X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael crawford
    Museum Super Collector
    • Dec 15, 2008

One:12 Collective Frankenstein's Monster review

The more I mess around with this figure, the more I like it. I'm still not digging the pants, but the rest is fantastic.

In Depth Review and Photos of the Frankenstein's Monster One:12 Collective action figure by Mezco - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Captain Toy

review_one12frank_1.jpg
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

^That is very tempting. The Karloff portrait is more subtle than many previous efforts. Great review as always.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

I reviewed the figure over at Universal Monster Army a few days ago..My review over was pretty much identical to yours.

My only nit was the pants also, but the rest of it is off the charts amazing. I think it's the best Karloff Frankenstein we've gotten in any scale. The fit of the suit is better than the Sideshow 12" which is mind-blowing at that size. I don't know how they managed it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Plus, he's dressed in BLACK, not that god-awful green jacket that Universal's style guide normally insists on. I love my Sideshow Bride of Frankenstein Monster figure, but that coat is UGLY.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• michael crawford
          Museum Super Collector
          • Dec 15, 2008

I continue to be very, very impressed with the entire line, but this one is a stand out.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by michael crawford
            I continue to be very, very impressed with the entire line, but this one is a stand out.
            I received my SDCC Captain America today. Holy CRAP! They are knocking these things out of the stratosphere.

Comment

• ovenmitt
              Persistent Member
              • May 26, 2009

Nice review, Michael, I Agree! I have collected Universal Monsters figures for 40 years now since 1976 AHI 8" UM Figures! Then Remco, Hasbro, Sideshow, DST. I have not been this excited since first seeing the Sideshow 8" UM figures! I got the black and white One:12 Frankenstein because the movies were in B&W after all. Best Boris Karloff likeness figure I have Owned! And I like his black cloth Outfit! Mezco must make the other Universal Monsters! One:12 is my favorite figure line, great Licenses!

enyawd72 I got One:12 Classic Captain America too and he is Awesome! On the Fwoosh Marvel forum someone posted a pic of MIB Modern Cap and said he is already Out! I got an email from Mezco last night saying black Shadow land Daredevil ships in about 3 Weeks. I hope red DD and a Punisher make it by Christmas!

Please let Mezco announce One:12 Star Wars license by 2017 Toy Fair!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

That's a beautiful, classic sculpt. For the grimacing face, I wonder why something original was chosen instead off the more Karloffian, one-sided growl?

How deep are they going with these? Most of you can guess I'm interested in how One:12 would tackle the Phantom of the Opera or Dracula.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I would personally LOVE to see a Chaney-accurate Wolf Man.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

with a Chaney Jr Larry Talbot head as Well! And his walking cane with the silver wolf head on top!

Comment

• rykerw1701
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 27, 2007

I don't normally collect Universal Monsters, but this one was so good I couldn't resist. Looking forward to getting in the mail in a few days. Also, because Mezco is doing such a great job with the 1:12 line, I felt confident enough to go into an area I normally don't tread. I'm really looking forward to more Star Trek from these guys

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

All I can say is wow! this is a magnificent piece, and I love the angry growl look. I may have to break down and get this
                        since Franky is probably my favorite of the universal monsters. I'd love to see a Chaney Jr. version and Strange too.

Comment

• michael crawford
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Dec 15, 2008

They are doing a Mezco store only exclusive tomorrow of a combo pack of the figure and a door/wall diorama. You can also just get the diorama by itself. No word on pricing yet.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

The combo door/wall and the Frankenstein figure is $160, and for those of us who already have the figure, the door/wall is $105. I have to say those prices are disappointing. I realize there's fewer collectors that will want the backdrop than the figure so the costs have to be spread out over fewer units, but there's also probably no licensing fee for a wall. The diorama looks great, and you could easily put two or three Universal monsters around it, but it seems pricey to me.

Mezco showed a Captain Kirk chair prototype as well. It's smaller than the door/wall but you'd have to think that's going to be over $100 because it probably does have licensing fees and lights and stuff.

Comment

• justzeg18
                              Career Member
                              • May 5, 2003

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                              The combo door/wall and the Frankenstein figure is $160, and for those of us who already have the figure, the door/wall is $105. I have to say those prices are disappointing. I realize there's fewer collectors that will want the backdrop than the figure so the costs have to be spread out over fewer units, but there's also probably no licensing fee for a wall. The diorama looks great, and you could easily put two or three Universal monsters around it, but it seems pricey to me.

Mezco showed a Captain Kirk chair prototype as well. It's smaller than the door/wall but you'd have to think that's going to be over $100 because it probably does have licensing fees and lights and stuff.
                              I wonder if it's more a matter of production style? Maybe they're doing it in resin / by hand like Super7 did with the alien playset until there was enough demand to justify having steel molds cut.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎