X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torgospizza
    Theocrat of Pan Tang
    • Aug 19, 2010

Hot Toys Darth Vader

Established in 2000, Hot Toys is a high-end collectible brand dedicated to quality craftsmanship and licensed creation with authentic likeness of characters in movies, original series, and pop culture. From greatly-poseable figures to adorable collectibles, Hot Toys offers a wide selection of products dedicated to Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, DC Comics, Warner Bros. and more world-class studios. | 世界頂級珍藏人偶品牌Hot Toys 於2000年成立,擅長以極致還原工藝製作各式高端珍藏人偶產品。Hot Toys至今一直致力於開發多種高品質珍藏可動人偶,高像真度還原影視作品及流行文化中的角色。從高度還原1:6比例珍藏可動人偶到迷你珍藏人偶,Hot Toys 呈現多種迪士尼、Marvel、Star Wars、Pixar、DC Comics、Warner Bros.、等世界級版權產品。

If I missed a thread with the announcement, I apologize. It looks like this will be the definitive version of Vader to have.
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

He looks amazing. It's a piece of art.
    I must admit, one of the finest figures I have ever seen. And will never own...
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

interesting. does not look like his helmet is removable though

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Wow...they really do an amazing job.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

It is a well crafted figure, for sure. Probably the best Vader figure ever. And yet, for $300, all I can see are its faults. Don't wish to dwell on the negative, but I've worked hard to build a life-size ANH Darth Vader, and I would think for the price Hot Toys is asking, that they would get the details down pat.

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

Told myself I wouldn't
            Then saw it
            And must ....
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Hedji
              It is a well crafted figure, for sure. Probably the best Vader figure ever. And yet, for $300, all I can see are its faults. Don't wish to dwell on the negative, but I've worked hard to build a life-size ANH Darth Vader, and I would think for the price Hot Toys is asking, that they would get the details down pat.
              Where did Hot Toys go wrong? What mistakes are there?
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                Where did Hot Toys go wrong? What mistakes are there?
                The shape of the helmet is still a little off, and it doesn't have the two-tone black and gunmetal paint scheme from the looks of it. It also looks too clean overall, IMO. Episode IV Darth was a little battle damaged and not so polished looking.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Okay, since I was asked for more, I'll go into more detail. Keep in mind, I'm a Vader costumer, with a focus on ANH. It's my thing. So I'm not bashing just to be negative.

Dwayne is right; The helmet does have issues. It's too idealized and symmetrical, and small, riding too high off the shoulders. For me, the main thing is the proportions of the body are way off, and size of the chest box, and the way the armor, chest box, belt, and codpiece are spaced. They've made his shoulders too broad, and made the figure too tall. There is way too much space showing between those components, whereas in the film, they are almost touching.

See that huge gap between the belt and the chest box? No way. See all that crinkly leather suit showing on the torso? You shouldnt see that at all. Not in A New Hope. No amount of futzing with the doll will correct that the proportions are fundamentally off.

See? Close together. Almost no crinkly leather suit showing on the torso.

Here's a fan-modified Sideshow figure that gets the look better:

I'll steal an illustration from a member from the Sideshow message board:

Hot Toys successfully achieved this:

But Not this:
                  Last edited by Hedji; Jan 1, '15, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Interesting info, you obviously know your Vader!
                    You are right, they made him a little too perfect, too tall and streamlined.

I still wouldn't say "no" if I found him under my Christmas tree, though...

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

^The man knows his Vader. WOW that Sideshow mod looks waaaay better than the Hot Toys.

The components of his suit being close together gives him a thicker, bulkier look. Makes him more intimidating IMO. and, like in your photos, he needs to be a little banged up. Much more realistic.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

I'll let you in on my own collector psychology too. I fully admit, I'd love to own it. Anyone who can afford it should be proud to have it in their collection. Part of my nitpicking is a way to tell myself I don't need to spend $300 on a Darth Vader figure!

Comment

• acrovader
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 19, 2011

How is the figure 'too tall'? Too tall compared to what? Isn't the figure around 12"? Isn't that the normal format for these types of figures?
                          I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

The height is a tad tall, but it'd be more correct to say something is out of proportion.

Comment

• rche
                              channeling Bob Wills
                              • Mar 26, 2008

hot toys are cool, but I am super happy with my Sideshow version1 of Darth. It was one of the last SS figures I picked up before I realized I just could not afford that type of collecting with new figures.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎