X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spockoda
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 14, 2018

Vinyl Is Once Again King?

I was out of town visiting my sister in law with my wife. We were watching the news when a report came on saying Best Buy stores are doing away with selling CD's but will continue to sell vinyl records. What an ironic turn of events when in 1989 stores stopped stocking vinyl records in lieu of the at the time new CD's. I guess instead of paying $12 for a new CD they would rather pay $25 on up for a new vinyl record. I'm not anti-vinyl as I have probably recorded over 800 LP's to CD since 2006 but haven't done much of that lately due to running into too many technical issues but this is somewhat surprising, at least to me. I know several people whom say they can't remember the last time the bought a CD when I bring the subject of music up and I myself have bought digitally download albums and individual songs mostly out of convenience. And then there's streaming music, which I haven't so far gotten into but it's difficult to wrap my head around the fact that now vinyl is kicking CD's butt in terms of sales. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

I think vinyl is great, I buy a fair amount. But someone please explain to me the resurgence of audio cassettes, that's a terrible format that has no need to be revived. At least with vinyl there are some advantages, but cassettes have zero advantage to consumers other than what, nostalgia? But then again, most of the people buying these probably weren't alive when cassettes were popular, so I'm really mystified. CDs are dead though, most people go with streaming/downloading for digital formats, and they have vinyl for analog, although I still buy CDs occasionally.

Comment

• TomStrong
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2011

I love vinyl! My 13 year old daughter has been collecting vinyl for several years now.

Comment

• spockoda
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by cjefferys
        I think vinyl is great, I buy a fair amount. But someone please explain to me the resurgence of audio cassettes, that's a terrible format that has no need to be revived. At least with vinyl there are some advantages, but cassettes have zero advantage to consumers other than what, nostalgia? But then again, most of the people buying these probably weren't alive when cassettes were popular, so I'm really mystified. CDs are dead though, most people go with streaming/downloading for digital formats, and they have vinyl for analog, although I still buy CDs occasionally.
        Yeah, I used to think cassettes sounded great and I was never going to "go digital" . That is until I heard a CD with the same music as a cassette I had. I am dumbfounded by the cassette resurgence and vinyl seems to have better lower tones and has a "right there" quality that digital doesn't have. After I'm seeing more and more mom and pop record stores popping up again I think this vinyl resurgence thing definitely has some legs. How long it will last is anybody's guess. I could do without the cassettes though.

Comment

• spockoda
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jan 14, 2018

Oh, just curious, are you buying brand new vinyl or used.....or a combination of both?

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

I still play records and cassettes. The classics rule!
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by spockoda
              Oh, just curious, are you buying brand new vinyl or used.....or a combination of both?
              A combination, mostly new, but if I find a good deal on used vinyl and the condition is right (I'm kind of a stickler regarding that) I'll grab it.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

But someone please explain to me the resurgence of audio cassettes,
                Cassettes are totally awesome.
                Portable analog audio.
                Mix tapes.
                Take up a lot less room than a collection of LPs.
                Guardians of the Galaxy.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

GOTG is the reason there has been a resurgence for cassette tapes. I still but CD's but also buy vinyl both new and old. I actually prefer vintage copies, warts and all. my only requirement is that the sleeve is not too bad and the vinyl plays well. I just got a bunch of Nilsson records the other day from ebay.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Records, so easily damaged.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

I have some records that I need digitized. What's the easiest way to do that?

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                        Records, so easily damaged.
                        This, and I never have confidence in the quality of my stylus on my turntable. So hard to truly got a pop and crackle free listening experience. While I respect the novelty, and the history, and the warmth of the sound on a high end system, my preferred delivery for music is CD. You still get liner notes and artwork, the jewel case was such a great invention and is replaceable. I will say, if every vinyl came with a lossless digital download code, they might get me, but for now, I'm sticking with CDs.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                          I have some records that I need digitized. What's the easiest way to do that?
                          You have to take the analog RCA cables from the turntable, and put them into an adapter that will plug into a microphone plug on a computer. Then use your recording app of choice like Audacity. There are then lots of pop and hiss removal software out there. I did it with all of my Power Records.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                            Banned
                            • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            Cassettes are totally awesome.
                            Portable analog audio.
                            Mix tapes.
                            Take up a lot less room than a collection of LPs.
                            Guardians of the Galaxy.
                            Yeah...but everytime you play a cassette it dies one death. Shedding of the tape happens everytime you play it. It's the one that will not last as long as vinyl or CD's...And if not stored properly is very susceptible to heat damage/cold damage and mold.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                              Yeah...but everytime you play a cassette it dies one death.
                              Nothing lasts forever. Older CDs and DVDs suffer from disc rot and vinyl warps and scratches. I, luckily, still have cassettes from childhood that still work like new. I like vinyl and CDs just fine too and I'm happy there's something for everybody.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎