Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I really wish FTC had gotten Mego Marvel license!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I cannot embrace this "it's all a matter of taste" defense of any company advertising "vintage" Mego reproductions.

I sincerely believe there are certain benchmarks of material, fabrication, and scale that should be acknowledged as part of the effort.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

I'm a customizer at heart...so for me, it all comes down to the head. I want a "Roto-cast" head in flesh color. I can paint heads, but when I spend $70 to $80 dollars for a figure....the only thing that should be painted on is the hair, eyes and eyebrow's. The flesh tone should be cast in rubber...not painted on!
      sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

AMEN!!
        JediJaida

Comment

• jacoblb
          Persistent Member
          • May 7, 2009

I agree with the logic of the Mego purists who don't want the heads to be needlessly painted. What puzzles me is, I would have thought the kinks would have been worked out with DST because when this happened to Captain Pike the reaction wasn't favorable like this Spidey figure...unless DST wasn't persuaded. Captain Pike isn't cheap in the secondary market.

I guess people will have to vote with their wallets, but I've no idea if poor sales or a downward turn of sales or returns would be indication for DST that the figure was produced in a manner unfavorably or if they'd just assume there wasn't enough interest to support the format (the stance Mattel took.)

Comment

• wise guy
            Career Member
            • Dec 29, 2014

I would rather pay one hundred dollars for 4 new figures than eighty dollars for one figure with costumes and heads.
            It's like ctv toys gets it and the Marvel says " if you wan't this figure you have to buy it this way or nothing"

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              I cannot embrace this "it's all a matter of taste" defense of any company advertising "vintage" Mego reproductions.

I sincerely believe there are certain benchmarks of material, fabrication, and scale that should be acknowledged as part of the effort.
              I agree with that standard, but that's at the heart of the problem; we don't have a common criteria as that requires criticism of what falls short and some see anything non-positive or not couched in positive terms as just being negative for it's own end. So when honest issues are raised, it quickly turns into a subjective debate. That's been the greatest bane of the web over the past decade. Being complimentary or praising has no value if the person never establishes a litmus for what's bad. So it's not actually a review, it's free marketing.

For that very reason, I opt to read the complaints and see if they align with my criteria. Using EMCE Spidey for example, I ignored the FB posts and waited for someone here to post honest shots. The only major concern I've seen is the size of Parker's head. Even the change in shape is negotiable, as I'm only disappointed because I've seen how dead-accurate the prototype was. If I never the saw the proto, I'd be really into how Romita-esque Parker turned out.

For FTC, the problem for me is I no longer have any idea as to what they're trying to accomplish. I know exactly what Doc is going for, and I have a good grasp as to what CAW/ZICA were trying to invent. But with Figures, it's a blank. If they're trying to be Mego II, then the list of complaints are extremely valid. If they're just trying to cash in on the DC license, than they need to put out product on a clockwork schedule, accuracy be damned. If they're angling to corner the 8-inch parts market, then they need to focus on the needs of the customizer. Right now, they're doing a little of each at a sub-optimal level.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

IF those pics are legit, then this bickering is pointless---painted heads----multiple holes in every costume pinned to packaging----the unexpectedly glaringly oversized glasses---and some freakish Parker headsculpt design from outta left field? That stuff ain't some "walk in the park" perspective issues---that stuff'd be the most major disregard of quality control I've ever seen----and, it'd be a disregard committed (so ironically) on a property/character that could arguably be the most celebrated character in Mego history, and, thereby a character which shouldn't even NEAR approach the misfire that those pics suggest.

NOW---if those pics (and the review are a scam)---well, hey, then it's ALL a moot point.

Someone let us know when this is apparently "confirmed" that those photos (and review) are the "real deal" or not. If it ain't the real deal, then I can't believe it took this long to figure that out, and that no one (of all the ardent FTC/EMCE fans on this board) cried foul right off the bat when those pics were posted.

EDITED TO ADD:Interesting that altho the pics apparently are legit, an "agenda" may have come into play w/those original pics---dust still settling
                Last edited by huedell; Jan 22, '15, 10:35 AM.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                  I agree with that standard, but that's at the heart of the problem; we don't have a common criteria as that requires criticism of what falls short and some see anything non-positive or not couched in positive terms as just being negative for it's own end. So when honest issues are raised, it quickly turns into a subjective debate. That's been the greatest bane of the web over the past decade. Being complimentary or praising has no value if the person never establishes a litmus for what's bad. So it's not actually a review, it's free marketing.
                  I disagree with this take---both FTC and EMCE are undeniably making WGSH replicas here---and the new characters (Bizarro, Alfred, Parker Mach 2 -NOT an AE replica- Modern Spidey, etc) are to be held to "these are new Megos in the style of the old ones" standard---i.e. if the line ended in 1980, then this stuff looks to be 1981 in style, to dovetail with classic WGSH Supes, Bats, Spidey, Cap, etc. There's no two ways about it. This ain't Mattel/EMCE's Retro line from years back we're talking about here---there's no "wiggle room".
                  Last edited by huedell; Jan 22, '15, 12:42 AM.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Iron Mego
                    Wake Up Heavy
                    • Jan 31, 2010

The pics from Facebook were the real deal, but it seems the person who posted them might have an "agenda." However, there have been other pictures posted that show the same issues.

Sorry guys... Mom had an Emergency trip to the ER or these would have been sooner... First off I'm gonna start with price $69 plus 2 $7 type S Bodies $14 $83 total for 3 figures that's $27 apice $2 off 3 FTC figures and those of you who are replacing the FTC Bodies with Type S bodies your price is now $96 for 3 FTC figures $13
                    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

A couple comments on the issues raised here:

When dealing with reproducing something from the 70's, one thing you have to keep in mind is that decades have passed and the toy industry has changed immensely. Production processes, materials, regulations, costs, all are vastly different than they were in Mego's day. If the Peter head in the Spidey set is painted flesh color, it's probably because it's cast in red like the masked heads. Running all three at once in one mold in one color is cheaper, and it is something you see across the industry today (anyone who got the 6 inch DC Classics Atom from Mattel has the best example on the planet; blue pieces painted red and red pieces painted blue. all mismatched with the parts cast in color and left that way, all because certain pieces were in the same mold. It's a mess to look at). What can be done with the FTC figures is also susceptible to what the industry will bear today. You can't make a figure with exactly the construction of the old Megos as it definitely wouldn't pass safety standards (small, easily removed metal hooks holding arms and legs are a no go). What materials are available for the price that can be paid has also likely changed considerably, so no repro is going to be exact.

That said, there are things that have been changed or fallen short that likely don't fall into that category. THe tight rather than blousy sleeves on the Supergirl costume, likely the save the cost of the elastic at the cuffs (though they could simply have been gathered and still slipped over the hands), was a design choice I seriously doubt had anything to do with changes since the original days. Same goes for the see-through vinyl belts; I've seen vinyl out there used on figures and dolls that isn't cheap and translucent like that.

So it is a mixed bag. some of the differences are unavoidable because it's no longer the seventies, but some are the result of apparent corner cutting that's simply and sadly the modern way of making toys...

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 13, 2009

Originally posted by huedell
                        EDITED TO ADD:Interesting that altho the pics apparently are legit, an "agenda" may have come into play w/those original pics---dust still settling
                        I think the issues are real, but overstated by the FB poster. He clearly has a hard-on for EMCE. After this exchange on FB, I basically hit the ignore button on him.

BC (photo poster): It says frequent collaborator and master sculptor Andrew Covalt...This book is so silly The time they spent on this instead hiring a better team. Too many buds working together like the scooby Doo gang and not enough seasoned professionals bringing out the best product to market.

CH: Andrew Covalt is a great sculptor IMO. He does plenty of Mego scale and 1/6th scale heads, including the NECA Taylor head recently. Glad to see the latest pics show the set in a much better light. I was getting worried! I'm hoping that the Romita sculpt is hiding underneath that paint app.

BC (photo poster): Is he? Wish the final produced product showed that. It did look nice as a proto-type. I guess it can be hard having your artistic work judged depending on how the end product tuns out and who brings it to market.
                        He apparently has nothing nice to say about them.
                        Last edited by cockyhoskins; Jan 23, '15, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I've had time to digest and this is my take... I really have no interest in grading reviews so much as the pictures and how they translate to me in rendering an opinion. As we've discussed earlier in this thread, reviews are one part objective, three parts personal. Taste and personal choice cater much to how we see a product. Only much later, after our feelings are removed, do we see things for what they are in a clear light. That's why I have no interest in debating "merits" in reviews. When I see those complaints, it becomes personal (NO ONE is being objective) and it becomes about picking your friends and has nothing to do with the product in question.

The pictures I saw on Facebook and the pictures I saw later here, only vary in lighting and what was and wasn't shown. This is what those pictures told me - There's a definable quality issue with how these items were packaged. Its been demonstrated by nearly everyone that the product either takes on noticeable damage (such as the clothes) upon being removed or can be damaged unless you figure out a creative way to remove it (such as the inner box glued excessively to the inner packaging).

Another consistent error I see is on the modern Spider-man costume. The webbing design is completely off at the ab/belt region. You have lines going up either side that abruptly stop and curve inward suggesting they got lost somewhere in the design aspect of the webbing meeting at the spider and just abandoned the whole point of why it works the way it does. It definitely throws it off and at first glance looks like a seam mismatch when in fact it's just a defect in the pattern itself. For me, that gives the costume a flaw that ads to that custom look.

On the personal taste front, I'm not a fan of fully painted heads because they register to my eyes as customs. Now I have customs that fit this description and I paid good money for those. But I paid allot because they ARE customs, hand made, and very limited as a result. That's the value I apply. On a mass produced item, I expect a higher grade of quality to apply, especially if it's vinyl. I saw a picture of that Parker standing next to a Re-Mego and that drove home the point. It's as glaring to me as those who dislike heads they feel are too big. They say it doesn't fit with their display. That's the same rule I use here. I like the sculpts though. Once again, personal taste.

So, for me, I don't feel as if I'm missing out on anything by passing. The price point only makes it easier, but at $30.00 I would have passed too. Anything I buy, whether it be a toy for my grandson or something for my collection, should survive being unpackaged. I'm happy and excited for those who got the product they wanted. I'm not here to persuade one way or the other. But I do hope Paul and company take note of the quality issues that entered into the packaging of this set and fix those for future lines so people buying these do not have to encounter such damages again. Now... onto the next action figure! It's a crowded marketplace.
                          Last edited by MIB41; Jan 23, '15, 2:53 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

It's an $80 purchase, you'd better be happy with it. There are some issues, for sure, so if something bugs you in a photo, it'll probably bug you at home too.

I'm ok with painted heads but I now understand the issue that people have with them.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

If the guy has an issue with EMCE, why give them 80 bucks?
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• invisiblelad
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 6, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                                If the guy has an issue with EMCE, why give them 80 bucks?
                                He didn't, according to him he gave EMCE between $280.00 - $320.00. He claims he bought x4 SETS. So depending if they were $70 or $80 per set...........He gave them a good deal more! (Again, he said he bought x4 sets & I have NO idea if it's true or not).

T-Bolt, I just noticed your tagline has changed! I'm SO SORRY for your loss w/ Punky! I sincerely am! Last winter I lost my Cat CODY of 16 1/2 years & it's horrible! My condolences 2 you.
                                Last edited by invisiblelad; Jan 23, '15, 2:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎