Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kids stuck in cave may have to wait until October to get out.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Kids stuck in cave may have to wait until October to get out.

Imagine being stuck 3 miles underground, pitch black, trapped by water and passages small enough for only 1 person to squeeze through?

I cannot imagine the world of anxiety I would be experiencing.

The teacher who led them down there could possibly hold the world's dumbest title.

Two doctors volunteer to STAY with children trapped in Thai cave for FOUR MONTHS if floodwaters cut them off and make rescue attempts impossible, as divers prepare to take pork and rice to survivors
    • Twelve Thai boys aged 11-16 and football coach were lost in Thamg Luang cave in Chiang Rai for nine days
    • All of the group were miraculously found starving but alive by two British volunteer cave divers on Monday
    • Family members who feared their kids were dead rejoiced as they heard confirmation they'd been found alive
    • Experts said boys may have to wait for months for water levels to subside because they can't swim or dive
    • But there are fears of rain fall in the coming days meaning they may have to learn to dive and swim through narrow gaps themselves

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5912771/Thai-cave-survivors-learn-dive-amid-fears-fresh-rainfall.html
    Last edited by Mr.Marion; Jul 3, '18, 2:08 PM.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

That link doesn't work.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i read about this today. so sad and scary. they are sending NAVY seals in to bring food and supplies. they really should train the kids and take them out one by one. apparently it is miles of dark, churning waterways to navigate through to where they are

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

I've been following this story for the past week. Wonderful news that they've been found but getting them out will be very tricky right now. Most (if not all) of the boys have no swimming experience let alone diving experience, and this would be a very difficult, dangerous dive to get out of the cave even for experienced divers. They're apparently looking to see if there is an alternate route to reach them, because keeping them down there would also be risky due to any additional flooding into the cave, and four months would be crazy! I can't imagine how the parents feel, what a roller coaster this has been for them.

Comment

• Marvelmania
          A Ray of Sunshine
          • Jun 17, 2001

Scary stuff, I can't imagine what it's like for them. To be found then to be told you have to wait to get out. Just hope they all make it out of there.

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

how the heck did they get so far in, so deep in the first place??

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by noelani72
              It's a popular cave to explore, when it's not rainy season, which just started in Thailand. The entrance was perfectly dry when they went inside (after soccer practice, as they have done in the past) but then a surprise rainstorm happened, and all the rushing water blocked the entrance and the rising water forced them to go deeper into the cave where the elevation is higher. Plus some mud and dirt moved by the flooding blocked some of the narrower passages. Under these circumstances, they are very lucky they were found, now they just have to find the safest way to get out.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by noelani72
                They weren't trying to go cave diving. They are local kids who have explored this cave before and are familiar with it. This time, they went a little too far, and then a storm set in while they were inside. That caused the cave to flood and trap the kids. That got pushed back farther inside because they were trying to escape the rising water.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

Well I'll be damned, they got them all out.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, I'm so happy about this, it was a very risky rescue but they did it!

Comment

• Marvelmania
                      A Ray of Sunshine
                      • Jun 17, 2001

Yeah and just in the nick of time too!

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                        Imagine being stuck 3 miles underground, pitch black, trapped by water and passages small enough for only 1 person to squeeze through?

I cannot imagine the world of anxiety I would be experiencing.

The teacher who led them down there could possibly hold the world's dumbest title.

Two doctors volunteer to STAY with children trapped in Thai cave for FOUR MONTHS if floodwaters cut them off and make rescue attempts impossible, as divers prepare to take pork and rice to survivors
                        • Twelve Thai boys aged 11-16 and football coach were lost in Thamg Luang cave in Chiang Rai for nine days
                        • All of the group were miraculously found starving but alive by two British volunteer cave divers on Monday
                        • Family members who feared their kids were dead rejoiced as they heard confirmation they'd been found alive
                        • Experts said boys may have to wait for months for water levels to subside because they can't swim or dive
                        • But there are fears of rain fall in the coming days meaning they may have to learn to dive and swim through narrow gaps themselves

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-rainfall.html

Mr. Marion,

All kids and coach were safely rescued a few days ago, FYI.

I'm on top of it.

All is good.

Corny
                        Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                        :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                        I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

FYI read post #9...

...and Mr Marion was the only one on top of it...we just followed his lead...
                          sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

I thought he meant that he helped in the rescue effort.

Comment

• warlock664
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 15, 2009

Methinks 'tis time for Corny to take up spelunking.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎