X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Bright light for Marvel...

I'm a DC collector and reader. I have read all the classic Marvel stuff from the 60's and 70's because my big brother would let me read his Marvel books (He was the Marvel reader) Marvel has been such a disappointment for me for basically the last 20 + years. The last 10 or so has basically made shed whatever books I was buying from them. Way to many annual reboots and they basically out and out lied about the whole Legacy Numbering/storyline. All that being said...I have actually found a Marvel comic worth reading in my opinion...and it's not completely done by Marvel. Marvel has basically sublet versions of their characters to IDW recently and the one book I thought I would never read is IDW's Spider-Man line in what they call the Marvel Action comics line. It's meant for kids or young adults...but let me tell you they are fun reads and the art is really nice in them. I say them because not only is Spidey in his own book, actually sharing the book with Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen/Gwen Stacey, but there is also a Marvel Two-In-One book that has Spidey as the main character. If you can find them they are worth finding both if you want a fun read and also if you want to be able to give your kids something to read without fear of it being too dark etc. Spider-Man title is already up to issue 5 and the Marvel Two-In-One title looks like only one issue has been released.

• Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

I haven't bought a new comic in years but this one looks and sounds fun. I'll have to grab one and check it out.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I really have a disdain for the Humberto Ramos style (for lack of a better term). And what the heck, Marvel is farming out its characters to IDW?
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        I really have a disdain for the Humberto Ramos style (for lack of a better term). And what the heck, Marvel is farming out its characters to IDW?
        I'd agree with you about the Ramos style...but I think if the art fits the writing, and it's geared towards kid, then I don't have a problem with it. It's like when people say they can't stand Bacchalo's art style and I would tell them "What book was it on? His art has to fit the writing." His Dr. Strange run reminded me a lot of when he started on Shade The Changing Man way back when....weird art for weird writing. Same goes for Mike Alred's style.

As for them farming out stuff...there are I think about 3 or 4 titles in this line. Again, I have no problem if it gets kids into Marvel and reading comic books. The Two-In-One has a great backup story with Enchantress and Thor.

They are just fun reads which is definitely what Marvel needs to do and DC needs to do right now. Now if Marvel can only get rid of the stupid 8 covers for one book crap then they'd actually be thinking of writing and telling good stories instead of milking the collectors for all they have.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎