Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of geeky swag did you get for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

What kind of geeky swag did you get for Christmas?

I put this in the general section, so it can cover both new and vintage stuff. I'm very lucky in the fact that I have a wife and kids, and a big chunk of my family that indulges my mania.

Cindy always comes through, and this year was no exception. She went nuts on TwoMorrows' 50% off sale, and I have a ton of books to read!

I got a vintage Remco 3 3/4" Mummy, the last of that line I needed. I've wanted a set of these since I was a kid, so a 35 year old mission completed.

She righted another wrong with a surprise. I did an art job for a party which shall remain nameless. For my payment I asked for a set of the first series of Figures 1966 Batman figures. My artwork was delivered on time, and I was assured I'd get the figures as soon as they came in. Despite my constant emailing, and assurance they were going in the mail "this weekend", I never got them. The 2nd series came in from Entertainment Earth, and sat there as I waited for this guy to do the right thing. I finally just wrote the guy off, and said I'd buy a set after Christmas.

Well, now I don't have to, because Cindy gave me Batman and the Joker at our house Christmas Eve morning. She apologized for not getting Robin and the Riddler, but these figures had stretched our budget cap already, and we try not to go over too far on each other, so we can splurge on the kids and others.

Later that night, I'm opening presents from my dad, at my childhood house, and find...Robin and the Riddler! My crafty wife had colluded with my father to make sure I got the whole set. It was nice to get new "Megos" at my old house, in the same living room I got my first Mego Batman figures back in 76 or so!

I also got some Batman pajama pants, some Superman and Batman mugs, and lots of other great stuff. I know Christmas is definitely NOT about receiving. In fact, over the years I've begun to care less and less about what I'LL get, and more and more about just seeing the looks on peoples' faces when they open my gifts to them. But, it is nice to know that your family knows you so well, and puts some thought into what they get you.

Well, enough about me...what geeky stuff did you get?

Chris
    sigpic
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

The fam hooked me up this year The wife got me the Merle Zombie figure. Not because I'm a big The Walking Dead fan (that's her actually) but because I simply love Michael Rooker. Tombstone, Mallrats, Guardians of the Galaxy. Just love the guy. She also got me some neat Superman stuff including a "Grow Toy", Pen and Stylus and a stainless steel necklace. She and my daughter also grabbed me the 31" Storm Trooper to go with the Vader they got me last year and some cool Star Wars t-shirts.

My inlaws added to the pile with the 18 inch Darth MAul from Walgreens, a couple geeky t-shirts and a set of Star Wars scoundrels and Bounty Hunter coffee mugs.

My absolute favorite though came from Kaitlynn who just turned 5. She describes this one as a painting of "the Lizard from Spider man dressed up and pretending to be Superman."

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I love that Jim. that's a true treasure. you should frame it and hang it in your man cave or office

Comment

• jimsmegos
        Mego Dork
        • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        I love that Jim. that's a true treasure. you should frame it and hang it in your man cave or office
        That's most certainly on the agenda

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

My wife and daughter are determined to keep me swimming in figures for as long as I so desire. Ahem, it helps I point the way too... . That being said I did get a few surprises.

My daughter got me the new FTC Conan. Beyond awesome. An absolute duplicate of the Mego original. The wife gave me series two of the fist fighters and those turned out to be very cool. Jesus do I need to get hooked on another line by FTC? Lordy...

I also got some Neca product. Very cool ones too. Here's Urko and the infantry two pack. Let me tell you... These are excellent figures. The sculpts and materials used are top notch. Even Urko's battle helmet is pliable around the flaps so you can lift them up and see the detail on his head along the sides. Great paint apps on all of them. Just nice, nice figures.

I also got some talking GI Joes. These were club exclusives. I believe the astronaut was the 2003 exclusive and the talking commander was 2012. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Both EXCEPTIONAL figures made in perfect likeness to the originals. I'm also working on a restore to my original AT talking astronaut, so these are great companion pieces.

But my story of stories has yet to be unfolded here. I'm waiting on a few pics to fully tell it. Of course it has to do with my grandson Lil D. And ALL OF YOU are going to be blown away with what this little boy now does with his figures. It's golden. And to think he did this on his own is quite frankly miraculous. When I get those I will post them along with my story. But this is what the 'original kid' in the family got for Christmas. I'm blessed.

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

I got a nice set of Captain America slippers and several gift cards including one to a local movie theater.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

A book on Planet of the Apes, a cornelius ornament and a MST3K DVD set, otherwise it's mostly "grown up" stuff.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Books:
                Batman A Visual History
                Ad Boy
                WWE 50
                Universal Monsters

Ornaments:
                The Fonz
                Simon
                Batman '66
                Air Hockey

DVDs:
                Batman '66
                Mod Squad S1, Part 2
                Guardians of the Galaxy
                Droopy
                Plastic Man
                Popeye 1938-40
                Skyfall
                Blacklist S1
                Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

I already mentioned the DVDs I picked up during Black Friday weekend. I'm in the middle of X-Men:Days of Future Past right now. Just got done with the Pentagon scene.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

DC Direct New 52 action figures of Aquaman & Black Manta, from my partner
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

We didn't go big this year on each other, my wife got me a STAR Laboratories tshirt just like the ones on The Flash tv show and some Superman pajamas. I have a few gift cards to go buy toys with.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

I got 10 Personality Comics of the original Star Trek crew (William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, George Takei, Grace Lee Whitney, Mark Leonard, Ricardo Montalban, James Doohan, and the Original Crew Annual #1) from my supervisor at work, a Star Wars 5 3-D puzzle set, a Michael Jackson History tour t-shirt from the Las Vegas store. And I just got a sign made by a friend of mine w/ a line from an 70s Rick Springfield song, "The Ballad Of Annie Goodbody". I'm getting more stuff when I go to Seattle to visit my family in February, so I'll let you know then.
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Splitty
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 25, 2012

I don't get presents anymore, so I got nuttin'. NOTHING!!

...but then I am buying myself stuff all year around, so it doesn't really matter.

I did get to spend some nice cozy time with the folks, and I find we appreciate the time more without the bustle of gift exchange, so it's all good. A few passing of people close to me the past few years have shown me that time with the aging parents is a gift in itself. Oop, hope I didn't spoil the thread.
                          I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

A plush Grumpy Cat, 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook and a Retro Conan.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I don't get presents anymore, so I got nuttin'. NOTHING!!

...but then I am buying myself stuff all year around, so it doesn't really matter.

I did get to spend some nice cozy time with the folks, and I find we appreciate the time more without the bustle of gift exchange, so it's all good. A few passing of people close to me the past few years have shown me that time with the aging parents is a gift in itself. Oop, hope I didn't spoil the thread.
                              Not at all. I have found the same thing to be true. So those child-like glimmers of geekdom sneaking in are that much sweeter, and more pleasant, when you aren't really worried about what you get.

Sounds like you guys did alright!

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎