X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: Zorro by Palitoy Bradgate

Vintage Mego this week explores a figure that is on a lot of collector’s want lists, from 1978 we present the Zorro figure made for the UK market by Palitoy Bradgate. We have a lot more questions than answers but that is part of the fun of collecting Mego! Check out the Mego Zorro…

More...
  • newlyknighted
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 21, 2010

We absolutely need a reproduction of this George Hamilton!
    I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I didn't know the release date of this figure, so I not only enjoyed but appreciated this video.

It's one of my favorite figures, I'm happy to own one courtesy of a UK member here.

That said, I think a reproduction would be great!
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

While I believe that this is a niche market, it would be nice to see a well done Zorro figure. But please, don’t use that horrible nylon material like the original!
        JediJaida

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I'm sure Rachel could probably improve on Zorro's outfit while still maintaining a Mego sensibility.

Great video. I've always been attracted to this guy, but I just can't justify the money. I feel like if I'm going to lay out that much, it's better spent on other Megos.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

The figure's clothing is rather nice for vintage Mego. I tucked the shirt in and added a sash (for someplace to tuck the sword). But I don't think it's bad effort at all, the cape is wonderfully soft.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 18, '19, 4:57 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

There seems to be a line of Zorro that keeps popping up every few years in Spain. It's not surprising that when Mego when overseas that Zorro was included. What gets me is that was all the produced, just Zorro no soldiers to battle with.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

Loved the video!

I guess the popularity of Zorro was different here in the states as he was still popular here in when I was young and I was born in 1974. In fact, when I was 6 or 7, I was Zorro for Halloween and I remember pretending to be or playing “Zorro.”

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Wee67
                  I've always been attracted to this guy, but I just can't justify the money. I feel like if I'm going to lay out that much, it's better spent on other Megos.
                  I understand your position, but I've never regretted buying a Zorro. On the other hand, I think I could be happy with a repro Jet Jungle made from vintage parts.

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I understand your position, but I've never regretted buying a Zorro. On the other hand, I think I could be happy with a repro Jet Jungle made from vintage parts.
                    Yeah, I guess we all have different things that are "worth it" to us. For me, it was the solid box WGSH's. I really am glad you're happy with your Zorro. We each get our own joy from Mego
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Emgee
                      • May 5, 2009

I am perhaps a little older than many collectors and live in London. I can confirm the BBC showed the series on a Saturday morning during the mi-70s. The old Lone Star ZORRO sword with a piece of chalk on the end was re-issued too.

Comment

• Emgee
                        • May 5, 2009

A BBC listings site. Here is a random episode I found but it ran in re-run for some years from the mid-70s onwards.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Emgee
                          I am perhaps a little older than many collectors and live in London. I can confirm the BBC showed the series on a Saturday morning during the mi-70s. The old Lone Star ZORRO sword with a piece of chalk on the end was re-issued too.
                          Someone on Youtube brought both those points up as well, makes perfect sense now.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

That's interesting about the BBC's possible influence. As much as I'm a Zorro fan. I've seen very little of the Disney version. I was more influenced by film versions and especially a TV movie with Frank Langella and Ricardo Montalban, 1974.

I have yet to see the Alain Delon film.

As mentioned above, I too pined for foes after I nabbed a Mego Zorro--an Alcalde or Sgt. Gonzales.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              That's interesting about the BBC's possible influence. As much as I'm a Zorro fan. I've seen very little of the Disney version. I was more influenced by film versions and especially a TV movie with Frank Langella and Ricardo Montalban, 1974.
                              I sincerely believed the BBC was somehow involved in the decision but i couldn't find a single reference to it until this video got released. I love it when mysteries get solved.

Really need to find a copy of that Langella Zorro, I have vivid memories of it.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎