X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Batwoman pilot

Ok, so I give it a whirl, I'm totally burned out on CW shows but I have to check out the pilot to a new CW show.

It's pretty atypical of the other shows, a bit over the top, plenty of additional characters to slow the action down but my main issue with it personally? The lead.

I admit I've never been a big fan of Rose, didn't like her on "Orange" or John Wick, I find her somewhat wooden. I didn't mind her Batwoman on the crossover though.

The other issue I have is her as an action star, she's kind of a twig and while the Batsuit improves that matter, I found myself kind of not buying her fight scenes. I've never felt that way about Sara Lance (easily my favourite CW character) because she seems to own the action scenes.

I have no idea if the show is accurate to the comic but if they add the "Question" I'd likely check that out.

Anyway, it's probably not going to get me back to the CW anytime soon, although that was a really impossible task to begin with, I never really read this character and i'm way too spoiled by "Doom Patrol".
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Whoops, I missed it. I liked her well enough on the crossover last year, but the non-subtle preachiness of Supergirl is what ultimately led me to leave that show, even though I do agree with most of its politics. I would guess Batwoman's are somewhat built-in, and honestly expected, so I wouldn't mind it as much here.

I'm not really familiar with the actress outside of this show, so I can't really say how I feel about her. I'm a bit confused about what Earth which show is now on. Maybe after Crisis, it won't matter?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

Batwoman repairs tonight
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

It's pretentious, which is the opposite of Arrow and Flash.

And to make matters worse, Ruby is the next Leah Dunham/Rose McGowan whose going to unravel before our eyes. It already started when she decided to share her back surgery on instagram. A Batwoman stunt goes bad, and someone convinced her it was best to double down and make things worse for life with a procedure which is known to not work long-term and will require more surgeries in years ahead. You can tell their are people working for her that are afraid she's going to stop being a hot property really soon.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I would guess Batwoman's are somewhat built-in, and honestly expected, so I wouldn't mind it as much here.
          Yeah, exactly, IMO it provides the show with some good character development as the hero is an outsider and it's believable motivation. Also, I assume we'll be seeing a "Batwoman-Kate-Sophie" love triangle in the coming shows which is a fresh take on a dusty ol' trope.

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

I too have burned out on the CW shows. I still want to go back and catch up on Black Lightning, because I stopped watching only due to personal issues, but I gave up on Legends a while ago, Arrow two seasons ago, and those "personal reasons" made it easy to non-regrettably fall behind and never finish The Flash (once my favorite show) or Supergirl. I will probably watch the last season's finales of those two shows because Crisis has me interested, but... eh.

To the topic at hand, I decided to watch Batwoman. New DC show, Bat-mythos and all... it was okay. I'm not a big fan of the lead actor, as it feels she is trying too hard in the role (and The CW has a lot to do with that, I am sure!), but the show, and the Kate Kane portrayal, was better than what the many promos showed. I will probably watch it, mostly because of the upcoming Crisis, but one of the best things about the CW DC shows is the initial hero character development and I would like to see her develop into her comic/crossover costume.

After that, I'm not sure what I will do with the CW shows. I still have interest in the DC Universe Shows (Titans Season 2, I still need to watch Doom Patrol), even if the same people are behind the CW shows. Maybe I am just getting Super-Hero film & TV fatigue.

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

Save for The upcoming crisis crossover, I think I’m done for now watching the cow shows I dvr batwoman but I might just erase it. I watched black lightning last night and it’s such a joyless show so I’m not bothering with any of them this season.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

It was hard to get through the CW-esque chewing of scenes, but I knew that would be the way going in. I just never believed this Kate as a pained and grizzled outside who turns to the Bat mythos. Maybe it's Rose or maybe its the writing or, more likely, both. I'll check out the next ep, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay with it. I have a feeling this will go the way of the other CW shows.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• knight errant00
                  8 Inch Action Figure
                  • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                  IMO it provides the show with some good character development as the hero is an outsider and it's believable motivation.
                  Yeah, except the way they're doing it, it's in danger of running close to this:

Loner.jpg

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

I’d rather watch paint dry.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                      I've never felt that way about Sara Lance (easily my favourite CW character) because she seems to own the action scenes.
                      I no longer watch her show, but yes, agreed...Sara Lance is awesome. She’s very athletic...and her fight scenes were solid.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 22, 2015

I gave it a try. Didn't hate it, but it doesn't seem interesting enough to compete with a whole slew of other things I could be watching so I will pass, for now.

I'll DVR/tune in for the Crisis Event out of nostalgia, but it's been a slow and steady decline to near zero interest in the Arrowverse, for me.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

I did not even realize it was already on. I set the DVR for tonight. I'll give it a shot but like many of you I am tired of the Arrowverse. I'm glad they decided to end Arrow on a short season. I gave up on watching Legends(too goofy), and Supergirl(too preachy) and am barely hanging in there for Arrow and Flash

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by knight errant00
                            Yeah, except the way they're doing it, it's in danger of running close to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26579[/ATTACH]
                            Ha! Yeah, I will recognize its ham-fistedness.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
                              I no longer watch her show, but yes, agreed...Sara Lance is awesome. She’s very athletic...and her fight scenes were solid.
                              I stopped watching too but it wasn't because of her, she was pretty great.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎