X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

They've got a BONE to pick with you!

Latest addition to my collection...a pair of Skeleton Warriors! I love these guys.
    The sculpt and paint detail is off the charts, and the chrome plated eyes are extra creepy.

• Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Hahah! Cool pic! I am totally unfamiliar with these guys.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, these were fun , I recall them at KB Toys.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

The skull shoulder pad armor is a plus.

They do look pretty good.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Wave 2 was suppose to be great. Shame we never got it.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by jwyblejr
            Wave 2 was suppose to be great. Shame we never got it.
            I have a full page shot of wave two...the sculpts were fantastic, BUT...due to some parental concerns over the wave 1 figures being too grisly the bones were painted in bizarre colors like blue, orange and green, which seriously diminished their appearance.

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

I've seen these quite often in the wild (last time 2 carded ones at a Half Price Books), and quite like them, (but haven't actually bought any yet). However, form the thread title my first thought was that it was about Jeff Smith's Bone action figures...

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Keep in mind when collecting these there are three versions of the figures. The first edition numbered ones have the most paint details. The second edition un-numbered ones have less paint detail. Then lastly there is the Replay reissues that were exclusive to Kaybee. They have bare minimal paint detail. The Skeleton Legion Skullcycle and Skeleton Legion Warhorse were not reissued and are slightly harder to get than the figures.

Nice figures and way ahead of their time. Sadly the line was pretty much dead on arrival because the villains were issued first and the heroes weren't available for months later. Princess Talyn was never released along with the amazing bone Dragon and Skull Playset.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Keep in mind when collecting these there are three versions of the figures. The first edition numbered ones have the most paint details. The second edition un-numbered ones have less paint detail. Then lastly there is the Replay reissues that were exclusive to Kaybee. They have bare minimal paint detail.
                  ^ Yes! There are even more variations of the numbered figures...Baron Dark comes with either red or purple bracers, and the feathers(?) on his shoulder pads can be either purple or gold. The skull on his waist can have any combination of painted or unpainted eyes and mouth, and his headdress can come with an amber, red, purple, blue, or teal gemstone. I've seen every possible combination.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    .Baron Dark comes with either red or purple bracers, and the feathers(?) on his shoulder pads can be either purple or gold. The skull on his waist can have any combination of painted or unpainted eyes and mouth, and his headdress can come with an amber, red, purple, blue, or teal gemstone. I've seen every possible combination.
                    Yeah, all the variations add to the fun of collecting them. My Baron Dark is the red bracers with purple trim on the shoulder pads one. The skull around his waist is also totally painted. Really cool looking high quality figures that never took off. On the upside they are really affordable and pretty easy to hunt down considering they are around 25 years old now.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      Yeah, all the variations add to the fun of collecting them. My Baron Dark is the red bracers with purple trim on the shoulder pads one. The skull around his waist is also totally painted. Really cool looking high quality figures that never took off. On the upside they are really affordable and pretty easy to hunt down considering they are around 25 years old now.
                      Considering Playmates is still going strong, I keep hoping they'll revisit the line someday. Would really like to get my hands on series two and that dragon!

I've also wondered why they did three different runs of series one...that seems kind of odd for a line that supposedly didn't take off. Obviously they sold all the numbered figures then went back and released them two more times after that. Sounds like a success to me.
                      Last edited by enyawd72; Jan 2, '19, 6:27 AM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
                        I've also wondered why they did three different runs of series one...that seems kind of odd for a line that supposedly didn't take off.
                        I believe the un-numbered ones went to Big Lots. The Kaybee exclusive Replay versions came out around 2002 with other reissued Playmates lines like Earthworm Jim.

Comment

• LordMudd
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 22, 2011

Just another Bone-headed idea.

CCC.

Comment

• tay666
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 27, 2008

I just sold off a bunch of carded figures from this line last year. We were moving and I was getting rid of stuff I didn't want to move.
                            I remember grabbing them cheap at Kmart back in the day. Never knew about the TV series. I always thought they were a riff on the bad guys from Army of Darkness which came out shortly before.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎