X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

McDunsel appreciation/spotlight thread

OK, for my 5000th post I thought I would try to drum up some eye-candy for the museum.

Noelani72s sales post with the GIANT and beautiful pics of his McDunsels got me to searching for some archived pics. I know there is an outside site with all the figures on it, but I thought it would be cool to see some figures that were in members collections.

So - if you gots a McDunsel that you want to share - please post up a pic in this thread. Any tales about the McD era you want to share - bring it on. Send some love towards two great members of our community that have inspired many of us.

I'll start with my McD Gorn on lizard body. I don't believe his friends Mr. Sulu and Mr. Chekov are Brady sculpts, but they make me think of that style and they are some of my favorite Trek finds.

• david_b
    Never had enough toys..
    • May 9, 2008

His Space:1999 heads were awesome.. Here's my Professor Bergman made by McDunsel, along with my original Koenig and Carter...:

Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Mego Madhouse

Comment

• Mego Magyar
        Permanent Member
        • Jan 17, 2011

Excellent work. Too bad it's not really available any more.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
          70's Era Pimp
          • Sep 7, 2011

I really would love to have a Kor & Kang. Nice work

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

I missed the beginning of the Dunsel era, so i had to make most of the Dunsels myself, but with the parts from the man himself. Still have a couple I have parts for or started that need finishing.
            For Marta's dress Dave MC sent me his prototype dress so I could copy it. Still have that prototype dress.

"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I never seen that Friday's Child guy ... Is that a McDunsel ?

Looks really really nice

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

thanks Meule, those are awesome.

are the Chekov and Sulu sculpts similar to mine? I have always wanted to figure out where those heads originated from.

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Mikey
                  I never seen that Friday's Child guy ... Is that a McDunsel ?

Looks really really nice
                  Nope, that's an original Meule, did that years ago

And I think the Chekov and Sulu sculpts are Doc Megos
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Meule
                    And I think the Chekov and Sulu sculpts are Doc Megos
                    They're 9" Playmates shrunk down to Mego scale.
                    sigpic

Comment

• david_b
                      Never had enough toys..
                      • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by Meule
                      I missed the beginning of the Dunsel era, so i had to make most of the Dunsels myself, but with the parts from the man himself. Still have a couple I have parts for or started that need finishing.
                      For Marta's dress Dave MC sent me his prototype dress so I could copy it. Still have that prototype dress.

http://www.megomuseum.com/custom/cot...rekcustoms.jpg
                      I still LOVE my original Dave MC green belly shirt. I know others have improved on it for 1:9 over the years, but Dave's is still my favorite..:

Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Paul Evans
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 19, 2001

That was a long time ago.

Dave and I were partners for probably close to 8 years, starting around 2002. I did a little head casting and kept him supplied so he could take orders and paint. Dave did some head shrinking for himself, namely his Star Wars stuff. I helped out on a few tricky heads like the Yoda, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, C3-PO and the Han Solo blaster.

We did a bunch of cool customs together like Vader, Firestorm and the Star Trek TNGs.

I was friends with James too. James grew tired of casting heads and really just wanted to focus on sculpting. He offered his heads to Dave (made sense since Dave was doing the clothes), but Dave wasn't really into casting much, other than to add to his own collection, so he passed. James asked me if I'd help and ...well...how could I refuse?

Starting with the last head of Wave 2 (Kang), I cast his last five and took over the first nine sculpts for him. James continued to man the storefront...I think he enjoyed the chit chat with people. I ended up supplying him (with casts of his own sculpts) as well as supplying Dave (with our heads and eventually Dunsels) and we ended up with a very busy three headed arrangement.

Eventually, James got busy with real life, like so many of us do, and bowed out altogether...leaving me and Dave as caretakers of his legacy. I began sending the Dunsel casts to Dave who maintained and consolidated the storefront.

Dave eventually stopped sewing (though the dirty dog still owes me several McDunsel pieces so I can finish my OWN custom set, LOL!) but continued doing paints for people. Eventually, as you know, Dave retired from that as well. He sent about everything he had to me back in Spring 2010. I dabbled around for a few more months, but eventually just kinda went away...feeling old and tired and getting busy with my own life.

All said and done, we might have sold one or two and probably broke even. But really, it was about the fun of working together and helping people out with projects.

Did I miss anything?

Sometimes I really miss those days...
                        Last edited by Paul Evans; Apr 28, '12, 9:07 AM.
                        "They say no man can resist them."

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

thanks Paul.
                          Sometimes I really miss those days...
                          that is why I started this thread. As a tribute to those great stuff that was made from you creative folks in those days that continues to excite and inspire the creativity these days. good work, friend.

Comment

• bagmonster
                            Registered Lurker
                            • Apr 13, 2002

Not to be too sappy, but I miss those days as well. Having been around here as long as I have, I have watched this play out over and over again. Many of us come here to recapture our childhood, or at least the joy we experienced as children, and then we find adulthood so powerfully demanding that we almost lose our childhood again. Growing up twice? Yuck. In reality, the effort that it takes to maintain the business side of this hobby would seem to be overwhelming. I am grateful for those who provide the opportunities for those of us who dart in and out. I am grateful for this museum so that I can come in for a spontaneous pick me up and boost via the joy of megos and childhood. And in light of the topic of this thread, I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with, chatted with and laughed with James, Dave and Paul!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎