X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by MIB41
    ^^^ Thanks for the link! Very good review. Yeah, I noticed the tonal difference as well. Not sure if that was the way the lighting hit the paint versus the plastic but we'll see if that translates in person when I get mine. His comments about not really caring for Mego's, (but liking these), really makes the point I was talking about on another thread about the various "Re-Mego" figure lines. To me, this is not truly a Re-Mego so much as an eight inch scaled figure with most of it's heritage influenced in the six and seven inch lines (with more detailed sculpts and paints) but with a nod to Mego with a cloth outfit. There are no boots or shoes to remove, so it's not really a figure that you can "dress up", which I think is how allot of modern day fans define a traditional Mego (hence the doll-like qualities). Really looking forward to getting mine.
    I agree with your points on how Re-Mego 8 inch figures are defined, but more so since I became a member of the board. I remember seeing the Mattel line in ToysRuS and thinking they looked like retro Mego, and terribly out of place stocked in with the new toys (I expected a modern version to look like Type3Toys' figures with modern packaging like the G.I. Joe 2002 vacuum formed cardback or the Sigma Six box). I've since come to appreciate them so much more and bought a lot of them. Must be a difficult balancing act to capture the old Mego feel but add new characters. Even though I am partial to the NECA line, I still have yet to buy one and continue to buy the more retro type figures.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Here's a brand new video review and it sadly appears the tonal discrepancies are just as obvious. Ah well. I wasn't sure if I was going to leave the jacket on, but this pretty much seals the deal that I need to. That kind of makes the cobra print a waste. I'll have to check and see if maybe a new paint app will fix that.

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
        Here is a nice review of the figure with pics of the new arm articulation...

Does the body color shade look different than the head and hands to you folks? Not a deal breaker for me but it looks like Ash' body is closer in tone than the one they used?
        yep...Plissken is using the Scream torso and has the same lighter skin tone.His head is painted while the body is molded.....ASH is the only figure that has a matching head and body skin tone

Having Plissken in hand makes me wish Hasbro (or NECA hehe) would do an 8" GI Joe- A Real American Hero of 80's characters.It would be an amazing line if they were anything like this figure

Comment

• toysrus
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 23, 2007

Cool looking figure. But where did you buy this figure? I cant find it

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Thanks for the link! Very good review. Yeah, I noticed the tonal difference as well. Not sure if that was the way the lighting hit the paint versus the plastic but we'll see if that translates in person when I get mine. His comments about not really caring for Mego's, (but liking these), really makes the point I was talking about on another thread about the various "Re-Mego" figure lines. To me, this is not truly a Re-Mego so much as an eight inch scaled figure with most of it's heritage influenced in the six and seven inch lines (with more detailed sculpts and paints) but with a nod to Mego with a cloth outfit. There are no boots or shoes to remove, so it's not really a figure that you can "dress up", which I think is how allot of modern day fans define a traditional Mego (hence the doll-like qualities). Really looking forward to getting mine.
            This is the step that the scale needs to take to get away from the "retro" tag and appeal to a wider audience that see Mego as dollies. If the Neca line is a hit and has legs, it should pull people in that can't afford or refuse to pay 200 or so for Hot Toys.
            Last edited by thunderbolt; Jan 25, '15, 5:12 AM.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by toysrus
              Cool looking figure. But where did you buy this figure? I cant find it
              You can order him from the Amazon site right now. Everyone else appears to be sold out.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

The jacket looks like Leatherface made it with a chainsaw, so that has to go.
                I think the weathering was done by a factory worker with a dremel tool, after having been at work for like 36 hours straight.

If I make a new jacket, it'll be ok.
                Too bad about the mismatched skin shading...
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• CAZAFANTASMA
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2, 2013

Enough about the jacket!
                  Does any body know if the boots can be removed?
                  My EPIC FOR SALE threat ! http://megomuseum.com/community/show...oys-Real-nice!

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Nope. The boots are a sculpted piece on the body which are jointed at the knees and ankles.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^This is an aspect of the Neca figures which for me is very off-putting--I like the Mego aspect off removable boots.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        ^This is an aspect of the Neca figures which for me is very off-putting--I like the Mego aspect off removable boots.
                        That pretty much alludes to what we've been talking about in regards to it's measure as a Re-Mego. It's not really intended to be a straight out Mego-style figure that can be customized and dressed differently. When I look at them, I see them as cousins to Mego, but not a direct competitor for that market. I think their main niche remains the six and seven inch market and these are a nice hybrid to cater to that audience and pull in bonus business from the Mego crowd as well. I definitely apply different expectations between these and a standard Re-Mego figure.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I'm sold on doing a complete repaint on the head. I think even the hair is too dark. But the sculpt is absolutely there. I'll post before and after shots when I'm done.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                            Persistent Member
                            • Apr 28, 2013

I'm sold on doing a complete repaint on the head. I think even the hair is too dark. But the sculpt is absolutely there. I'll post before and after shots when I'm done.
                            That is great to know the sculpt is there! I was almost considering buying a different head but that is cool to know the details are there. I look forward to seeing your before and after! I seem to be more picky with figures that I see online than when I see them in person. Pretty sure my Plissken isnt going to be leaving his plastic tray for the time he will be with me.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Just got mine in the mail and I have to say the pics really threw me on the paint job. I like the job they did on mine. I think the essence of the sculpt is all captured so I don't think a repaint is warranted here . Mine doesn't have nearly the paint issues slop on the beard that I've seen on some of these, so maybe I got lucky. And my jacket has a much better worn effect than I've seen by others too. I'm tickled to death with this figure. It's very nice. I'll post an extensive photo review tonight and see if I can capture some better details. But I can say, categorically, this is a keeper. It was worth the wait!

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

I'm buoyed by your report Tom, looking forward to this guy.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎