X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 71: Summer of 1989

We're back with an all-new episode and what better time to wax nostalgic about the summer of 1989 than the 30th anniversary (sigh) of the release of Tim Burton's "Batman".

We get into the Superhero event of the summer along with the "other" comic book movie that season, delve into Star Trek V, Do the Right Thing, The Abyss, Jason Takes Manhattan and of course, the hit of the decade, Young Einstein!

We take a side step into our minimum wage jobs, movie theatres, comic stores and how much i miss my metabolism.

We hope you enjoy.

Please give us spirited debate in our new Facebook group.

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

When I try either to listen or download, I get an error message saying "Not Found Here."
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Thanks for pointing it out, it's been sorted so you should be able to get it now.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Great topic choice! Will listen today.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

I think you guys talked more about Yahoo Serious than Batman.

Comment

• megomania
            Persistent Member
            • Jan 2, 2010

I graduated HS in 1989....great memories!

-Chris

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

Yes, got it now--great show. I remember the fun of going to the theater as these films were released, and I do have a soft spot for Star Trek V.
              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

I enjoyed it! Yes, that turned out to be the summer of Batman. I remember all of the merchandise for the movie....tons of t-shirts. I barely remember Yahoo Serious.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• msenger76
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 3, 2009

Our family vacation was a road trip to Denver that summer. Got a toybiz batman at toys r us before we went. got joker along the way. read the novelization as we drove. had some collectors magazine that started my lifelong dream to own an Ideal superqueen Batgirl....got to denver friday afternoon of opening day, theater was packed so we couldn't even sit together. i just sat in amazement. what a great summer

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

That was a bad Summer for me. I have a hard time hearing nostalgia about it. It just makes me wanna curl up and hide.

Which is weird, because I love all these movies. It's just that thinking about them in the context of that summer makes me uncomfortable.
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

That was a lot of fun. To be honest, until I started doing research for my Batman '89 toy podcast and article, I had completely forgotten about Young Einstein. But there it was, advertised on the free WB catalog pamphlet I got at the theater when I saw Batman. Our brief fascination with all things Australia was over by the time Crocidile Dundee 2 came out. Until about 18 years ago when The Wiggles hit.

I honestly saw most of these films on home video release, because...Batman. Any chance I had to get to a theater was to watch Batman. I even skipped Star Trek V!!!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• DavidCoppola
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 3, 2009

It was a huge summer for movies.
                        I was so looking forward to Star Trek and being let down by it. Batman was so-so, as was Ghostbusters 2.
                        I REALLY enjoyed the Indiana Jones flick though.

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

Nice! I didn't get my usual notification so I'm glad you posted this. More gym fodder!
                          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

A little late to listen to this, but this was a great podcast!

I went to a Star Trek convention in March of 1989 and some magazine (probably Starlog) hosting a session that was a "summer movie preview". They spoke a bit about Star Trek V and some of the other summer movies... actually how little they spoke about Star Trek at a Trek convention should have been a warning sign, in hindsight... but they spent a lot of time on Batman and it generated so much *anticipation* about that movie. I felt like I was in some secret club and got to know about this awesome thing before it came out. But I associate all of these summer movies with that happy time, packed into a room in the Holiday Inn with a bunch of sweaty Trekies.

I also remember some daytime talk show-- Sally Jessie Raphael maybe?-- that was doing this thing on cosplay, with the premise that people who dress up like superheroes and stuff are freaks. The guy was in a Batman costume pretty similar to the '66 Batman costume... except he had these leather spiked wristbands that looked like they came from the bondage scene. He said that they helped him make the costume his own or something like that... then added... "You know, I think you will see something in the new Batman movie they are making. I think that will surprise a lot of people."

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

I remember that guy!
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎