X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The Eagle has landed

50 years ago today the Apollo 11 moon landing.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

It still thrills me to visit the Armstrong Air & Space Museum.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Check out the new Apollo 11 documentary, wonderful stuff.
      sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        It still thrills me to visit the Armstrong Air & Space Museum.
        Oh, I bet! Gotta make it there some day.

I just went to the Stafford Air and Space Museum over my vacation. (He was the Apollo 10 Commander and many people thought he would be the first man on the Moon. Also commanded Apollo-Soyuz and flew on Gemini 6A and 9A)

I lived in Alan Bean's (Apollo 12) hometown when he walked on the Moon. In fact, the street we lived on has since been renamed "Alan Bean Boulevard". And I lived in Thomas P. Stafford's hometown when he commanded Apollo-Soyuz. To say I am a NASA Nerd is a little obvious.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

That's fascinating, you've had a sort of luck.

As an Ohioan, it's been great to visit the Dayton and Wapakoneta museums and the Glenn research center. They made for some memorable field trips and vacation stops.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            That's fascinating, you've had a sort of luck.

As an Ohioan, it's been great to visit the Dayton and Wapakoneta museums and the Glenn research center. They made for some memorable field trips and vacation stops.
            You have Armstrong and Glenn. In Oklahoma, we have Stafford and Cooper (and later, Garriott and Lucid). (I lived in Wheeler, TX when Bean walked on the Moon). Many, many things make me proud of my Country, but the Space Program....that was when we were our absolute best. And it was such a small window in the middle of an unpopular war and crap race relations and a war on poverty. But, dammit....there was that one little window of "the future looks bright".

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

BBC America is broadcasting footage from NASA and US broadcast TV that was recorded during the flight and landing. It's very exciting.

I came back to the States in 1994 during the 50th of D-Day and was still acclimating for the 25th of Apollo and Woodstock. I wasn't quite a year old in the Summer of 1969 so the gravity of 1994 being 25 years ago is what's getting to me, at the moment.

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

They just played the "Houston. Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." moment. To see Wally Schirra and Walter Cronkite wiping their eyes with tears of joy and then cut to Mission Control where a cast of controllers and engineers are doing the same makes me feel like "we all want that kind of moment".

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

I remember reading somewhere in the UK when they were broadcasting it live they had Pink Floyd in the TV studio noodling around as mood music for the broadcast.

That would soooo NEVER happen today

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Mikey
                    I remember reading somewhere in the UK when they were broadcasting it live they had Pink Floyd in the TV studio noodling around as mood music for the broadcast.

That would soooo NEVER happen today

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...anding-250006/

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...onhead/594343/

Did not know ANY of this and "thank you" for the heads up. Very interesting, indeed.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

What an accomplishment! It’s still awe inspiring. At the time JFK made the proclamation to land a man on the moon and return him safely to Earth, the engineering wasn’t “there.” They, and the country, were challenged...and, we, amazingly, met that challenge. At one point during the Apollo program, 500,000 people were working on it. Amazing!

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Didn't both Armstrong and Aldrin report back to NASA that they were seeing UFO'S and the tv feed got cut off for 2 minutes? then when the feed returned they were talking about getting samples from the moon surface.

I've heard this story more than once, but not sure if it was just a fictitious rumor or actual fact?

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

I think due to stupidness on NASA's part they didn't master record a good part of the television signal.

That's why the moon footage is so bad today --- what you are seeing today was recorded with a camera off a television at NASA.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

They did, recently, find footage of Armstrong, Aldrin and the moon, recorded from the inside of the lunar module. Also recently discovered were hours upon hours of direct Apollo 11, and related, footage that had not been seen in almost 50 years. Great stuff.

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• SKotK
                              Career Member
                              • Mar 11, 2014

Anyone who hasn't: RUN, don't walk, to the nearest theater showing 'Apollo 11' (in IMAX if you can!). Barring that, or even after that, go pick it up on Blu-ray.

It is one of the best things you will ever see, and the closest thing to "being there" that you can experience. It's a documentary made up of all period footage and voices, showing the entire mission from pre-liftoff to splashdown. And a lot of the footage on the ground is the newly-found 65mm footage that has never been seen previously, and it's in amazing high resolution and color that looks like it was filmed yesterday. Absolutely incredible.

To say that it's breathtaking, stunning, and emotionally exhilarating would be an understatement. I saw it in the theater and was blown away, and then I watched it again on Blu-ray a few days back.

Highly, highly recommended. The best and final word on documentaries of the moon shot.

--SKot
                              Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎