X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Man what a tragedy. The building is such a cornerstone of western culture and it held so many irreplaceable art treasures, and now it looks like it will all be lost.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

It’s shocking to see this happening.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I can't understand why they didn't use firefighting airplanes or helicopters ?

That was like the first thing I thought of early on.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
        I can't understand why they didn't use firefighting airplanes or helicopters ?
        It would have made it worse. Water bombing would have collapsed the structure.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

Horrific and sad for France. One of the most amazing places I've been. Hopefully the masonry can withstand.
          Last edited by Confessional; Apr 15, '19, 3:26 PM. Reason: … gahhh!

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Last news update I heard is that they were able to save the main structure and two towers. The fire fighters there are heroes and experts at what they do.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I'm profoundly sad as I see this happening. I can't process all my feelings just now, it's terrible.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

it's just so heartbreaking. I am not a religious person, but all that art and history that has been lost is irreplaceable. I hope there was no one inside that inferno. I imagine details will start to come out in the next couple days

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Last news update I heard is that they were able to save the main structure and two towers. The fire fighters there are heroes and experts at what they do.
                  Yes. While earlier they thought all would be lost, they are now saying the main structure might be saved.

It looked like they we just trying to contain it at 4 (EST)

Glad there is hope. My younger daughter hasn't been there yet.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

I still think they should have dropped water on it early from the sky

Maybe collapsing the roof was a chance that should have been taken considering the alternative was fighting it from the street and eventually letting it burn.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                      I still think they should have dropped water on it early from the sky
                      That just doesn't work. It's not like a forest fire. It would have been like a bomb going off and would have leveled the structure. The fire fighters knew what they were doing.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

From Sécurité Civile Fr.

"Hundreds of firemen of the Paris Fire Brigade are doing everything they can to bring the terrible #NotreDame fire under control. All means are being used, except for water-bombing aircrafts which, if used, could lead to the collapse of the entire structure of the cathedral."

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Freeze a lake, fly it over and drop it from a super-huge height.

Will come down like gentle rain

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

So glad the main structure will be saved. It’s an amazing and historic building for sure.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

But sadly, the Spire is gone...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢