Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCEtoys
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 1, 2007

hi guys, this line was my personal pet project so i think i can answer some questions:

1. the mummy head is an exact recast of ahi, which we think out of all the attempts to do mego monsters was the only think that was actually done right (even though the paint sucked)

2. our understanding is that 2 will be released each october: frank and wolfman in 2010, drac and mummy in 2011

3. now that everyone knows that we're working on this property, i can say that the creature is indeed on our radar and didn't want to do it until we could take the time to get the engineering right. we did these first four relatively quickly, and some parts are not quite as i envisioned them, but still the best damn mego monsters to date. but the creature is a toughie.

in addition, these will be part of a "100 Years of Monster Movies" promotion we're doing through our FearWerx brand. Fans of monster toys will want to attend the Monsterpalooza convention in Burbank in April, where we're putting together a "Monster Toy Museum" on site.

For more info on the promotion, bookmark the web hub (FEARWERX presents 100 Years of Monster Movies -- under construction since we were TOO DAMN BUSY ON TOY FAIR to finish it), or join the facebook page (Incompatible Browser | Facebook).

cheers,

j

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
      hi guys, this line was my personal pet project so i think i can answer some questions:

now that everyone knows that we're working on this property, i can say that the creature is indeed on our radar and didn't want to do it until we could take the time to get the engineering right. but the creature is a toughie.

j

YES!! The Creature is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE monsters!!! I like that you're not rushing him...do him proud Boys!!
      sigpic

Comment

• SciFiGuyLA
        Museum Patron
        • Feb 11, 2009

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
        1. the mummy head is an exact recast of ahi, which we think out of all the attempts to do mego monsters was the only think that was actually done right (even though the paint sucked)
        Ah ha! So it is a recast of the AHI Mummy head. That's fine, as long as everybody is aware that the AHI Mummy head is a recast of the Aurora Mummy model kit head. I just don't want to see you guys get in trouble with Revell (the current owners of the Aurora monster kit molds).

I'm really surprised at how blatantly AHI ripped off Aurora's Mummy. Even the illustration on the back of the AHI card is a poor reproduction of the Aurora box art.

Here's the EMCE prototype head next to the Aurora Mummy head (painted by me! ).

The detail is not as crisp, some detail has been altered (look at the earlobe), and some work has been done to the neck to create the neck plug, but it's looking pretty close to me. Again, I'm not trying to take a shot at EMCE, or imply any shenanigans on their part. I'm simply shocked that AHI did so little to hide their source material.

Otherwise, I just want the fine folks at EMCE and Diamond to know how happy I am that these figures are being produced! I've been wishing for Mego-style Universal Monsters for years. I've always felt like the Mego Mad Monsters, while charming in their own way, were a bit too cartoony and goofy looking for my taste. Oh, and I'm glad to hear that the Creature is on the radar for a future assortment. He's my second favorite Universal monster, right behind Frankie.

Comment

• EMCEtoys
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 1, 2007

Originally posted by SciFiGuyLA
          That's fine, as long as everybody is aware that the AHI Mummy head is a recast of the Aurora Mummy model kit head. I just don't want to see you guys get in trouble with Revell (the current owners of the Aurora monster kit molds).
          Technically, Universal property is Universal property, so any current owner of a sculpt is merely the custodian of the licensor. Universal could easily have just handed us the Aurora head and said, "Just work with this" and whoever owns the Aurora molds would have no say. I created the Starfleet Academy logo millions of years ago, and Paramount has handed it out to countless licensees who have made truckloads of money on it without my seeing a dime. Part of the job.

That said, that's not what happened, and my assessment of previous Mego-izations of the monsters led me to say that the AHI sculpt was the only thing that would survive from that period. It's a dead-on Kharis.

It does look softer than the Aurora, but I'm sure that's from generational recasts; when we look at a sculpt we usually pick four or five points to determine whether or not it's been recast, and softness or not, this sure looks like one (the slight pushing in at the bridge of the nose, the connection point of two forehead wrinkle lines above the right eye, the exact duplication of the crippled eyelid, etc, etc).

I'm kind of embarrassed that, as a self-professed "expert" on this line that I didn't see it. So, pending a review of any potential legal ramifications, we're gonna see if we have to resculpt or alter it.

Thanx for pointing this out, and especially before the damn things went to production. I would have expected no less attention to detail from this group.

J

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
            Put my vote in for Hammer versions of the Universal monsters too. Love to see a Lee Dracula, Mummy & Frankenstein as well as Peter Cushing as Van Helsing. They had some hot lady Vampires, too.

Rich
            Ingrid Pitt
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• EatTheseCrackers
              • Mar 29, 2008

So if I understand correctly, it will take me two years at least to collect four Universal Monster figures? And why was that release model chosen?

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Put my vote in for Hammer versions of the Universal monsters too. Love to see a Lee Dracula, Mummy & Frankenstein as well as Peter Cushing as Van Helsing. They had some hot lady Vampires, too.

Rich
                Yeah!! Christopher Lee Baby!!!!
                sigpic

Comment

• spamn
                  Minty and All-Original!
                  • Mar 28, 2002

Rich
                  A Peter Cushing Mego head? Now we're Tarkin!

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                    WANTED for card bending
                    • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by spamn
                    A Peter Cushing Mego head? Now we're Tarkin!
                    AHHH those powerful puns!

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Ya know what one of the COOLEST things about this is? I get to own a Wolfman for around $20 to $25!
                      Last edited by The Bat; Feb 22, '10, 5:44 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Only on full moons, the rest of the time he's Larry Talbot.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by EatTheseCrackers
                          So if I understand correctly, it will take me two years at least to collect four Universal Monster figures? And why was that release model chosen?
                          No, just one year. First 2 this October, next 2 a year later
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Personally I'm glad that there's a break in there on the waves. There is so much Mego-ish product coming out that the different companies need to watch out for oversaturation of the market.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

The Frankenstein sculpt looks to be inspired by the Glenn Strange portrayal based on the deep ridges around the jaw line and the face. Will there be some shading effect around the eyelids to bring out the overall look(like they did with AHI Frankenstein)?

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                                Invincible Ironing Man
                                • Feb 28, 2008

I'm glad they're taking their time.
                                Otherwise, I'd never keep up with all that EMCE will be putting on shelves.
                                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎