X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoapesnut
    The name says it all!
    • Dec 3, 2007

The Mysterious Black Cuffed Soldier Ape

So... I just accidentally stumbled onto something that may change the variation count for the POTA solider apes. For many years, I thought I had a black cuffed ape sitting on my shelf. Looking at it in any room light, it looks absolutely like it is a black tunic. I had several of the figures laying on my desk this morning and turned on a very high intensity magnifying lamp to look over a proof here at work. The "black" tunic figure was lying directly under the light and when I flicked on the lamp, voila! It suddenly jumped out as a VERY dark blue and not black. In my group shot, he looks most definitely black. The fabric backing is grey and the stitching is light grey. This is what I have accepted as the "black" cuffed ape for years.

The blue cuffed ape has blue fabric backing and blue stitching.

And here they are side by side in a cell phone pic I just took.

However, under intense light, you can see that it is actually a REALLY DARK blue and not true black. Look at the fabric right next to the black of the head.

This throws me completely for a loop. I also remember an incident some years back where a member called out another member for selling him a "black" cuffed ape but it turned out to be blue. This has me wondering if there are any TRUE black cuffed apes out there. Does anyone have one that they can photograph under a very intense light to dispell this thought?
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

PM'ed ya!… and yeah, let's all try to confirm.

My recollection of the one that passed through by hands had a dark black backing fabric instead of grey. Also the black tone of the tunic was more of a warm (ivory) black, opposed to a deep shiny (mars) black.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

I hope you guys can figure this out... I don't own a "black" Soldier Ape, but it'll be good to know if there are any true black ones out there...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Hmmm, this is a thorny issue; black pigments have an undertone of brown, blue, or even green.

My "black" cuffed Palitoy tunic, on an Ursus, has dark gray thread and what I would consider a black lining. It has gray highlights in the same manner as the toed boots.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I don't know, that one on the right still looks black to me.

Comment

• scifiguy94
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 18, 2009

Originally posted by megoapesnut
            This throws me completely for a loop. I also remember an incident some years back where a member called out another member for selling him a "black" cuffed ape but it turned out to be blue. This has me wondering if there are any TRUE black cuffed apes out there. Does anyone have one that they can photograph under a very intense light to dispell this thought?
            I still have this pic from that incident. In that case it was a cuffed Ursus, but the one purchased on the right as a black tunic turned out to be blue too.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

That seller was me, I looked at the dark tunic more closely, including the thread, and conceded it was a very dark blue. I was just learning about variants back then. I did later sell it as a blue set after providing Pat a refund as I'm sure Megoapesnut recalls.

I will say--and perhaps I'm just being stubborn--that the other cuffed tunic I retained and have examined in bright light, seems black to me as I posted above.

These tunics were loose , but from England & I assume Palitoy issues.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 26, '15, 4:59 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                The name says it all!
                • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                That seller was me, I looked at the dark tunic more closely, including the thread, and conceded it was a very dark blue. I was just leaning about variants back then. I did later sell it as a blue set after providing Pat a refund as I'm sure Megoapesnut recalls.
                I honestly did not remember who the seller and buyer were, I just remembered the incident. Now that you reminded me, I do remember it being you and Pat.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I will say--and perhaps I'm just being stubborn--that the other cuffed tunic I retained and have examined in bright light, seems black to me as I posted above.
                That's good enough for me. I guess now I am wondering if the true blacks were on Ursus, and if any were ever on a solider ape.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

All of the loose apes I received from England were actually Soldiers. Since I collect loose figures, I tend to mix parts until I'm satisfied with a "perfect" figure.

My Ursi are purple cuffed & "black" cuffed. My soldiers are navy, brown, silver, & bright blue.

The "black" cuffed tunic was originally intended for an Aldo custom...

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

I have a pic from a UK auction back in 2012 or so which also appears to be a black tunic on the General…*I'll post it up when I get a chance this week.

I kept this image because it appeared so similar to one I had (mentioned above) and subsequently ruined in a regretful Aldo-custom-gone-bad experiment. :(

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

WW, it sounds as if you and I have similar black tunics...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎