X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Mattel's Monster High

I think this is really cool and clever. Daughters and sons of monsters going to a high School just for monsters. Sounds like Mattel is going to go all out on this property too. Toys, books and a movie with Universal.

The website went live a few days ago but not all of the sections are open.

Welcome to Monster High

Toys r us.com had the dolls for sale briefly about a week ago. I just missed them, grrrr!!!

Here's a link to someone's collection. They have some really nice pictures and comparison shots.

Monster High - a set on Flickr
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

I was wondering about the avatar.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by rche
      I was wondering about the avatar.
      Ghoulia, she is just too cool. She is smart and nerdy but can only speak Zombie which sounds like moaning.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

My wife was showing me these on a Barbie board. Cool concept. Kind of like a sanitized Living Dead Dolls.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• AAAAA
          Permanent Member
          • Oct 28, 2005

I think this was bratzs next venture

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by AAAAA
            I think this was bratzs next venture
            This has nothing to do with Bratz. Different sculpt, style and scale. Mattel has been developing MH for years.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Kind of a neat twist by making the Medusa-inspired character a guy.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Not much of a fan of the design, it does look a lot like Bratz
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
                  Not much of a fan of the design, it does look a lot like Bratz
                  They really look nothing like Bratz.

Some comparison pics from the person that got them from TRU.

Bratz, Monster High, My Scene

crazy 4 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

body comparison nude on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Well, it has the huge noggin on the skinny body ala Bratz, so I think Bratz like would be fair.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Well, it has the huge noggin on the skinny body ala Bratz, so I think Bratz like would be fair.
                      Exactly. The body and size may be different, but the head sculpts are nearly identical
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

can't help but see Bratz plus goth/living dead dolls myself

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          Bratz are shorter and squat in build with extremely oversized heads. They are also criticised (and probably fairly) for being overly sexualized for the age group they are marketed to.

The Monster High dolls are in a different style. Taller than Bratz and shorter than My Scene with a different body style and articulation. The heads are cartoonish in style but not oversized to the extreme like Bratz. The also lack the very exaggerated lips of the Bratz dolls.

I'm beginning to think anytime a doll has a stylized look they will unfortunately be compared to Bratz. Winx , Disney Fairies and W.i.t.c.h. dolls also have large stylized heads and also look nothing like Bratz.

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            Bratz are shorter and squat in build with extremely oversized heads. They are also criticised (and probably fairly) for being overly sexualized for the age group they are marketed to.

The Monster High dolls are in a different style. Taller than Bratz and shorter than My Scene with a different body style and articulation. The heads are cartoonish in style but not oversized to the extreme like Bratz. The also lack the very exaggerated lips of the Bratz dolls.

I'm beginning to think anytime a doll has a stylized look they will unfortunately be compared to Bratz. Winx , Disney Fairies and W.i.t.c.h. dolls also have large stylized heads and also look nothing like Bratz.
                            I dunno mate. Them monsters are wearing some pretty high and hiked up skirts. I think the lagoon girl has fishnets on.

Just about any small headed fashion doll is compared to or called a barbie as Mattel hit a style button and grabbed a big bunch of market share first. Calling big noggin dolls Bratzlike is probably a bit of a compliment really. They did make a pretty big impact in dolly world.

Comment

• ramsey37
                              • Jun 18, 2001

Those are actually kinda cool.
                              George

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡