X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

New Ape Bits

Just some intel on the new Ape bandos and knives: http://www.classictvtoys.com/apeitems.aspx

Soldier & General Bandoliers now available in black and gray are nice looking, but the knife holster on General's gear is horrible. It's molded/cast too thinly and will instantly break if try to push in new knives (which are too wide) into them. I had to significantly trim the black knife to fit. Makes you wonder, didn't anyone test the two together before producing/selling!?!

Interestingly though, the new knives fit great into DM's bando which doesn't have any quality control issues.

As with the previous Apes clothing that FTC produced, the new gear is attractive and expands your Ape City Army, but are made of cheap materials. Handle with care.

Last edited by Confessional; Nov 19, '18, 9:41 AM.
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Nice group of simians, very sharp looking.

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

They look like some great new options for apes fans.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

So excited for new knives! Wheee!!
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

**Update… 3 years later I've noticed that the white/purple Soldier's tunic is now showing signs of degradation. The paper thin cheap vinyl is separating from the backing fabric in the folds.

I purchased these just after the products were first offered, and suspect this is the first step of total material breakdown that those who purchased these outfits after many months in Florida-warehouse-storage have experienced. Occurring regardless of climate and UV control… disappointing.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

FTC uses so much pleather and glue on their figures. Again, the vintage stuff is much more durable.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Confessional
              **Update… 3 years later I've noticed that the white/purple Soldier's tunic is now showing signs of degradation. The paper thin cheap vinyl is separating from the backing fabric in the folds.

I purchased these just after the products were first offered, and suspect this is the first step of total material breakdown that those who purchased these outfits after many months in Florida-warehouse-storage have experienced. Occurring regardless of climate and UV control… disappointing.
              @Confessional,

Does that seem to be only happening to the white/purple version of the outfits, or does it seem to be affecting the other color choices as well?

Also, how well does the Chimpanzee gear seem to be holding up?

Thanks...

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I doubled checked the whole line up for ya…

White Vinyl /Purple Knit and White Vinyl /Orange Knit are both degrading. Also I noticed the Orange Knit is fading too.

The Blue, Black and Orange Vinyl versions seem to be a slightly better quality of vinyl and are still in good condition. The Chimps and Orang gear has no issues.
                Last edited by Confessional; Jan 23, '21, 11:50 AM. Reason: …sensory perception!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I have Apes and medieval customs using the black-vinyl tunics. They are intact--so far. Kept in a cooler, drier room without light.

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

^^ These are the only items in a studio filled with vintage and contemporary soft goods that I've found any signs of failing. I too miss the vinyl-armor-qualities of vintage Mego in comparison to modern toy parts.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

So true, nothing beats that vintage Nauga.

Honestly, using glazed/mercerized chintz and top-stitching the embossing would be a very durable, comparable look for the military tunics.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 23, '21, 1:03 PM.

Comment

• apes3978
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Confessional
                        ^^ I doubled checked the whole line up for ya…

White Vinyl /Purple Knit and White Vinyl /Orange Knit are both degrading. Also I noticed the Orange Knit is fading too.

The Blue, Black and Orange Vinyl versions seem to be a slightly better quality of vinyl and are still in good condition. The Chimps and Orang gear has no issues.
                        Confessional, thanks for checking out everything...

And as a side note, I've yet to buy any of the Gorilla gear, but I have to say I am annoyed by one thing-I don't like that the mitts of the gloves don't match the color of the sleeves/pants. If they did it that way to try to make it look like the figures hands are brown, then they should have just skipped that step, and sewn cuffs/gauntlets onto the sleeves like the General outfits.

Comment

• Confessional
                          Maker & Whatnot
                          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Yeah, no doubt! The gloves were/are a total disaster in size/fit and quality too. I cut most of them to make cuffs instead.

Comment

• glimpy
                            Loco Chango
                            • Feb 5, 2012

All my ape figures toy company tunics have crumbled to pieces
                            sigpic

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 23, 2019

Vinyl clothing such as the Apes outfits and "leather" jackets from FTC/CTVT are terrible... I experienced a crumbling leather jacket last summer, and experienced the same thing again when I purchased the purple and white Apes outfit a few months ago. As soon as I opened it from the packaging and attempted to put it on the figure, it just flaked away. I ended up going to eBay and purchasing an original which, after more than 40 years, is still in fantastic shape.
                              "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎