Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which do you prefer the Prequals or the Disney trilogy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Which do you prefer the Prequals or the Disney trilogy?

I might be in the minority but I like the Prequals much more. Lucas told a political thriller while making the film's financially viable and I also cared more about the characters since we had Yoda, Obi-wan, and Anakin.
    One thing the Disney trilogy did do better was more simplistic and lived in designs closer to the originals where as the prequals relied too heavily on computer graphics.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Prequels. I think Revenge of the Sith is every bit as good as Empire.

I hate what the Disney films did with the OT characters, and the three films do not form a cohesive whole.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

They both have their plusses and minuses. I think the prequel trilogy hurt Anakin/Vader. I think Last Jedi hurt Luke. Though I do think Rise fixed a lot of the missteps of LJ.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I agree with Werewolf, they both have their pros and cons. the prequels were too flashy and the dialog too wooden. Ewen Mcgregor was a shining point through them all. the sequels lacked a trilogy plot. I have said it before, but they had no plan in place other than getting a movie out as fast as possible, that was a huge mistake and the backlash against the trilogy pretty much sums it up. for what it's worth I like the trilogy, but it could have been, and should have been soooo much better

Comment

• Klosterheim
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 23, 2013

Prequels.

There is still a lot more actual fun in them than the sequels!

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

Yep... agree on the pros and cons... the overkill of CGI and lack of practical effects takes something away from the prequels for me.. but the story holds.

The lack of a cohesive story takes away from the ST for me. And although I loved the introduction of the new characters, I never felt the stakes by the end.

Biggest sin was not getting the OT characters together. That was such a no-brainer that it boggles the mind.

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Can't sit thru the prequels. Never could. It's like watching local politics.

The Disney trilogy was fun and had the original actors. Plus I experienced them with my kids who enjoyed them.

So Disney hands down for me.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I don't love either but I like the Prequels better.

With all their faults they don't seem as corporate board of directors certified as the Sequels

The Prequels feel like Lucas, perhaps bonkers with delusions of Godhood but still Lucas

The Sequels feel like they were written in a board room by many people throwing out ideas

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Neither.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I think right now I like the Sequels just a bit better. They hit some fantastic emotional beats. Say what you want about story cohesiveness and lack of plan, and I don't disagree with that.

But:

They hit me in the feels with gusto. I cried tears of joy and tears of sadness, but I think more joy, with all three Sequels.
                    I NEVER thought we'd even get Episodes VII-IX. I dreamed of this as a kid.
                    They DID get the band back together. Even if not all on screen at once.
                    The new cast was INSTANTLY likable and had fantastic chemistry. None of their relationships felt forced or rushed.
                    By their nature, the Sequels had an unknown storyline, as opposed to a predetermined endpoint of the Prequels.

I think like anything, people are actually getting (*gasp*) nostalgic for the Prequels.

This all is coming from someone who ADORES the Prequels and George Lucas. And I happen to think the Phantom Menace is the Best of the Prequels. It's breathtaking in its scope and creativity.

Who am I kidding? I love ALL Star Wars.

Have you guys been watching the final season of The Clone Wars on Disney+? Soooo good. With every season the animation, pacing, sound editing... all gets more polished and next level.

Ask me again in a year, and I might side with the Prequels, but right now, I am riding the crest of a wave of entertainment from the Sequels.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

The Disney Trilogy. There are no jaw-droppingly bad performances in the Disney films. Good actors give really bad performances in the prequels. I don't hate them, but the dialog and delivery is often embarrassingly bad, especially when so much money is being thrown at the screen otherwise.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

The thing I am saddest about is that we don't get X, XI, and XII with the new Big Three.

The torch should be passed, and I like moving forward in the timeline more than backward.

Rey, Finn, and Poe are very lovable. They should have their own adventures filled with fun and swashbuckle, without being hampered by audience expectation for the treatment of Legacy Characters. I want more.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Did I mention I really like Star Wars?

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

Good idea for a thread. I'm surprised to see the love, or at least tolerance, for the Prequels. I find them very flat and dull, largely unwatchable. I get more frustrated with the Disney films, but I still find them fun to watch and far more visually interesting. They're move better, and the actors are better, and they don't look so airless.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

I think Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith would be way more palatable if the Annikan Skywalker parts were dubbed over by a better actor … IMO, Christenson is probably the worst actor I've ever seen in a major movie …

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎