X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

A couple SMDM questions

I was a HUGE fan of the show (and toys) as a kid, but I haven't seen a single episode in more than 30 years. So I was surprised today when I came across the show on the Esquire network..it was a 2-parter from 1973.

So that had to be the first season? And it was a different Rudy than the one I was used to.. I guess this was the original actor, and at some point he was replaced by the one I was more familiar with. Also, there was no sound effects when Steve used his bionics. So when did that start? Second season?

I know I could just google all this, but it's more fun to ask you guys..
  • Boris71
    GeekBot' For Life
    • May 13, 2007

not sure about the sound effects but I think they had two or Rudy wells over the run of the show
    Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

1st Pilot movie = Martin Balsam as Rudy

2 & 3 movies = Alan Oppenheimer as Rudy

1 & 2 seasons = Alan Oppenheimer as Rudy

Seasons 3, 4, 5 = Martin Brooks as Rudy

Later reunion movies = Martin Brooks as Rudy

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

They used a heartbeat and a combination of slow and fast effects to depict his bionics in the initial films. During season one they first actually gave the iconic special effect to one of his villains...Mr. X in Day of the Robot. Now if you listen closely, there were times prior to this when some of the bionic effects were used for other things. They were used as computer effects at a missile silo during the movie "Wine, Women, and War". In the second season, when Steve had to face the Seven Million Dollar man, the effects were used when they battled. In the episodes following this, the effects were made a permanent fixture for Steve's bionics in the series.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

I always wished they could have perfected high speed running shots like the one in the opening where he runs along the fence.
          I'm still not sure how they did that. In the episode he comes up alongside the fence from an open field and it looks absolutely amazing, even today.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
            2 & 3 movies = Alan Oppenheimer as Rudy
            1 & 2 seasons = Alan Oppenheimer as Rudy
            Seasons 3, 4, 5 = Martin Brooks as Rudy
            Later reunion movies = Martin Brooks as Rudy
            Did some checking, and the episode I saw was the third and final of the original movies, "Solid Gold Kidnapping".

T his was originally titled The Billion Dollar Snatch. A great title with a unique connotation in certain niche markets, but not for our her...

Martin Brooks was always "my" Rudy. I guess I mostly watched those later seasons as a kid.

Esquire network will apparently be showing marathons of both SMDM and Hulk on certain days of the week. I'll try and tune in when I can.. I've streamed Hulk on Netflix, but like I said, haven't seen any SMDM in a very long time.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
              valar morghulis
              • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
              I always wished they could have perfected high speed running shots like the one in the opening where he runs along the fence.
              I'm still not sure how they did that. In the episode he comes up alongside the fence from an open field and it looks absolutely amazing, even today.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

You might wanna see if you get Cozi-TV as well. SMDM is on every Wednesday at 8pm.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Protestari
                  • Sep 1, 2017

If you can buy it on sale the Time Life SMDM Collection is great. I bought mine on sale for $99. Had not seen many episodes in over 35 years and many episodes were new to me.
                  Here is a link to my Facebook album featuring my SMDM Custom Boxes. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...8054693&type=3
                  Action Figure Nostalgic since the 1970's. Battlestar Galactica 1978 Classic Fan.

Six Million Dollar Man Fan and Co-Host of The Atari 5200 Podcast http://theatari5200superpodcast.libs...new-beginnings

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

you can buy the individual seasons pretty cheap now, the reunion movies, as far as I know are only available in the box set, but honestly they are pretty awful

Comment

• fallensaviour
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 28, 2006

Picked mine up at Walmart for $10 per season and bionic woman boxed set $20.
                      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• comicmike
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 22, 2009

Thanks for the heads up.I'm only missing SMDM s5; I can watch it online,but I'd prefer owning the final season to round out my collection.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

You're not really missing much without having Season 5

S5 was packed with a lot of 2 parters that should have been only 1 part --- Double long episodes like Sharks, Deadly Countdown, Dark Side of the Moon, The Lost Island and Date with Danger border on tedium.

The only saving grace double episode in S5 imo was Return of the Death probe --- and even that was basically a remake of the first story.

Also, most of the single episodes in S5 were pretty bad - save Bigfoot V

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                            Wished they had tone down the slow-mo...and featured this way more...
                            sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

Just started season 3 and plan on alternating between bionic woman and SMDM.
                              I know when I watched as a kid I missed several and don't think I've ever seen the crossovers in actual sequence.
                              As they originally aired.
                              Right now in my living room it's September 14,1975....lol
                              Last edited by fallensaviour; Sep 7, '17, 2:19 PM.
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎