Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpideyDude73
    • Jul 5, 2019

Is Mego Missing the Mark?

Mego Batman and Spiderman are some of my first and most treasured memories. I was super excited when I saw they were getting back in the game with the Target exclusives and picked up the ones I felt I had a connection to. There was always a small feeling of "something" missing.

I pose this question... is Mego missing the mark by not using retro style packaging?? There is obviously a huge resurgence of toys being released in the 70s and 80s vibe(or virtually identical to the originals) and Mego should not fear jumping on that bandwagon because they WERE the originals. I want Mego to succeed in a bad way with their reintroduction of 8" figures but I feel like the soul just isn't there.

What do you guys/gals think??
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

on things like Star Trek and the Superheroes they are tied to the brand packaging by the license holder

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 22, 2011

I think some of the packaging designs are forced by licensors based on what I have read but I definitely would prefer more retro looking packaging.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
        I think some of the packaging designs are forced by licensors based on what I have read but I definitely would prefer more retro looking packaging.
        I definitely agree, I would have liked seeing the Star Trek figures card backs released on the retro designs.

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
          Correct. Package design IS limited to style guides and what we're asked to do, for example - NOT put the character's image on the front of the card. It's easy to pick it apart as a consumer not understanding graphic designers don't have free reign to do whatever they want. They're given instructions to execute.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Brown Bear
            Correct. Package design IS limited to style guides and what we're asked to do, for example - NOT put the character's image on the front of the card. It's easy to pick it apart as a consumer not understanding graphic designers don't have free reign to do whatever they want. They're given instructions to execute.
            My biggest question would be WHY doesn't anyone challenge this? If I were making a product I would. What is the REASON for not putting the character's image on the card? Are we talking about actor likenesses or comic art? Who makes the decision, and why? I would challenge it, force the issue, and prove that I could do better. After all, isn't the goal to make money? If better packaging designs would increase sales, what corporate idiot wouldn't want that? It makes ZERO sense from a business standpoint.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

^Mego did challenge it. They created cards using vintage art for the DC Heroes and presented it to WB.

You know what WB said? “Thanks, now do it our way.”

It’s not about creating art, it’s about uniformity of product.
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 15, 2010

^^This is something I’ve been up against for the past 20 years, as both an illustrator and a graphic designer. Marketing has corrupted design, pure and simple. Way too many "art directors" now with MBA’s instead of BFA’s. When I entered the NY design market in 1984, an art degree from a prestigious school was your ticket in and the fast track to advancement. Not any more.

I wish I could tell you some of my horror stories, but since I’m still in the field, I won’t burn any bridges.
                sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I think part of it is the advancement of software tools, making them easier for people with little artistic talent to use. It gives ...ahem... managerial types with no actual skills just enough of a leg up to design PowerPoints and rudimentary Photoshop presentations that wow the upper management (who also have no skills or training), and get jobs managing actually talented graphic designers, and marketing departments. The software doesn't develop their eye for design, however, and they therefore create stringent, uninspired corporate blah.

Needless to say as a graphic designer, I have seen this happen far too often in the past 25 years.

DC's current look on most of it's product is probably the most "corporate" look I've ever seen used by an entertainment company. Even when they use style guide art of the characters, its often a few iterations back from what's in the comics now, and it in no way looks like the classic versions of the characters anyone knows, or even the films. The New 52 designs should have been expunged from the style guide at this point. They have absolutely no relevance in the market.

For some reason the "DC Classic" arm of merchandise often escapes this, and gets to use the Garcia Lopez art from 1982 onward. They would be better off JUST using that.

I applaud the folks at Mego who tried to buck this trend. I'm sorry it didn't work.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• zeedox
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 10, 2007

Packaging and the Mark

Ah i recall as a kid trying to figure reason to all the different packaging. I think I liked the box ones more than the card, but I can't recall. I think I do recall wondering why Trek didn't have box versions. I remember meeting Nimoy at the mall in Brooklyn in the 70's and sorta wanting to ask him.

Anyhow I guess the boxes change and have always changed. The changes in the box art isn't nearly as bad as what they have actually done to some of these heroes in the comics themselves. I think we are happy to get items that we get. I hope we get the 8" flash and lantern.

I will say I was looking at my post-mego era megos as an ensemble the other day. From the Mattel Batman, to the Figures Toy Adam West Batman etc. You can see our interests have really been searching and going through quite a bit. The Mattel cards look like the originals but the figures are poor. The Adam West Figures Company one I can't really get passed the arm pieces which is very un-mego.

The ones under the branded mego line are the best, save for the redos of the originals from figures toy. I think if you look at Figures Swamp thing we have the perfect balance of the packaging.

I think the real issue isn't Mego at all. I think the distribution has been really fumbly and its not the current events. The wacky shelves from a year ago with Tootie are strange. A one off of Action Jackson without accessories defeats the point of what I recall from that toy. Taking on licenses like Bradys without intention of completing core characters. Decieding we don't need Dr. Bones from Star Trek and of course most of all that dreadful head of Captain Kirk.

That's prob the worst of it the Kirk head.
                    Why doesn't it get fixed even? They should just make two four packs for Trek and get it right.
                    Kirk Spock Bones and Uhura in one set
                    Sulu Checkov Scotty and a Klingon in the other.

And then that Awful shows Saru? I mean does anything even know what it takes to get a full crew from that show? And Pike hasn't been there in a long time so that is silly too for toys for that show. Q in robes or Borg are not representations of that show either in any substancial way. How about making Sarek?

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

I wonder how FTC has gotten around that? Something different in the original agreement before Warners got so picky? Or is the fact that FTC is using the more classic packaging the actual reason Mego can't do that? Maybe Mego's packaging can't be similar to avoid confusion in the market.
                      Last edited by scott metzger; Dec 28, '20, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by scott metzger
                        I wonder how FTC has gotten around that? Something different in the original agreement before Warners got so picky? Or is the fact that FTC is using the more classic packaging the actual reason Mego can't do that? Maybe Mego's packaging can't be similar to avoid confusion in the market.
                        I believe it’s because Mego has a mass market license. Everything on the shelf with a WB license seem to follow the same template.

FTC’s license is more boutique and not on mass market shelves, so perhaps they don’t have the same restrictions. Maybe they were even grandfathered in.
                        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                          I believe it’s because Mego has a mass market license.
                          It 100 percent is because of this. We have the same licenses here at work and yeah, our DC stuff is particularly bland.

I can't show it but I saw the card design that Mego submitted that WB shot down, it was beautiful.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                            It 100 percent is because of this. We have the same licenses here at work and yeah, our DC stuff is particularly bland.

I can't show it but I saw the card design that Mego submitted that WB shot down, it was beautiful.
                            Well, if WB or DC won't listen to their licensees, maybe they'd listen to their customers.
                            I'd be happy to point out to these corporate geniuses that I'd buy more of their product if the packaging didn't suck.
                            First rule of retail is presentation is EVERYTHING. I buy two of every FTC figure because the cards are gorgeous, despite them costing more than double what Mego charges.
                            I only buy one of each Mego...no need to keep carded figures, so there you go.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

have at it. Style guides are BS most of the time.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎