X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 56: Hammer Films

Episode 56 is all about the films by England's Hammer studios and we honestly try to mention all of them including the one's we haven't seen!

Our exhaustive retrospective talks about all the sexy vampires, frankenstein monsters, mummies, zombies that the studio that dripped blood could produce!

Some of the sidetrack subjects we touch upon are action figures, Amicus movies, Doctor Who, Thriller and i think Jason mentions a little film called "Blade Runner 2049".

Plenty more content on the PodStallions Facebook page!

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Hot damn! You're speaking my language! Can't wait to listen.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Okay, here we go...The one we've been waiting for. Awesome.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Cool!

I'm looking forward to the radio dramatization of the unmade Hammer film "The Unquenchable Thirst of Dracula", directed by Mark Gatiss.

Mark Gatiss directs The Unquenchable Thirst of Dracula as part of Fright Night on Radio 4

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

^ I saw that on my Facebook feed this morning. I would LOVE to hear it. I hope it will be available in the US. They absolutely nailed the poster art.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^Wow, that sounds great!

Great episode Brian. Dracula: Prince of Darkness is the film where Lee has no lines. I always kind of assume Sir Christopher got his memories mixed up when he was discussing bad Dracula scripts, because that one is still pretty solid.

Hey, why not do Amicus for your second episode? I'm a lot less familiar with them, although I've been catching up lately!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure I've enjoyed every Pod Stallions, but I definitely had fun listening to this one. I actually have not seen many of the Hammer beyond the main ones that led off each series, and as a kid I definitely thought of those Amicus films (and some AIP) as all being out of one factory. Their output did go beyond horror, including three takes on Robin Hood (including the Sword of Sherwood Forest, that gave Richard Greene a big screen adventure after starring in the 1950s TV series), but there is no denying they redefined horror for more than a generation.

I very recently discovered Cash on Demand, a thriller with Andre Morell (doing a great job as a classic British gentleman) and Peter Cushing (in an absolutely mesmerizing performance) that has parallels to A Christmas Carol. This film isn't supernatural, but it just makes me imagine how well Hammer could have tackled Dickens, just as they put out the great take on Hound of the Baskervilles. We could have had Cushing as Scrooge and Lee as Marley (or the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come), with the likes of Nigel Green as the Ghost of Christmas Present. Alas...not to be.
              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Bravestarr
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 26, 2017

Thank you soo much for this podcast It was a very informative didn't know that much about Hammer films

Comment

• Falstaff13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Hey, why not do Amicus for your second episode? I'm a lot less familiar with them, although I've been catching up
                  I second that for a future show. Beyond a few horror anthologies and the Doctor Who films, I was not aware of what was Amicus way back when, and I'd love a run through their history like you did with Hammer.
                  Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                  Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

After listening to the podcast my to watch list are the following
                    The Abominable Snowman (1957)
                    Theater of Blood (1972)
                    Dracula 1972 A.D.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

For some reason Shatter has double billing with The Abominable Snowman dvd release. Is it worth seeing ?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Shatter was the second film in Hammer's deal with the Shaw Brothers from Hong Kong. The first was Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I can't remember a damned thing about Shatter and I've seen it.

The only thing that comes to mind is i always found Stuart Whitman a bit odd in the role.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^I've never seen it. I've mostly stuck to Hammer's horror output, only dipping my toe into their "Little Psycho" suspense thrillers. Paranoiac is NUTS. Pretty chilling. Scream of (or Taste of) Fear has one of the best twists I've ever seen in a film. It would make M. Night Shamaylan envious.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎