Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planet of the Apes TV series soundtrack available now!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Planet of the Apes TV series soundtrack available now!

A company called La La Land Records has released a special (expanded) edition of the soundtrack to the POTA television series today... This is different than the one released by Intrada in 2005 in that it's a 2 CD set and almost double the amount of music... Limited to 2,000 copies... List price is $24.98 plus $5.00 standard shipping...

Here's the link: http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/Plan...TV-Series.html
    Last edited by apes3978; Jan 13, '15, 6:00 PM. Reason: typo
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Wow!! That is so cool! I always wanted that. Thanks for the link!!

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

One of the harder POTA soundtracks to get in any format; this is great news. <Ordered!> Thanks!

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

You guys are welcome... Glad this information is of use to you...

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Just an FYI: I ordered this on the day it was released and received it today (one week later), so it should start showing up in your mailboxes soon if it hasn't already...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

I have all the Apes soundtracks, so I need this. It'll be my first purchase next month.

Beneath was pretty hard to find, got that one from a Japanese seller.
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by apes3978
              Just an FYI: I ordered this on the day it was released and received it today (one week later), so it should start showing up in your mailboxes soon if it hasn't already...
              If you get a chance, can you give us a review? Would love to hear what you think!

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by MIB41
                If you get a chance, can you give us a review? Would love to hear what you think!
                Regarding this soundtrack: I'm not very good at reviewing things, but I'll give a quick overview (if you can call it that )

I have not thoroughly read the liner notes yet, but I have glanced at them... While the writing style itself is fine, there are *a lot* of mistakes... For instance, the author writes that Ron Harper was cast as *Burke* and James Naughton was *Virdon*. He also states that the TV series "movies" included the *unaired* episode "Up Above the World So High", he refers to Fauna from "The Deception" as *Farna*,(oh yeah, "Farna" falls in love with *Virdon*, not Burke) and he states that *Virdon* is the one subjected to brainwashing in "The Interrogation"... I am sure there are other mistakes, but those just jumped out at me upon glancing at the notes... I can see getting an ape's name incorrect, but mixing up which actor played which astronaut is really unacceptable (talk about the need for fact checkers!). One other thing that stands out is the use of a picture of Zira, Milo, and Cornelius from ESCAPE: Every other picture in the liner notes booklet is from the TV series in one way or another, but the ESCAPE photo shouldn't have been used at all (I guess to them, "All apes look alike", lol).

The music itself though, is great... I am quite satisfied with the sound: To my ears, it sounds as good as any other CDs that I own (soundtrack or otherwise), so there's no problems there as far as I'm concerned... I have not yet listened to all of the music, I've got CD 2 playing right now (since the first CD contains a lot of the cues from the 2005 INTRADA release of the TV series soundtrack), and it's cool to have these tracks presented with fuller sound as opposed to how they would have sounded when broadcast over the air... When listening to it, you can envision a lot of the scenes these cues were used for...

Overall, I would say that it was well worth the price... I think that anyone who buys this will be satisfied with it, I know I am...

PS: Disc 1 contains 50 tracks and comes in at 58:51, Disc 2 contains 62 tracks and comes in at 68:15... Total playing time is 127:06.

PPS: On Disc 2, the second to the last track, track 61, is titled "Wind Machine"... When it started playing, I thought I had a defective disc until I looked at the track listing, then the noise made sense... Still, it's a very annoying track, to my ears anyway...
                Last edited by apes3978; Jan 21, '15, 5:37 PM. Reason: wanted to add to my post

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Great review! Thank you so very much. I can't wait to get mine.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Sounds like a big chunk a music with two hours of playing time. When I buy a soundtrack, I do want "the works".
                    Beneath also has a big section of "sound effects" on the CD, that Wind Machine track will be something like that.
                    A pity they got facts wrong.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

I look fwd. to reading what you guys think of this CD once yours arrive...

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

I ordered on the 14th and had it on the 16th, so LaLa has some good customer service action there… haven't hit the liner notes yet, but got through disc 01 blaring on a 7.1 Bose Acoustimass system and it sounds incredibly good. No comparison to my rip of the original release which now horribly pales in comparison.

Pretty much I was transported to the Planet of the Apes with this new offering. Haunting, intriguing, peculiar, and just when a melody catches you then comes a Gorilla-pounding-minor-chord to rattle your cage.

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

Confessional:I like your short, but enthusiastic review.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

I gotta pick this up at some point.

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Here's a review of the soundtrack... He doesn't get really detailed, but he gives it a postive review:

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎