X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToyTalk
    Career Member
    • Mar 25, 2020

Older SuperHero TV Show?

I remember when I was a small kid (late 70's or early 80's), my brothers and I gathering around the TV to watch a show about a superhero. He had a van and in the back was an Iron Man style supersuit. He would climb in and lay down. It was like a sandwich press and when it opened he had his suit on. It didn't run a full season if I remember correctly but I'm tired of digging and I can't remember the name of the show. Anyone else remember it?
    Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Exo-Man, 1977 TVM with David Ackroyd. I liked it, too.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ToyTalk
      Career Member
      • Mar 25, 2020

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Exo-Man, 1977 TVM with David Ackroyd. I liked it, too.
      Thank God!! I was pulling my last 2 hairs out trying to remember that show.

Comment

• powersthatbe
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 27, 2010

and I remember this too. I also remember seeing a Super Joe toy or power suit at the time and thinking it was based on this show.

Comment

• ToyTalk
          Career Member
          • Mar 25, 2020

Originally posted by powersthatbe
          and I remember this too. I also remember seeing a Super Joe toy or power suit at the time and thinking it was based on this show.
          That would be beyond awesome!! That's what makes a great toy, nostalgia

Comment

• ToyTalk
            Career Member
            • Mar 25, 2020

Been watching it on youtube. I had no idea that Col Potter was in it.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

wasn't there another version in the late eighties or early nineties. Mantis? I can't recall exactly but I think the hero was paralyzed or something and wore an exo suit to walk and fight crime. didn't last long either. wasn't all that good from what I remember

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^M.A.N.T.I.S. starred Carl Lumbly who would go on to voice the Martian Manhunter on the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series.

I've never seen Exo-Man, but clips of it were used by some clever folks to make a 70s/80s Avengers trailer a few years back.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  ^M.A.N.T.I.S. starred Carl Lumbly who would go on to voice the Martian Manhunter on the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series.

I've never seen Exo-Man, but clips of it were used by some clever folks to make a 70s/80s Avengers trailer a few years back.

Chris
                  Holy cow - I have misremembered MANTIS for years. I would have sworn that Keith David was the lead.

Comment

• Random Axe
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Apr 16, 2008

This likely won't count but Nightman based on Malibu Comics was pretty cool and awful at the same time. It may have only had one season in the mid 90s. I should try to track that down sometime.
                    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

I have all those movies on dvd and tons more...Mantis was good nd many during the quartin I will go back and rewatch it.

Exo-Man was a huge ripoff of IronMan, I remember se ing it On Saturday

Night-man was a good show, and even had a c ossover with Manimal and had a guest appearance of Spider-Man.
                      Last edited by monitor_ep; Apr 24, '20, 3:25 PM.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• powersthatbe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 27, 2010

my two favorite so bad it's good superhero type tv shows from the 80s? Automan and Manimal

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Ach, I was obsessed with Manimal and The Phoenix first-run.
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 24, '20, 6:13 PM.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

I loved those shows as well, but haven't seen any of them since they originally aired. how does Manimal, Automan or The Phoenix hold up? not well I'd imagine

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I have Manimal on dvd, it's so-so and the effects, dated. I can watch a lot of stuff that's mediocre and enjoy it for nostalgia's sake. Personally I think BSG and Buck Rogers are meh, but the 10-year-old me still watches them. I love Dark Shadows and lord knows it can be creaky.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎