X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • houseofdracula
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 11, 2011

Tips and Tricks for Batman 66.

Let me just start off by saying that I think that FTC is doing a Fantastic job with the Batman 66 figures.
    However, there are things that can be improved on to make these figures look more screen accurate and they are quick and easy to do.
    Some of these photos aren't that great because I was in a hurry but you'll get the idea.

The Mad Hatter's Hat:

The 1966 Mad Hatter figure is a GREAT figure, maybe even the best of the series.
    However, you may have noticed that his hat is made of a harder plastic and doesn't fit his head very well, it just balances there.
    Well, there is an easy fix.

I can't take credit for this idea, It was originally posted by a member of the 1966 message board and I tried it and it works.
    Just like you would use a hair dryer to remove hands and heads from figures, you can use a hair dryer to soften the plastic of the hat and while it's soft, you just place it on the Mad Hatter's head, the way you think it looks best.

While we're talking about the Mad Hatter, I also replaced his hands with White gloved hands.
    The Mad Hatter appeared twice on the show, once with White gloves and then in Gray gloves so either one is correct.
    Batdolls 014.jpg

Velcro Jackets:

I saw that someone removed the Velcro from Shame's jacket because he wanted to keep the jacket opened but the Velcro just looked silly while the jacket was opened.
    Well, I did the same thing with Shame but I also did it with the Joker.
    I love the Joker figure but it always bugged me that you had to keep the jacket closed because it was buttoned closed on the show.

These Velcro strips can be removed very easily with an X-ACTO knife, just cut the tiny threads.
    Just be VERY careful to not cut into the material or your fingers.

I also bought a pair of Western guns for Shame.
    Batdolls 019.jpg

Weak Ankles:

One of the biggest complaints that I've heard about with these figures is that it's hard to get them to stand due to the weak ankles.
    I'm not sure if FTC is using new bodies for the Mad Hatter and Shame because they don't have this problem BUT I have had this problem with Bruce Wayne, The Penguin, Egg Head,...

One figure that never gave me this problem was the Joker so, I wondered if it was due to the fact that the Joker figure wears socks.
    I noticed that FTC started selling socks for their figures and they're cheap enough so I figured that I'd give them a shot.

They work REALLY well, they give the figures ankle support.
    I took the Gray socks off of the Joker and replaced them with Green socks (Screen Accurate).
    I gave the short Gray socks to Bruce Wayne and he stands better than ever.
    I then gave Egg Head a pair of Yellow socks and he's currently standing without any problems.

The BIGGEST difference was with the Penguin.
    I had a hard time keeping the Penguin standing and I think it had to do with him being without socks but also because he's on a fat body and I have him holding an umbrella.
    The balance was just off.
    Well, I gave him socks and he now stands straight and tall.
    Batdolls 012.jpg

Batdolls 015.jpg

For anyone who needs one, I got the umbrella from Doc Mego.

Okay, that's about all that I have for now.
    Last edited by houseofdracula; Jan 13, '15, 1:40 PM.
    The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
    https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula
  • cockyhoskins
    Career Member
    • Jan 13, 2009

All great ideas! Thanks!

Comment

• Teemu
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 15, 2010

The FTC bodies are not new...they are same old light weight cheap body.The improvement is the stronger plastic loop hooks on the arms to prevent easier breakage.Conan was the first to show stronger loops

S TYPE bodies are the way to go with these and literally turns these into an 8" super posable Hot Toys figure

I have upgraded them ALL and given them accessories (like above) and accurate parts (like Mad hatter's white gloves)

Comment

• Bronxboykev
        Permanent Member
        • Mar 7, 2011

Great stuff!!! Thanks for the info...Ashamed that the community members are the one solving the issues and not FTC

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Excellent ideas!! Thanks for relaying that information! Very helpful.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

the one thing I am going to address is the two shorter villains, Penguin and Hatter actually are taller than Batman due to the Kiss shoes. I like the look of the shoes, so I'm going to try and shorten up both of them. And, Shame only carried one gun..."A fella only needs one gun if he knows how to use it right".-Shame
            Last edited by thunderbolt; Jan 13, '15, 4:53 PM.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

These are great ideas.

I'm wondering about replacing the Kiss shoes entirely and adding "real" vinyl spats.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by houseofdracula
                ...For anyone who needs one, I got the umbrella from Doc Mego.
                Perfect! I actually got some Laurel & Hardy figures (the umbrella's source) cheaper than ordering copies, but admittedly that was a fluke.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  These are great ideas.

I'm wondering about replacing the Kiss shoes entirely and adding "real" vinyl spats.
                  that would be a start, but Pengy needs to be shorter than Bats. the top of his hat should be about as tall as Batman.

You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• nobody
                    banjo!
                    • Jan 26, 2012

BBP has a Ventura Bros Villain with a smoking jacket just like Bruce Wayne.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

You're correct T-Bolt:

West was 6'2"; Meredith was 5'6" and wearing an (extremely likely) 8" top-hat---so they are about even in costume.

Would you shorten the fat-body thighs & calves somehow & resection? TT legs, adapted?

It occurs to me that a fat-body is shorter than a T2, & FTC copies of both smaller still. Maybe you could put West on a T2/TS and Buzz on a hybrid FTC?
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 13, '15, 7:49 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by megoknight
                        It would work well IMO, I have it for an Invisible Man custom & it's very nice.

I was thinking of putting gray trousers on my Wayne; I've already added an ascot.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Going to mess around with teen or kid legs on the fat body. I think I have parts around here to do that. Or just swap him out to a teen body with padding and adult arms.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by megoknight
                            Who from the Venture Bros has the jacket? I hope you aren't calling Dr. Orpheus a villain! He is a good guy! He's the head of the Order Of The Triad! He's saved the Venture family on several occasions. Villain, indeed! He is a "Protagonist", not an "Antagonist".
                            Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jan 14, '15, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• mikeoz
                              Mego Maker
                              • Mar 9, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              You're correct T-Bolt:

West was 6'2"; Meredith was 5'6" and wearing an (extremely likely) 8" top-hat---so they are about even in costume.

Would you shorten the fat-body thighs & calves somehow & resection? TT legs, adapted?

It occurs to me that a fat-body is shorter than a T2, & FTC copies of both smaller still. Maybe you could put West on a T2/TS and Buzz on a hybrid FTC?
                              I don't have a type 1 fat body in front of me right now, but I recall it being somewhat shorter than a type 2.
                              Looking for:
                              Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎