X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Old West by Gabriel

In 2013, we got a pretty disappointing Lone Ranger movie, just like we did in 1981.

In 1981, we got a killer action figure line for that Lone Ranger movie that was so good, most kids loved them anyway.

Advantage 1981....

Gabriel Legend of the Lone Ranger Catalog.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

yup, love those figures! they went great with the butch cassidy and sundance kid figures!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

This was how I got my 9" Lone Ranger/Silver and Tonto/Scout sets as a kid. I loved those things to death, and still have the same horses, with a new Ranger and Tonto to replace them.

For some reason, I never had the 3.75" figures as a kid. If I remember correctly, I could never find the Lone Ranger or Zorro. I watched the Filmation cartoon, so I know I would have been after those had I seen them. Years later, we got a Big Lots in town, and circa 1988, there were pegs full of the small Tonto figures, but no one else!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I have a fairly extensive collection of the 9 inch line including the big play set. A well loved childhood memory.

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

Definitely a favorite line, and one that worked well with both the Butch & Sundance and Empire's Legends of the West line. I remember getting LR, Tonto, Butch Cavendish and their horses for Christmas, and I thought I had the whole line. Then we visited my grandmother, and a drugstore in her hometown had Buffalo Bill & Custer, and I, of course, had to have them. I remember making a deal to do chores for my grandmother so she'd get them for me.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Actorman
            Museum Super Collector
            • Oct 4, 2010

Were these the figures that a slit down the front of the holster so that the figure could actually "draw" the gun? Or was that another line?

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

that was these guys:

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• starsky
                veteran member
                • Aug 26, 2007

i would have loved to see those unproduced figures come to life! jesse james, billy the kid, and geronimo. the quick draw action was triggerd by a button on their back.
                Last edited by starsky; Dec 3, '14, 1:03 PM.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 28, 2008

I wish The Real West line had happened, and I would have loved these then and now. Gabriel produced great toys, and it's too bad The Legend of the Lone Ranger flopped. Since they also got the Zorro line, these worked as a version of the Filmation cartoon. The movie did have Buffalo Bill & Custer, but it also had Wild Bill Hickok who wasn't made. And there was no Grant figure (which was also a missed opportunity for Wild Wild West and Jonah Hex...)
                  Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                  Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Legend of the Lone Ranger is a guilty pleasure of mine. Other than the questionable narration by Merle Haggard and the block of wood that is Klinton Spilsbury, I think it's a good flick. It's a helluva sight better than the mockery that came out last year.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• bigdicebuddha
                      • Sep 20, 2012

Playing with these are some of my earliest memories of 3 3/4 figures.

Mego Comic Action Heroes (if these count as 3 3/4), Mattel Flash Gordon, and Legend of the Lone Ranger. These really take me back. I was only four or so at the time.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

loved this line as a kid. had them all. sold them all a few years back too

the 81 movie sucked eggs but I actually like the movie from last year. it's not a great Lone Ranger story but it is still a fun movie

Comment

• Red Hulk
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 19, 2012

My friend Nathan had these when we were kids.I would have liked to have that Zorro.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

I had both the 3 3/4 inch line and the 9 inch line. I loved both, but I was fascinated by the 9 inch line.

I went to see "The Legend of The Lone Ranger" with my grandfather in 1981. At the time, I really enjoyed the movie. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a scene toward the end of the movie when the Lone Ranger has the opportunity to shoot Butch Cavendish at point blank range...and the suspense builds. Some kid in the movie theater stands up and says: "Shoot that sucker!"

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

The 9" Lone Ranger was my very first action figure.
                              And then I was hooked.
                              Which was convenient, as Furies Captain Hook was the next one...
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎