Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the first Happy Meal toy you remember?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

What's the first Happy Meal toy you remember?

I was thinking the other day of the first time I saw Happy Meal toys from McDonalds. My parents rarely ever took me there, so I was insanely jealous and desperate to have them. The ones I first remember were a set of 4 rubber eraser type figures of space aliens. I've been looking for pictures of them online, but no luck.

I wish there was a Mego Museum for everything.

Anyone know the alien erasers I'm talking about and do you remember when Happy Meals first came along?
    This profile is no longer active.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Happy meals arrived in Canada while I was in fourth grade, I begged my parents for one and the first toy I remember is school supplies featuring the McDonald land characters.

I absolutely went nuts for the Star Trek: The Motion Picture Happy Meals and somehow conned my way to go at least three times during that promotion. I still plan on rebuying everything attached to that, happy memories.

Oddly, I won't eat at McDonalds now....
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hotfoot
      Dazed and Confused
      • Dec 30, 2007

They just turned 25 recently! Don't really remember what first got me going but mainly now the sets I try to complete are comic or sci-fi related. Check out this site for more info!

http://www.mcdclub.com/
      Too many toys. Not enough space!

Comment

• Captain_Slinky
        • Jan 1, 2008

Our McDonalds was kinda... different... from the other McDonalds of the late 70's/early 80's, catering mostly to an adult tourist market. For the longest time all we got in our Happy Meals was a stupid plastic dinosaur in a regular "A" sized bag. Made me ANGRY to see all the cool commercials on Saturday morning telling me to hurry in and get me (insert pop-culture toy reference here) while supplies lasted only to come away with no box, no special games, and just a crappy piece of plastic that you could buy in bags of 100 for a buck.

But then it all changed! We suddenly got REAL Happy Meals! The first Happy Meal i remember getting was the Vaccu-formed plastic "Flying Saucer" Happy Meal boxes that you got to decorate with stickers. My Mom became OBSESSED and we ended up getting a Happy Meal almost every other day till you couldn't see my bedroom ceiling for all the flying saucers hanging from fishing line

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

I really don't remember my mom or dad purchasing me happy meals. I remember that I loved Big Macs...and that's all I would order. I think I purchased my first happy meal for my kid in 2000 but I don't remember what toy that came with.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

I use to love the fraggle rock cars,the Chicken McNuggets you could dress up and the the little cars with the McDonalds characters you could pull back and they would take off
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

I remember that the McDonald's near us at when Happy Meals were still a very new concept, would only carry them periodically. (this was before Star Trek TMP) The first one they offered was a Back To School one w/ rulers, or erasers, or a McD's pencil or something like that. In the only Happy Meal I ever had, I got a ruler.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

We didn't get a McD's in town until I was almost 10. I don't recall any Happy Meal toys I had as a kid. I recall them being aimed at really young kids, although maybe that was just my perception. Some of the toys they have now are better than whats in toy stores!

Oddly, I won't eat at McDonalds now....
                I still eat there, but I can't eat Big Macs and Quarter Pounders anymore. Mostly salads now, with an ocassional cheeseburger or chicken nuggets.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• hobub
                  Ghost of a Dead Indian
                  • Jun 18, 2001

I don't know but I remember Burger Chef Fun Meals and Winky's Milkshakes.

The earliest premium I remember and still have is a Billy Bones Silver Dollar from Long John Silver's. It is from the early to mid 70's and I've never seen it in a book but when they first opened, I remember they had them in a bubble gum type machine.

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

man I still buy happymeals for myself just the other day I got the Strawberry shortcake for my wife

Comment

• starsky
                      veteran member
                      • Aug 26, 2007

i liked the chicken mcnuggets toys that came as different characters. i still have my fireman mcnugget.

Comment

• Grendel
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Apr 21, 2006

Originally posted by MegoScott
                        I was thinking the other day of the first time I saw Happy Meal toys from McDonalds. My parents rarely ever took me there, so I was insanely jealous and desperate to have them. The ones I first remember were a set of 4 rubber eraser type figures of space aliens. I've been looking for pictures of them online, but no luck.

I wish there was a Mego Museum for everything.

Anyone know the alien erasers I'm talking about and do you remember when Happy Meals first came along?
                        Here you go --

Pic taken from the following: http://lightyearstoyesteryear.blogsp...appy-meal.html

Mine are in storage. I say that about my toys far too often...

In the Happy Meal they were called Space Raiders. They were made by Diener Industries - you can usually find them on eBay pretty cheaply by searching Diener. Here's a lot of 20 for $10 that went unsold: http://cgi.ebay.com/McDONALDS-DIENER...QQcmdZViewItem

Finally, here's a terrific link with someone's childhood pics AND his own drawings of them!!!

http://kevin-mayle.livejournal.com/70053.html

Comment

• toys2cool
                          Ultimate Mego Warrior
                          • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by starsky
                          i liked the chicken mcnuggets toys that came as different characters. i still have my fireman mcnugget.
                          lol! yeah those are the ones I was talking about,I remember the rocker and the Cowboy

Comment

• RG
                            Removed.
                            • Oct 1, 2004

My First Happy Meal was one of the Star Trek ones but all I remember are 3-D glasses and Spock

Originally posted by Captain_Slinky
                            The first Happy Meal i remember getting was the Vaccu-formed plastic "Flying Saucer" Happy Meal boxes that you got to decorate with stickers.
                            Wow that brings back memories I had the green saucer

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

HAW!

I remember them eraser guys; but I don't remember them in any Happy Meals. THere were a lot more of 'em; at least two more spaceships and some aliens that looked like the Keepers of the Purple Twilight from the Outer Limits; and the thing from "I Married a Monster From Outer Space." And a weird winged gillman. (They used to fight my space Lego guys...)

The first Happy Meal prize I remember was those plastic saucers. We stockpiled a zillion of 'em, and used them with many different 3.5" figures. UNtil they broke. The saucers were pretty fragile.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎