Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Castaway going to revisit the Phantom?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Is Castaway going to revisit the Phantom?

Any chance the Phantom will be find life again? He seem to do really well the last time he was in circulation. Would love to see some variants from the serial or motion picture too.
  • jacoblb
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2009

Agreed. I built my friend a purple Phantom and have enough parts to build 1-2 more I guess...unfortunately the one figure I gifted and all the one's I could make from scratch will suffer from not having the Phantom specific holster belt and guns.

Comment

• BATMAN89
      Mego obsessed!!!
      • Jul 20, 2010

The 8 inch Superstore is selling the guns, but not the holsters.
      Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
      My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• wise guy
        Career Member
        • Dec 29, 2014

I hope they do because my standard purple phantoms and grey phantom are the best remegos that i have ever bought

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

They lost all the molds and would have to have new ones made. I wouldn't hold my breath on it, even as much as I'm sure they'd like to.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Jetjungle75
            Career Member
            • Jan 11, 2013

For those that already are lucky enough to have some of these wonderful figures, especially the rarer variants, personally I don't think that they should make any more, as by not doing so, this will only add to their value.

For example, there is currently a standard purple figure up on eBay, with a " buy it now" price of $325!!!!

If that does sell at that price, what would one of the rarer variants command.

The fact that the original moulds have been lost, I think will only add to their value, as that confirms that those original figures will no longer be able to be reproduced.

Would love to know what a "Dailies" edition would sell for if one ever come up for auction on EBay!!!

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Never understood that argument. Don't make more, because my Phantom might someday be worth $300 on EBay!

And I say this as someone who owns several Phantoms and variants.

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

I have them all and would love to add more to the Phantom army...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Nice set-up Tom! I think I have all the additional costumes, but not enough gunbelts to make all the figure variations. I'd have to recheck. I do have Jason's awesome throne. Man, that thing is wild.

I'd love to see Castaway revisit the Phantom. Working on the packaging and ads for those was one of the nerd highlights of my life. Thanks to Dave and Jason for the opportunity!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• David Lee
                    The Fix-it-up Chappie
                    • Jun 10, 2002

I never like to say never ... I absolutely love the Phantom, and I have a great relationship with King Features. As for the value of the originals? While I think it's crazy and am flattered beyond belief, it really has no bearing on whether or not Cast-a-Way toys would revisit the Phantom. I have learned allot since the first set, and know just what I'd do different if they were to make another round. They intent would be to make them just different enough to keep from impacting the originals, while keeping that perfect balance of realism and charm I think we captured the first time.... Oh and I would absolutely make a run of just gunbelts and .45s for all those naked variations out there....

Dave

Comment

• wise guy
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 29, 2014

If you keep making them I will keep buying them . a new Black Terror would be good too.

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

I missed out the first time. I would defintely pick one up the next go 'round.

In fact, I still dream of having someone start a pulp or indie line that could also add The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Dick Tracy, Zorro, comic strip Flash Gordon, etc.

That would be so cool!

Comment

• Captain
                          Fighting the good fight!
                          • Jun 17, 2001

Phantom was a very cool figure.
                          " Lost the molds"?
                          I've been out of the loop for a bit. That doesn't sound good at all!
                          Last edited by Captain; Jan 11, '15, 12:15 AM.
                          "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

From everything I remember, the Phantom appeared to be a consistent seller for the company. I don't recall any of the figures lingering for any amount of time before they sold out. Fingers crossed those days return.

Comment

• D!n0-M@n
                              w/ Life-Like Hair & Beard
                              • Sep 17, 2008

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                              Never understood that argument. Don't make more, because my Phantom might someday be worth $300 on EBay!

And I say this as someone who owns several Phantoms and variants.
                              Agreed!
                              MY GODS ARE SMALL...... AND PLASTIC!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎