X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Godzilla
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 3, 2002

Toys That Made Us Season 3

My family spent this week watching the new series and everyone (kids and adults) really liked it. I think the TMNT episode was a highlight especially the how fractured the relationship between Eastman and Laird became and how it really bothered both of them. I'll be honest and say that kind of got to me. They clearly had a wonderful friendship that was damaged over the years.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I didn't watch the whole season but I'll admit despite my lack of interest in all things Turtles, that episode was good television by focusing in on that friendship. I didn't mind the MLP one either and that's saying something. Power Rangers one had some layers in there I wasn't expecting, like the Stan Lee connection, so i watched most of it. I didn't bother with the Wrestling one, I didn't understand why it was chosen over something evergreen like Hot Wheels.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

I don't care for wrestling or the toys, but I found that episode interesting. I actually like the episodes outside my wheelhouse better. I think they should do a Cabbage Patch Kids episode, as I know nothing about them, but I'm guessing it was crazy back in the day.
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by pmwasson
        I think they should do a Cabbage Patch Kids episode, as I know nothing about them, but I'm guessing it was crazy back in the day.
        Yeah, I think there is probably a really cool story in there, I've heard dribs and drabs of it from former Mego people.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I keep forgetting to watch this. I do enjoy the series, despite me being on record as disliking them picking at least one intervewee to look like a dunderhead in each episode.

Cabbage Patch Kids would be a very interesting episode. Pixel Dan did a Christmas video on the 1983 craze, and interviewed his mother, who was a retail manager and witnessed the store riots first hand.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• powersthatbe
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 27, 2010

I finally caught some episodes of this and enjoyed them, the next one I plan to watch is the transformers episode.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              I keep forgetting to watch this. I do enjoy the series, despite me being on record as disliking them picking at least one intervewee to look like a dunderhead in each episode.
              I winced in this current season when they actually bashed Roger Sweet again.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

I enjoyed the season, although I did fast forward through some of the Power Rangers one. anyone watch the movies that made us? I started but the first one was Dirty Dancing and I always hated that movie. Everyone else loved it but I thought it was a snoozefest

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, as informative and entertaining as the episodes are, the overly irreverent tone does sometimes grate a little.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I know we've discussed it before, but between that poor Lego guy and of course Marty Abrams, they really can be disrespectful to their interviewees.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I know we've discussed it before, but between that poor Lego guy and of course Marty Abrams, they really can be disrespectful to their interviewees.
                      There's a fine line between having fun and just outright mocking something and this show vacillates between those two points. I think the show definitely should have a sense of humour but I don't always like the targets it chooses. They've made several interviewees into online jokes now.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

The wrestling one this season was particularly bad, because they wanted to keep doing the "Jewish Lightning" thing over and over again and barely touched on the figures outside of LJN's guys.

And although they didn't make fun of anyone, I found the TMNT probably the worst of all the ones they've done because it focused like 1% on the toys and the rest on Eastman and Laird and the TMNT as a whole. Which is great and all, but there have been better Turtles documentaries out there, hell there have been better ones that go out of their way to "repair" the relationship with Eastman and Laird. I'm all for TMNT docs but this was supposed to be ABOUT THE TOYS, and they totally glossed over the toys in that episode. It was sooo frustrating.

Comment

• Treadwell
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Dec 31, 2018

disliking them picking at least one intervewee to look like a dunderhead in each episode.
                          This 1000%.
                          It's very unprofessional of them. These people probably weren't even paid to participate, and they end up being mocked in the editing. There's always going to be odd expressions and whatnot in footage of ANYONE being interviewed for any length of time, especially if you leave the camera running when your crew is adjusting lights, etc. An interviewee trusts the production not to exploit that. It's very uncool of them to do so.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎