X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Jerry Lewis for Hasbro games

Jerry Lewis's passing this week saw much reflection on his film and television career but I didn't see any mention of his time as a games spokesperson for Hasbro.

Celebrity spokes people for games was an interesting phenomena in the 1970s and Lewis joined other notables such as Don Adams, Lucille Ball and Dick Van Dyke shilling for toy makers.

Out of that group, you really have to say the best candidate for such a project is probably Lewis. Hasbro's ad campaign capitalized on his strengths and had several of his characters squaring off against the humorless (and overly Germanic) villain, The Baron.

The games are largely forgotten but this wonderful bit of pop culture shouldn't be.

Here is the original 90 second Toyfair reel for the Hasbro Spellbound game, showing that the Toy business always works well with a little show business.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Allie Fox
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 1, 2009

And who can forget Vincent Price and Stay Alive and Hangman?
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Allie Fox
      And who can forget Vincent Price and Stay Alive and Hangman?
      Apparently me! Aggghhh.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Jerry Lewis and GI Joe. That's something you don't see everyday.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I remember seeing that ad with Jerry and the Hasbro toys (probably on PS) and being a bit confused. I had no idea these games existed. But until I read Andy Mangels' Filmation book, I had no idea they had done a Jerry Lewis cartoon, either!

The guy in the bowler hat in the bottom right photo is a character actor I recognize from everything in the late 60s and 70s, but I don't know his name from Adam.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            I remember seeing that ad with Jerry and the Hasbro toys (probably on PS) and being a bit confused. I had no idea these games existed. But until I read Andy Mangels' Filmation book, I had no idea they had done a Jerry Lewis cartoon, either!

The guy in the bowler hat in the bottom right photo is a character actor I recognize from everything in the late 60s and 70s, but I don't know his name from Adam.

Chris
            Is the bowler hat guy the late actor Steve Franken? Google him for additional photos. He was in several Bewitched episodes.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^Yep, that's the guy I was thinking of, and I think that's him! Thanks!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎