Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we the unloved/forgotten generation?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Are we the unloved/forgotten generation?

I think most of us here fall into what the media has dubbed Gen X. This is not really one of those back in my day type of threads or a criticism of Boomers or Millennials. Just a few of my thoughts on how the media covers the supposed generational divides and treats people as groups instead of individuals. So, don't take it too seriously.

When I was kid all I heard about were the Baby Boomers and now as an adult all I hear about are the Millennials. What do the Millennials want, what do the Millennials think, how do they shop, how do they feel, etc. We also often hear about how hard it is for Millennials. I'm certainly not saying or think they have it easy. Every generation has had their share of challenges and problems. As a generation we lived through Watergate, the energy crisis, hostage crisis, the cold war, Iran Contra, the AIDS crisis, high inflation, high unemployment and so on. But no one cared we what thought or how we felt.

Heck, everything we liked (cartoons, toys, games, music, etc.) were called demonic and we were going to be the decline of Western civilization. You know, they are actually building tiny Target stores just for Millennial customers. Seriously! They never built us special stores. We were expected to shop at the same Walmarts and Targets as everyone else and like it. We just seem to be a black sheep generation stuck between the two generations society actually cares about.
    Last edited by Werewolf; May 4, '18, 10:38 AM. Reason: Typos!
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf

Heck, everything we liked (cartoons, toys, games, music, etc.) were called demonic and we were going to be the decline of Western civilization.
    That prediction is still up in the air

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
      That prediction is still up in the air
      Lol, yeah, that actually reminds me of another thing. We are also stuck between two generations that blame us for their problems.
      Last edited by Werewolf; May 4, '18, 12:58 PM.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

In general, and there are many specific exceptions to this, my work experience has been Boomers still in control of decision making and grooming Millennials to take their place. Skipping right over Gen X. They're going to stay middle management. Of course this was not policy or strictly overt, but it was kind of in play like some little sub-routine running in the background. For example, I worked with Boomers who, when it came to computers and tech, wanted to believe that only Millennials could grasp these things as "natives" and failed to realize that Gen Xers have grown up with all of this, too. That being the case, Gen Xers know why things are done the way the are because we watched how it has evolved and that can be very important and very valuable....but that was only acknowledged if there were problems to be solved that would make that apparent. Then it went right back to status quo. I once had a Boomer assert that "20-somethings are the only ones that get this stuff". My reply was, "Well, consider me a 20-something with 20 years of experience".

Again, this is just a generalization of what I have decided is "sort of in play" based on what I have observed along the trail.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Makernaut
          For example, I worked with Boomers who, when it came to computers and tech, wanted to believe that only Millennials could grasp these things as "natives" and failed to realize that Gen Xers have grown up with all of this, too.
          Totally! We were the generation that grew up with video games and home computers. We are not exactly luddites, here.

I also agree about Boomers skipping us and grooming Millennials to be their successor.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

^ I hadn't thought of it that way before, but that's certainly true or rings true.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Makernaut
              For example, I worked with Boomers who, when it came to computers and tech, wanted to believe that only Millennials could grasp these things as "natives" and failed to realize that Gen Xers have grown up with all of this, too. That being the case, Gen Xers know why things are done the way the are because we watched how it has evolved and that can be very important and very valuable....but that was only acknowledged if there were problems to be solved that would make that apparent. Then it went right back to status quo. I once had a Boomer assert that "20-somethings are the only ones that get this stuff". My reply was, "Well, consider me a 20-something with 20 years of experience".

Again, this is just a generalization of what I have decided is "sort of in play" based on what I have observed along the trail.
              Great observation. I'd wager quite a few Gen Xers have tech skillsets that are far beyond many Millennials. I think we tend to be more comfortable with desktop computing versus devices. When I was being groomed as a preservice teacher, we were warned that the "Digital Natives" would run circles around us. Yeah, that hasn't happened, in my experience. In my job I see about 50 new kids come through my educational technology facility, and I'm not impressed. Very few of them can navigate a simple operating system. Some of them tap the monitors instinctively, rather than using the mouse. I have yet to meet a young person who truly utilizes the computing power of their phones to create their own audio, artwork, or movies. After growing up with tape recorders, Super8 Cameras, and giant Camcorders, I would've killed for the potential in a smartphone to make my own visual or auditory stories.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                I have yet to meet a young person who truly utilizes the computing power of their phones to create their own audio, artwork, or movies. After growing up with tape recorders, Super8 Cameras, and giant Camcorders, I would've killed for the potential in a smartphone to make my own visual or auditory stories.
                Yep, todays phones have more power than the computers that ran the Moon landing and people pretty much use them just to take selfies.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

the bigger issue I see, is that too many millenials have no work ethic. these kids just do not want to work, or some don't know how to organize themselves enough to get work done.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                    Hot Child in the City
                    • Jul 3, 2008

/\
                    Because it's a generation of instant gratification, knowledge, and response. They all want it now.
                    I see it with my daughter in high school, doing homework. No research, no looking things up...type in a topic and all you need is there. But the thing is, without the effort of finding it, thete's no retention. When she's finished an assignment it's over. Because if you HAVE to know it it's readily available in seconds. But missing is the history, the experience.
                    Same reason no one writes and sends letters. Why wait for response?
                    I honestly don't know where things are going to go, but it's not gonna be pretty I'm afraid.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

^ agreed. I was just talking to some friends about that last night. I just hope I have enough put away that I can retire and not worry about what a mess Millenials are going to make of things

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

It's true. I stunned an 18 year old student that worked in our store for his senior project last year. He could not believe that I had memorized ALL of our company's account numbers...FedEx, UPS, etc. Full names and addresses of repeat customers, frequently shipped to, etc. Not to mention movie star names, film titles and dates of original release, re-releases, all the various poster sizes...he asked repeatedly WHY I would bother to do this. He looked up EVERYTHING on his phone. One day I finally got tired of it, and asked him to give it to me. I put it in a drawer, and said OK. Now tell me ANYTHING that you've learned about your time working here without looking it up. He couldn't.

So I asked him...between the two of us, you have to rely on your phone, which I've just taken away, while I can rely on MYSELF. Now do you understand WHY I memorize everything? He finally got it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                          ...and not worry about what a mess Millenials are going to make of things
                          I agree with much that has been said in this thread about Millenials and technology, but I do not agree with your statement. They have inherited a "mess." I'm not at all confident they can overcome it, I hope they prove me wrong before something catastrophic happens.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

every generation inherits what they consider to be a mess from the previous generation, but I do not see that millenials will be competent enough to actually do anything productive once they are running the world. I hope I am wrong, my children are millenials and I would rather see them having an easier time of it then we have had

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              They have inherited a "mess."
                              We all inherited the mess and each generation has tried their best to make things a little better. The difference is our generation got blamed for "the mess" from both the generation before us and the generation after us. If Gen X really had that kind of world destroying power I'd be a gajillionaire living it up my evil lair which I made to look exactly like Snake Mountain. I'm just rolling my eyes at the constant media coverage and fawning Millennials get from the media and the Boomers.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎