Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever remember something nobody in the entire WORLD remembers ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Ever remember something nobody in the entire WORLD remembers ?

Grew up in a relatively small town --- very Mayberry-ish

We had a diner everybody called "a greasy spoon"

Later in the 80's it became a custom furniture wood shop.

Today it's a car repair garage.

Now, I can't find one person in this world that remembers it being a diner including people that should remember it that grew up back in the day with me.

Sometimes I think i'm cracking up (to the modern generation - cracking up means going crazy)
  • ToyTalk
    Career Member
    • Mar 25, 2020

You can't make it to the age you must be without already being a big crazy. There was an old fashioned shake shop in the town I grew up in. Like your diner, I'm the only one that remembers it being there.
    Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

Maybe you slipped through an alternate parallel dimension. Happens to me all the time.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Sounds like a Twilight Zone episode.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Klosterheim
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 23, 2013

That's something.

Have you experienced a moment in Time, when all diners had stuffed pasta shells on their menu?

I don't know if anyone remember the store Gee Bee's, but one became a Giant Eagle grocery store.

It was either Gee Bee's or Zayre that had a really cool green tank toy,
          that also opened up as a carry case for three-and-three-quarter-inch action figures.

There are probably a few things that disappeared over the decades.
          ---------
          Happy New Year!

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Hmm, a Mandela effect in action perhaps?

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by ODBJBG
              Maybe you slipped through an alternate parallel dimension. Happens to me all the time.

I've lost track of a department store!

I lived for a year in Morrisville, PA in an apartment complex called Penn Park. Across the street was a Clover department store. Clover was the cheaper sister store of Philly' Strawbridge & Clothier dept store chain. I distinctly remember the store because I was busted by the store detective for stealing micronauts around '78 (police were not involved, but one ****ed off scary mom was).

A few years back I went back to the scene of the crime, or what I thought was the scene. There was the apartment complex, now called the Commons at Fallsington and apparently no longer section 8 housing. Across the street, there was a large, flat rectangular one story commercial building but it was now a storage facility. It also didn't mirror the orientation I remembered OR have what used to be a supermarket next to it, as I remember Clover having. A police car pulled up to my car, suspiciously loitering in the parking lot to see what I was doing. He was older and said he'd been a cop for 30 years and had no memory of this being a Clover. (Strawbridge's and Clover both went out of business in the 2000's)
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 12, 2004

When I was six years old, I was kidnapped by a bigfoot and held for ransom. For 16 days, that smelly apeman kept me held up in a cave until my dad finally arrived with the ransom demand, a half gallon of Neapolitan ice cream, a transistor radio with extra batteries, and a 12-month subscription to Penthouse magazine.

Nobody in my family remembers this unsettling even but me.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67

…………….. Across the street was a Clover department store. Clover was the cheaper sister store of Philly' Strawbridge & Clothier...……… )
                  One thing I always loved about Clover was (yes their normal prices were high) but when they did a clearance they almost gave everything away.

My local Clover in Easton PA sold marked down boxed with book Trek Picard 12" Playmates figures for $9.99 apiece

Unfortunately that was $9.98 more than their actual toy-market collector's wanted value

I am suck a sucker

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                    When I was six years old, I was kidnapped by a bigfoot and held for ransom. For 16 days, that smelly apeman kept me held up in a cave until my dad finally arrived with the ransom demand, a half gallon of Neapolitan ice cream, a transistor radio with extra batteries, and a 12-month subscription to Penthouse magazine.

Nobody in my family remembers this unsettling even but me.
                    That happened to you TOO?! I wonder if it was the same bigfoot or if this is just something they like to do.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Ha!, ha!
                      ---------
                      This thread also reminded me of something else.

Woolsworth at the mall had a mini-diner in their department store.

It seemed normal at the time for them to serve hot food, but now it seems strange.

They were not a stand alone restaurant and they were not a fast food restaurant that belonged in the food court, how could it exist?

Maybe I watched Mallrats too much.

It was anything goes in the past, there weren't so many labels and categories.

Comment

• zeedox
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 10, 2007

Last year...

Billie Lourd, Carrie Fisher's daughter, had top screen credit for Rise of Skywalker on the Kiosk at Cinemark...

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                          Ha!, ha!
                          ---------

YES !!!

They all had them open glass Orange Drink machines recirculating over and over and made every kid crazy-thirsty

Closest thing you can get to them now is Tang

Comment

• apes3978
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                            Ha!, ha!
                            ---------

It seemed normal at the time for them to serve hot food, but now it seems strange.

They were not a stand alone restaurant and they were not a fast food restaurant that belonged in the food court, how could it exist?

Maybe I watched Mallrats too much.

It was anything goes in the past, there weren't so many labels and categories.

K-Marts around here at least used to have dine in cafes/restaurants, but as I recall, you used to be able to get the food to go too. We had their broasted chicken a few times... And by their Icee machine, they used to have an open air fridge where they would sell ham sandwiches-They'd sell them in a long tubular bag, four sandwiches per bag IIRC.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

^--- My local K-mart's diner was loaded with "little old ladies"

Even as a cocky 18 year old I would always leave a nice tip for them
                              Food was always great and service was nice --- with a smile

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎