactly. I think perspective is everything and personally I'm a little lost on why people feel the need to assign an 'agenda' label to others when they have a disagreement over something as trivial as a toy. When I post reviews, they are mostly positive these days because I'm in this hobby to ENJOY it. The stuff I don't like or don't prefer, I mostly don't converse in.

That being said, there will be an occasion when I see something that captures my attention in a less favorable light. If I deem it just a issue of taste, I stay out of the discussion, because I understand the reasons as they apply to me. I'm not one who desires to start a ruckus over something I dislike because I'm looking to acquire a majority vote and "lynch" the person "responsible". It's not part of my character to be that way to anyone.

But I do think where it gets tricky is when reviews cross paths with a product that has contributions from people who reside here. And while I can only speak for myself, I do want everyone reading this to know, I NEVER write any review or post a comment with intent to hurt or personally attack anyone. I understand that this forum is composed of some incredibly gifted and talented folks who bring so much to the hobby. And many times these people find themselves attached to products that hits shelves. I'm seldom aware of the players in this process, where it might be common knowledge to those who do it every day.

But I want those people involved to know I appreciate and respect everything that is done to advance this hobby. These people play a vital role in why we're able to enjoy many of the things we have in our collections today (and I'm eternally grateful). I believe people who offer reviews carry a degree of ownership in how they are stated (more for common sense in conduct than anything). But I think there's also ownership for those who read them too. With so many people involved in this process today, there's a business side to this that sometimes gets overlooked. Where friendships and well meaning posters might find themselves in agreement with so many topics in this hobby, it's not unreasonable to find an occasion when their roles might be unwittingly at odds as consumer and producer. I think this Spider-man product is a textbook example.

So I'm hoping what people like or don't like about this product does not get convoluted into labels about someone being a lap dog anymore than others taking a product criticism personally because they had a role in bringing it to market. This might be one of those rare products that have a strong divide in opinions and I'm hopeful we, as a community, can step back and recognize the differences when people wear their consumer hats, and not take to heart product praise (or criticisms) as somehow intended to appease or demean people on a personal level who might be involved in the process. Lets enjoy the hobby. That's why we're here.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Teemu
                they are great if you want to leave them in the package and never open them.It's when you take them out and try posing them etc....the Arms,if moved a certain way,will actually fall off the rubber band hook inside....they are junk!

Thanks for the S-Type I am now interested in what FTC makes
                All my FTC figures are open and posed...not one problem, other than my Opera Joker exclusive did have some runs in his satin outfit from the velcro.

Comment

• jayraytee
                  Career Member
                  • May 27, 2011

I don't think it's a matter of taste. I compare the quality of each line to the quality of MEGO since that is what they are trying to reproduce. FTC after as many figures as they have produced still isn't up to the quality of an original MEGO. The body plastic is thinner, the bands are still too tight (not as bad as originally), the female bodies are the worst of the bunch. I bought Batgirl and Supergirl for my daughter for Christmas on Christmas day the hands fell off, not to mention their hunched over neckless posture that has to be repaired. Sure I can put thehands back on, and restring them, but why is it original MEGOs have held up better for decades?

My argument is not that FTC is the worst, but they shouldn't get high marks on quality either. If people make the argument that there are quality issues with the new EMCE figures and that they would be better if they were made by FTC... I would say that argument is proven false by a simple look at FTC's figures. If the issue is Chinese production, then all of these lines will have the same problems. But if that is the case, then why was EMCE's Trek and Apes figures so close in quality to original MEGOs, why is the Type S so good? The Type S isn't thin and brittle. (And yes I agree the original CTTV figures were probably the worst of the bunch, and FTC stuff is better than that.) It's a step closer to MEGO in quality but is still fairly far from there.

I don't think attacking any company with a non-objective bias is helpful, but painting the picture as everything is wonderful and rosey isn't helpful either. Honest feedback is good.
                  Last edited by jayraytee; Jan 21, '15, 3:14 PM.
                  My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• jimsmegos
                    Mego Dork
                    • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
                    Exactly. I think perspective is everything and personally I'm a little lost on why people feel the need to assign an 'agenda' label to others when they have a disagreement over something as trivial as a toy. When I post reviews, they are mostly positive these days because I'm in this hobby to ENJOY it. The stuff I don't like or don't prefer, I mostly don't converse in.

That being said, there will be an occasion when I see something that captures my attention in a less favorable light. If I deem it just a issue of taste, I stay out of the discussion, because I understand the reasons as they apply to me. I'm not one who desires to start a ruckus over something I dislike because I'm looking to acquire a majority vote and "lynch" the person "responsible". It's not part of my character to be that way to anyone.

But I do think where it gets tricky is when reviews cross paths with a product that has contributions from people who reside here. And while I can only speak for myself, I do want everyone reading this to know, I NEVER write any review or post a comment with intent to hurt or personally attack anyone. I understand that this forum is composed of some incredibly gifted and talented folks who bring so much to the hobby. And many times these people find themselves attached to products that hits shelves. I'm seldom aware of the players in this process, where it might be common knowledge to those who do it every day.

But I want those people involved to know I appreciate and respect everything that is done to advance this hobby. These people play a vital role in why we're able to enjoy many of the things we have in our collections today (and I'm eternally grateful). I believe people who offer reviews carry a degree of ownership in how they are stated (more for common sense in conduct than anything). But I think there's also ownership for those who read them too. With so many people involved in this process today, there's a business side to this that sometimes gets overlooked. Where friendships and well meaning posters might find themselves in agreement with so many topics in this hobby, it's not unreasonable to find an occasion when their roles might be unwittingly at odds as consumer and producer. I think this Spider-man product is a textbook example.

So I'm hoping what people like or don't like about this product does not get convoluted into labels about someone being a lap dog anymore than others taking a product criticism personally because they had a role in bringing it to market. This might be one of those rare products that have a strong divide in opinions and I'm hopeful we, as a community, can step back and recognize the differences when people wear their consumer hats, and not take to heart product praise (or criticisms) as somehow intended to appease or demean people on a personal level who might be involved in the process. Lets enjoy the hobby. That's why we're here.
                    Very well said. Being one who really enjoys doing reviews I to do them not in an effort to slight the product but instead give folks who are teetering in to jumping in the water to go ahead and dive in. I am pro-Re-Mego all day. I stood loud and proud for the Retro's even with their flaws and moaned and cried and threw stones with the original run of CTVT reproductions and figures that had such terrible quality issues. Now the tables seemed to have turned in regards to quality issues by company. FTC has really stepped it up. Not perfect but far better than they ever were. And the DST / EMCE changes (painted vinyl heads and now Spidey issues) really hurt the most. No I haven't gotten the Spidey set and now probably won't. I truly hold the EMCE product to a higher standard because in my opinion its how they began. The best. So to see that degrade is just heartbreaking and probably a reason why folks are taking it all so badly.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by jimsmegos
                      Very well said. Being one who really enjoys doing reviews I to do them not in an effort to slight the product but instead give folks who are teetering in to jumping in the water to go ahead and dive in. I am pro-Re-Mego all day. I stood loud and proud for the Retro's even with their flaws and moaned and cried and threw stones with the original run of CTVT reproductions and figures that had such terrible quality issues. Now the tables seemed to have turned in regards to quality issues by company. FTC has really stepped it up. Not perfect but far better than they ever were. And the DST / EMCE changes (painted vinyl heads and now Spidey issues) really hurt the most. No I haven't gotten the Spidey set and now probably won't. I truly hold the EMCE product to a higher standard because in my opinion its how they began. The best. So to see that degrade is just heartbreaking and probably a reason why folks are taking it all so badly.
                      That right there, I believe, perfectly sums up the emotional side of the reactions. It surprised me too. But it doesn't change my respect for Paul and those involved. It's one product out of scores he has nailed so nicely. I'm sure as the days go by, we'll get more clarity on this and everyone can move on.

Comment

• Teemu
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by jayraytee
                        I don't think it's a matter of taste. I compare the quality of each line to the quality of MEGO since that is what they are trying to reproduce. FTC after as many figures as they have produced still isn't up to the quality of an original MEGO. The body plastic is thinner, the bands are still too tight (not as bad as originally), the female bodies are the worst of the bunch. I bought Batgirl and Supergirl for my daughter for Christmas on Christmas day the hands fell off, not to mention their hunched over neckless posture that has to be repaired. Sure I can put thehands back on, and restring them, but why is it original MEGOs have held up better for decades?

My argument is not that FTC is the worst, but they shouldn't get high marks on quality either. If people make the argument that there are quality issues with the new EMCE figures and that they would be better if they were made by FTC... I would say that argument is proven false by a simple look at FTC's figures. If the issue is Chinese production, then all of these lines will have the same problems. But if that is the case, then why was EMCE's Trek and Apes figures so close in quality to original MEGOs, why is the Type S so good? The Type S isn't thin and brittle. (And yes I agree the original CTTV figures were probably the worst of the bunch, and FTC stuff is better than that.) It's a step closer to MEGO in quality but is still fairly far from there.

I don't think attacking any company with a non-objective bias is helpful, but painting the picture as everything is wonderful and rosey isn't helpful either. Honest feedback is good.
                        good post!

FTC would be producing "Marvel figures" on that crappy feather weight body and would likely gives us the same result as EMCE or worse...I don't see how FTC would make these better than EMCE

Comment

• jimsmegos
                          Mego Dork
                          • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by Teemu
                          good post!

FTC would be producing "Marvel figures" on that crappy feather weight body and would likely gives us the same result as EMCE or worse...I don't see how FTC would make these better than EMCE
                          Arguably it would be the MSRP that would allow for a little more wiggle room. Although the new $29.99 is too high IMO. $24.99 was the cap for me.

Comment

• Boxheadman
                            • Jul 24, 2014

I really feel sorry for FTC and Emce. They have to produce "vintage looking" figures for collectors with 21st century expectations. They can't make them look too detailed, or the figures lose that nostalgic feel, yet if they are not detailed enough, customers will feel "cheated." How do they win? I think people were expecting The Emce Spider-Man set to be a little closer to what FTC is doing with their '66 line. Mego feel, with modern detail. In the end, it looks like you kind of get a mashup with the set. A mix of modern and vintage which kind of throws the entire thing off. Says the guy who has yet to hold the set in his hand. What a time to be alive though right? Plenty of figures to gripe about with no end in sight!

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Boxheadman
                              I really feel sorry for FTC and Emce. They have to produce "vintage looking" figures for collectors with 21st century expectations. They can't make them look too detailed, or the figures lose that nostalgic feel, yet if they are not detailed enough, customers will feel "cheated." How do they win? I think people were expecting The Emce Spider-Man set to be a little closer to what FTC is doing with their '66 line. Mego feel, with modern detail. In the end, it looks like you kind of get a mashup with the set. A mix of modern and vintage which kind of throws the entire thing off. Says the guy who has yet to hold the set in his hand. What a time to be alive though right? Plenty of figures to gripe about with no end in sight!

Well put, it's also because we can't all agree what we want. Some people want 8" Hot Toys, others want happy smiling Batman, nobody is wrong really. I think the Neca Taylor is nice but too detailed for my apes shelf but who cares? It's a toy and I put him there anyway.

Comment

• Teemu
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Boxheadman
                                If Mego was making figures today, don't you think they would evolve and make figures better? Not everyone wants Mego's that look like they are from the 70's all the time...In this day and age, 8" figures need to look better and I can imagine if Mego was around today,8" Figures would look like Hot Toys by today's standards..

Sometimes updated "modern" figures NEED to happen vs the same ole 70's/80's nostalgia everytime.Mego figures today NEED to step up in their make and design instead of doing the same ole thing over and over

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎