X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

after 13 plus years...

at my now former employer. I turned in my two weeks notice last week as I found a better paying position. Today, I get called in and given a payout of my salary thru the last day of my notice and my 4 weeks of vacation pay and asked to leave. I now do not get to say goodbye to the employees I was friends with or the volunteers there. Kind of bad treatment after giving them a quarter of my life. I am disappointed, but I do start my new job next week now thanks to my newfound freedom. Rant over.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

that, unfortunately is, the way corporate America works anymore. best wishes on your new job. there is always social media if you wanted to make contact with your former coworkers

Comment

• TomStrong
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2011

That's really crappy. Especially since you were there for so long.

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

Sorry and excited for you all at the same time T-bolt.The very same thing happened to me 10 years ago so I get it.
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

All the best in your new job!

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Random Axe
            The Voice of Reason
            • Apr 16, 2008

Joe, that should totally validate your decision to leave. It's disappointing for certain but I doubt you're completely surprised. I can attest that there are opportunities out there if faith prompts a leap.
            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

^^ I thought I would be allowed to work out my notice as its not supposed to be a corporate evil place. No worries, tho, I go in the morning to finish up paperwork and then start on Monday. A week early.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mjaycox
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 16, 2008

That's reprehensible behavior, but sadly not surprising.

Common decency, like common sense, is all too uncommon these days.

Oh well, when one door closes, another one opens. You clearly made the right call. Best of luck in you new job.

Matt
                Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

I would like to think the company I'm with would be cordial, and this month is 18 years I've been with them, but I have a feeling it would be the same for me. Courtesy in the workplace doesn't seem to exist any longer and employees are viewed as a commodity, we're cattle and can easily be replaced.

Congrats on your new position and I wish you the best!

I just replied to your PM by the way.
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Corporate America is SO SCARED that you might do something to screw up their systems or steal their customers that, yeah, it's becoming the norm for them to give you the heave-ho before you've ever completed your "two weeks notice." What I also love about employers is they expect YOU to give THEM two weeks notice, but that doesn't go both ways. Usually, they meet you at the door and tell you to get the F out. Gotta love CA....

P.S. Congrats on the new gig, btw. Hopefully it's with a better company where you're a person, not just a number....
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

Congrats on the new job. Were you allowed to clean out the personal belongings in your work space? At my wife's last job, when her friend was let go, not only was she not allowed to say good-bye to her co-workers, she was not allowed to retrieve her things in her office. They were mailed to her.
                      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                        Permanent Member
                        • Sep 15, 2014

I'm going through the same situation right now. I got the call for another position opportunity. So I am fulfilling the 2 week notice. I'd love to take a breather and recharge if the roster wasn't already razor thin but I want to say goodbye to all the people and you never want to burn bridges.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Man that stinks. So sorry that happen to you. The corporate world always wants to make it personal when they ask you to sacrifice your personal time, holidays, and weekends, to reach their goals. But when they reach the point where they need to cut jobs to take care of their stock holders, there's no consideration for you. It's all bull crap. Glad you got back on your feet quickly. Best of luck in your new endeavor.

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

What a ****ty move, but I'm glad you already have another job, congrats on that.
                            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

I had the new job before I turned in my notice, former positions was at a public gardens in central florida and I really didn't think they would do me like that, I did send my exit interview form home so I could shoot it back to the HR person and President, so they had a nice read. New job is a big step up in pay at a college here in FLA. I cleaned out my stuff last weekend as I thought just maybe they would pull something like this. The department head is very petty and arrogant and my immediate supervisor is incompetent and I am not sure why he is there. He knows nothing about horticulture.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎