X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Return of the Vampire

While watching Retrun of the Vampire this evening, it dawned on me that the werewolf in the film could have been the inspiration for the character design for the Werewolf in the early Scooby Doo cartoons.

Similar ears, hair, stooping posture and dress. The fangs and facial hair were toned down, but the look is closer to Andres than Larry Talbot.

It's odd that Columbia used Lugosi as a Dracula like character around the same time Universal was using John Carriadine as Dracula in House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula. I wonder if Lugosi was on the outs with Universal or if Columbia paid better.

The opening scene in a grave yard and mausoleum are somewhat reminicient of the opening scene of Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. Set looks cheaper, but I still like it.
    Last edited by madmarva; Oct 29, '14, 11:06 AM.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

It's not bad for a modest/low budget sorta sequel to Dracula. Lugosi is still very good in the part. Still makes we wish there had been an official Universal sequel with Lugosi. Never cared for the Wolfman make up. Looks more like a rat to me.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

The story in that one is surprisingly good, and much smarter than the Universal "House" films. The female lead is actually a strong, independent woman in a 1940s horror flick. Who'da thunk it?

I know there was some legal maneuvers between Universal and Columbia over this. I've heard varying stories on whether it was before or after the movie's release. Some sources say Universal threatened a lawsuit because Columbia was producing this as a Dracula film. Others say they either sued or threatened to after the film was made, due to the obvious similarities to Dracula, which they still had exclusive rights to.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Universal royally screwed Lugosi over during the first Dracula, paying him only a quarter of what David Manners received. It was a tradition they carried on for many years and still do, even when it comes to merchandising.

I remember Erin Gray telling me about her experience with Universal. She said their shrewd lawyers made sure ONE WORD in her contract prevented her from receiving any money from Buck Rogers merchandise. They even wanted her to fly out to California to record bonus material for the Buck Rogers DVD sets AT HER OWN EXPENSE and NOT PAY HER!

Their cheap low blow tactics are also why Lou Ferrigno is the only person NOT interviewed on the Incredible Hulk TV series DVDs.

Comment

• isaacbradly
          • Nov 28, 2013

Lugosi gives a pretty good performance anyway.
          Celebrity NewslMovie NewslTV Show News

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

I have this movie on dvd, I really like it, what's better than a talking werewolf, I went to the Svengolie website and
              suggested this movie on there suggestions website, I'm kind of sick of seeing the same movies played over again
              every 3 months or so, also suggested a movie called Mark of the Vampire, which starred Lugosi as a Dracula character
              2 cool new movies to show and the running time still gives plenty of time for Svengoolie jokes and bits.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I love this film, I'd agree with many of the sentiments expressed above. To me, it has the right blend of everything to make a fun/scary second feature. Who'd have thought a Universal pastiche could out-do the source inspiration?

Lugosi's death scene is great--makes me wish Lee's initial Hammer demise had been less edited (still of him burning/decaying look awesome).
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 12, 2014

Erin Gray = HOT!!

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  Universal royally screwed Lugosi over during the first Dracula, paying him only a quarter of what David Manners received. It was a tradition they carried on for many years and still do, even when it comes to merchandising.

I remember Erin Gray telling me about her experience with Universal. She said their shrewd lawyers made sure ONE WORD in her contract prevented her from receiving any money from Buck Rogers merchandise. They even wanted her to fly out to California to record bonus material for the Buck Rogers DVD sets AT HER OWN EXPENSE and NOT PAY HER!

Their cheap low blow tactics are also why Lou Ferrigno is the only person NOT interviewed on the Incredible Hulk TV series DVDs.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                    Heh, that was the first thing I thought of too, great band!

Comment

• MysteryWho
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2008

Did you guys notice on the packaging for the new Waldemar Daninsky figure by DD that they are planning an Andreas?

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Yes I did see that and hopefully it's cool looking, will go nicely with the Lugosi Dracula figure,
                        I also noticed they will be coming out with the Abominal Snowman, looking forward to seeing that.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎