Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Looking at the threads in the glove stitching, the vinyl looks painted or colored.

In the tunic itself, I'd look carefully at the inside folds and stitching… looking for evidence of color shift. It also looks like the snap threads don't match, with blue thread on the interior and black thread on the exterior.

Perhaps more evidence of a dye/coloring of the vinyl. What color is the thread on the back side of the female snap on the right?

Comment

• josephcardone
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 10, 2010

I find it amazing how many different types of material Mego used on the soldier apes over the years of production. There are variations within variations!!

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

^^ This is why I'm a hopeless Soldier Ape addict hoarder!

Comment

• josephcardone
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 10, 2010

Originally posted by Confessional
          ^^ This is why I'm a hopeless Soldier Ape addict hoarder!
          They are really a good things to collect since their are so many variations. I am really excited about a book! I am thinking this thread may help out

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Are the gloves different colors on the variants as well?

Comment

• Killer Iguana
              Museum Super Collector
              • Feb 6, 2013

What body type did each variation come on. Are there certain variations that were only found on T1 or T2 bodies?
              I see all these variations, and I'm curious as to which body they're on.

Comment

• scifiguy94
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 18, 2009

Curious, what color are the black gloves inside? the thread being black in the vinyl part makes me think they may have been altered. never seen anything but brown thread in blue gloves.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                  The name says it all!
                  • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by josephcardone
                  They are really a good things to collect since their are so many variations. I am really excited about a book! I am thinking this thread may help out
                  Yes, great pics.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                    The name says it all!
                    • Dec 3, 2007

^^ Looking at the threads in the glove stitching, the vinyl looks painted or colored.

In the tunic itself, I'd look carefully at the inside folds and stitching… looking for evidence of color shift. It also looks like the snap threads don't match, with blue thread on the interior and black thread on the exterior.

Perhaps more evidence of a dye/coloring of the vinyl. What color is the thread on the back side of the female snap on the right?
                    I agree. The black is way to shiny and intense. It looks like it has been colored or dyed somehow. The stitching looks like it was dyed along with the vinyl.

Comment

• josephcardone
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 10, 2010

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                      I agree. The black is way to shiny and intense. It looks like it has been colored or dyed somehow. The stitching looks like it was dyed along with the vinyl.
                      I think I see some of the black bleeding onto the inside of the fabric on the jacket (right side bottom). A really nice job overall - if it is altered or dyed.

He looks really nice in that dark black though!

Comment

• MEGOMAN
                        Defender of the Megoverse
                        • Dec 30, 2008

Soldier Ape variants/sub-variants:

1. Maroon/Brown: These are all slightly different in color from one another, with the one on the left being the more noticeable darker tone.

2. Silver: The middle and right are very close, while the one on the left is a darker tone.

3. Oddball/Oddities: Left = charcoal gray (this is a legit color and is also found in cuffed tunics) - Middle = end/edge of vinyl roll tunic (these are very rare!) - Right = common navy in color but with lighter grade vinyl that has a strange, pitted texture

4. Blue: These are all different tones of blue, ranging from bright blue on the left to dark blues on the right. The charcoal gray Soldier appears again in these photos in the middle for comparison/contrast.

5. Lizard Skin: All different from the speckled on the left, through three blues, and the two very dark blue/blacks on the right.

6. Cuffed: Many tones of blue-gray/navy blue/deep blues/charcoal gray, and the iconic burgundy-purple

** It's also worth noting that many of the vinyl colors used through the production runs can only truly been seen with quality light… sun light, studio or gallery lighting will allow you to see color tones that might not be obvious with ambient light. In addition there are many deep dark blue tunics that appear black, but under a dose of white light, the blue shades are visible. Lots of sellers, particularly on eBay, mistake these for the much rarer black tunics.
                        Your collection is awesome! Thanks for sharing it!

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2011

Nice all around....some neat MEGO POTA
                          Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                          :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                          I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• Mego Marauder
                            • Dec 9, 2014

This is what makes matching up loose tunics and gloves a nightmare. LMAO
                            But still cool to see how many variants there were.

Comment

• Confessional
                              Maker & Whatnot
                              • Aug 8, 2012

^^ When you've reached the stage in the game that I have with Apes, you pretty much covet any loose gloves you can. I've had one with tan lining that I've been seeking a match for many years… rarer than finding silver gloves by far. <Come to me tan lined glove, come!>

I recently added a few more variants out of the UK and beyond that yielded (yet another!) Lizard Skin and a new cuffed tunic. My first ever (confirmed!) factory mis-match with a charcoal grey torso with black lining and dark blue cuffs with bright blue lining. I reckon it could be one of those end-of-line factory clear-out jobs. Would be cool to know of anyone else who might have some oddball assemblies to compare notes.

I'll post some new pics in the near future.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

Are all Lizard Soldiers shiny vinyl, with gloves?
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎