X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Your pal, Jim
    Museum Patron
    • Apr 3, 2015

Got a couple of the new June 2019 figures

Quality is pretty inconsistent. Black Canary is fabulous. Atom is close, but had clear plastic holding his gloves on in the package. I gave up on trying to. get Riddler to stand up, I have to be at work in 14 hours. Creeper is pretty sweet. Poison Ivy's outfit is an improvement over the first version, but her head won't stay on.

I love what FTC is doing (when the figures finally come out) and I've been a big apologist for them... and while some things are getting better (head sizes, for example), some things are getting worse.

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg
    Last edited by Your pal, Jim; Jun 11, '19, 2:21 PM.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

I also received some new figures today.

First, kudos to FTC on great looking cards. Front and Back, the designs are really nice and makes me what to keep them carded. Odd that they all say Limited Edition on the back though.

Now, onto the figures, still in the clamshell...

The Riddler is a nice update of the classic character. The head sculpt might be the first in a while that looks a tad large, but not bobble head large, and it looks good. He had his bowler hat, but no cane, which is not a surprise, but it's still a bummer, especially when he is pictured with one on the card. When I saw he was on the skinny body, I thought, "Uh Oh!". Superboy isn't bad. The Joker needs help standing, but isn't terrible. My first Robin stands on his own, but one arm won't lay close to the side. My second Robin from the over-sized solid box series is TERRIBLE! So, after reading Your pal, Jim's trials with keeping The Riddle standing, I am not hopeful of what I will get when I free him. The lack of socks to help with the ankles won't help. I guess a LaserMego stand might be in order here. Too bad, because quality aside, it's a great looking body and adds nice variety to the shelf and has lots of uses. But for the quality... yuck.

The Penguin is another nice update, this time more so of the classic Mego version. Again, the new headsculpt is very nice, capturing the 1974 version of The Penguin (according to the back of the card; another nice touch of the new cards!). The final product looks better than the prototypes did, but I'm not sure what body they used. He doesn't look as short as I expected and the gut looks fine in person. He has his top hat, but no umbrella, which is no surprise. This is another great addition to what has become a very good Batman line-up from FTC.

Black Canary looks nice and I can't wait to add her to the JLA line-up, right next to the "can they possibly improve him?" Green Arrow. Mine has a bit of a wardrobe malfunction in the package and her clear head wrap wasn't placed on her heard very well. But I image once free and adjusted, she will look great. This is based on the 1984 look of the character.

The Atom would be the second figure that suffers from larger head syndrome. It's fine with me, but some will be turned off by it. So if you never bought a stock CTVT masked head, now you know what they look like. Also.... SHORT PANTS ALERT!... SHORT PANTS ALERT! Just like Hawkman, FTC goes with short pants because of the use of the pegged deluxe hero boots. I don't think it will be an issue to tuck them in better, or to swap them out with classic boots. The Atom also has the deluxe pegged hero gloves, which, as mentioned by Your pal, Jim, has clear plastic holding them in place. I guess so they don't fall off in package, but if you pull the peg out a tad bit, they stay on just fine. The Atom symbol on the forehead and belt are nicely done. Finally, I wish the blue was darker, but it still is a nice color scheme. This Atom represents his 1964 Showcase appearance.

The Creeper. The last of my order. The headsculpt is definitely crazy looking! More so than the card art. The, um, costume, I'm not so sure of. I think it's not really something I can judge until I remove him from the package, especially the red fur, which will need some adjusting. The black fur on the gloves and boots look like a "wrist" band design, with the tops of the boots and gloves also sporting a painted black band. I'm not sure what boots were used, but they look like the rubber boots, which may make reusing them a challenge; I have trouble with removing the rubber boots. The gloves are the deluxe plug-in style. I'm looking forward to seeing people's mods using more traditional parts and a yellow body suit. I have two yellow body suits, so I may even try a mod myself, depending on the quality of the body. As is, the yellow body definitely pops and looks good.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these stand up once I open them up.
    Last edited by TRDouble; Aug 10, '19, 5:32 PM.

Comment

• tllgn
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 6, 2010

Thanks for the heads up .I ordered these as well and others..

Comment

• scott metzger
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 9, 2007

I have Creeper, Canary, Atom, green Ivy and Pengy on the way. Already have some "Megoizing" parts ready, but waiting to see a few things in person. Creeper's fur looks like something I might need to deal with; I used these for my Creeper years ago:

Might wind up doing the same for this one; seems like something Mego might have done, considering these pipe cleaners would have been around and likely cheap to get in bulk.

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks for the pictures, Your pal, Jim.

I skipped Ivy, but she is intriguing to me. I really want a good Ivy. The first one was bad, from the costume to the wrong re-used head sculpt. Doesn't this green skin version reuses the same costume as the fisrt Ivy? At least the head band seems to stay on yours.

Comment

• rodkeith
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 16, 2008

I got six of them yesterday and pulled 'em from the package. Quick thoughts:

Penguin: Surprisingly good! One of my least favourite characters is possibly the best of this group. Excellent sculpt and tailoring. I'd like to add socks and an umbrella and he'll be perfect.

The Atom: As TR mentioned, a bit of big head syndrome, but not too bad. Having said that, the head sculpt is kinda odd, with a pronounced nose and chin if you see it in profile. While he's got the infamous short FTC leggings, interestingly the sleeves are long and fit the pre-fab gloves well. Belt is thin and more delicate than usual, and mine has a loose right knee. While all this adds up to the weakest of the wave, I still kinda am pleased to see him on the shelf.

Black Canary:: I like this one quite a bit. Open mouth serves the character but still an attractive expression, not as severe as other ones have been. She's got a bit of a thin head like other FTC females lately, but the bountiful, well-coiffed hair they gave her hides it well. Costume is nice on the usual FTC wonky female body. Only real issue is that the little white circle detail on her choker is a tiny sticker, that came off and won't go back on. Will have to re-glue.

Riddler: I got the suit version, was the onesie version supposed to arrive as well? No matter, I prefer this one. The costume, hat and head sculpt are all great, as mentioned by Jim above it's the tightly-strung skinny body that won't keep him upright. So, a stand it will be. Other than that he looks great.

Poison Ivy: Costume styling is great, non-Daisy Duke head sculpt is better, and sports a prodigious length of red hair that frames all that green well. Quibble might be that the green painted head hue doesn't quite match the green molded body. From five feet away not noticeable, but closer up it's more obvious.

The Creeper: This guy works for me. The molded yellow body looks sharp, especially with the faux-fur covering the shoulders, which by the way, are connected by loops around the armpits and a thin clear plastic band at collarbone level. The black fur around the tops of gloves and boots and loose so they take a little adjustment, no big deal though I'd prefer they were attached. Head sculpt and paintwork really serves the character. Ties with Penguin as fave of the wave for me, now that I re-evaluate.

Overall, despite the usual minor issues, I'm pretty happy with this wave as a whole, they all pop nicely!

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
              Museum Patron
              • Apr 3, 2015

Originally posted by TRDouble
              Thanks for the pictures, Your pal, Jim.

I skipped Ivy, but she is intriguing to me. I really want a good Ivy. The first one was bad, from the costume to the wrong re-used head sculpt. Doesn't this green skin version reuses the same costume as the fisrt Ivy? At least the head band seems to stay on yours.
              Hey TRD!

Yeah, they seem to have fixed the costume. It has straps now.
              Last edited by Your pal, Jim; Jun 11, '19, 2:22 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Does Poison Ivy have a neck?
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

Creeper looks pretty darned cool.

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
                    Museum Patron
                    • Apr 3, 2015

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    Does Poison Ivy have a neck?
                    Haha, yeah, but mine was decapitated. The head keeps popping off. I'm too chicken to take my guys apart to see how they work, so I dunno for sure what the pieces are supposed to look like, but to me it looks like an internal neck peg is broken.

Riddler's hands won't stay on either.

I'm normally a pretty positive guy about FTC, but these two problems kinda bummed me out and I shelved 'em all and stopped thinking about 'em and got on with my life.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Your pal, Jim
                      Haha, yeah, but mine was decapitated. The head keeps popping off. I'm too chicken to take my guys apart to see how they work, so I dunno for sure what the pieces are supposed to look like, but to me it looks like an internal neck peg is broken.

Riddler's hands won't stay on either.

I'm normally a pretty positive guy about FTC, but these two problems kinda bummed me out and I shelved 'em all and stopped thinking about 'em and got on with my life.
                      yeah for the money they really should stay together and be able to pose.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• tllgn
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 6, 2010

I received 6 figures today.and yes creeper is nice.black canary is nice .she has the same cheetah sculpt .but it works here.10 of clubs is ok she looks to have a repainted Starfire sculpt.its nice .her (10 ) on her outfit are stickers.birdman is rather nice although his wings should have been larger.green ivy also has Starfire sculpt.( Ftc uses their same sculpts to often.but it's better then the Daisy head .( On one boxed ivy I used the red headed Supergirl head .again to commonly used but it looks better then the other two sculpts.the atom is simple .as mentioned the head is a little to large .I think their all great and I like them.although I'd like to see ftc stop using those plug glove/boots .I never liked those.

Comment

• drogge
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 24, 2009

I think Black Canary is amazing, Creeper a work of art. Don't get me wrong, they have flaws but they are so fun. Atom is good, I am not a big fan of the molded gloves and boots but nice sculpt and body suit. The new Riddler and Penguin are welcome editions, I am happy I got em. I hope FTC continues to expand the DC line.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 27, 2010

is Atom or Birdman's suit baggy at all? Even though I critiqued FTC the other day I am pleased with canary and creeper

Comment

• drogge
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 24, 2009

Atom suit fits well. Not baggy.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡