Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shake Up at DC, Jim Lee now CCO, Geoff Johns steps down to form production company

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Shake Up at DC, Jim Lee now CCO, Geoff Johns steps down to form production company

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...g-deal-1118131

Hollywood Reproter has broken the news that Geoff Johns has stepped down as CCO of DC Entertainment to form his own production company (Mad Ghost Productions) that will create content for WB and DC including movies, tv and comics. Jim Lee will replace him as CCO of DC Entertainment. This follows in the wake of Dinae Nelson's decision to resign as PResident of DC Entertianment earlier this month. She had been on a leave of absence and chose not to return.

Johns will get his own DC comics imprint called the Killing Zone focusing on lesser known DC characters, will be writing a new Shazam comic, as well as finishing Doomsday Clock. He will be a prt of the Titans series and other series for DC's streaming channel and will be working on a Green Lantern Corps movie and involved in Wonder Woman 2.

So not leaving DC altogether, but no longer the executive in charge of deciding the direction of the content.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Mad Ghost Productions already has a website up.

http://www.madghostproductions.com/category/comics/

http://www.madghostproductions.com/about/

Comment

• johnnystorm
      Hot Child in the City
      • Jul 3, 2008

Looks like he's sticking with the nu52 Shazam reboot storyline.
      And in other news, Jim Lee will announce the return of high collar/long sleeve uniforms for all DC characters, and Superman's shorts are gone again.
      Last edited by johnnystorm; Jun 11, '18, 3:51 PM.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by johnnystorm
        And in other news, Jim Lee will announce the return of high collar/long sleeve uniforms for all DC characters, and Superman's shorts are gone again.

Yay!!
        sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Two Joker movies and a 'Back to the Future'-style 'Flash' are among the new initiatives as the studio plots an Affleck-less Batman and stops dating movies far in advance.

How many Joker movies are too many? That's one question that Walter Hamada, named president of DC Entertainment-based film production at Warner Bros. in January, needs to figure out.

With the recent departures at DC — the studio said June 6 that Diane Nelson, who's been on leave, is not returning as president, and The Hollywood Reporter revealed June 11 that top exec Geoff Johns is moving into a producing pact — Hamada is even more firmly in charge of the film reins.

The exec, who successfully oversaw the Conjuring movies at New Line, inherited a slate in disarray and has quietly spent months sorting through projects. "He walked into a ****show, and he's trying to clean it up," says one insider familiar with the scene.
          In the Aquaman thread, I mentioned how inevitable this was. Hamada is Wan's guy and Wan has been Marvel's really only outside box office competitor. Seems clear Nelson and Johns jumped shipped instead of being pushed.

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

^ Interesting.

I wondered if, like you stated, Nelson and Johns' respective moves weren't a "leave before we move you" kind of deal. There is a lot to like about Johns' overall body of work, and I think he is an amazing creator but DC's movies are a big disappointment (Wonder Woman being the exception). With the characters and stories they have to pull from, it baffles me that the quality and cohesion is so poor compared to what Marvel has done. It's not even close and I wonder how they can still pull together what they have done so far. It just seems to lack the cohesion that Marvel has built into their movie universe. If it were me (and it's not), I'd scrap the previous notions and move forward building on Wonder Woman's tone and success.

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

I spent a little bit of time on Box Office Mojo comparing the movies from Marvel's Phase One to DC's recent movies. "Iron Man" and "Iron Man 2" are the only movies from Marvel's lead up to "The Avengers" that compare to the first four DC Films leading up to "Justice League". On average, DC's box office for movies leading up to Justice League easily outperformed Marvel's movies leading up to "The Avengers". In comparison, Marvel had 3 of their first 5 films, "The Incredible Hulk", "Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger" that fall pretty far down the list and DC's "Wonder Woman" outperformed anything from either brands' stand-alone movies (for first phase) .

The wheels come off for DC when you get to the payoff movie. "The Avengers" is #3 on the box office list and "Justice League" is #31. You know what "Justice League" compares to box office-wise?....."Logan" (a great movie, but not meant to be what "The Avengers" and "Justice League" are).

To me, that's pretty stark and Marvel is on to Phase 3, now, and really putting some distance between the two properties. DC needs to reassess if they think they will ever compete.
              Last edited by Makernaut; Jun 14, '18, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

^That's a good observation.

A lot of DC's problems started when they lost Tull and Robinov. At that point, it became rudderless.

Between Hamada and Toby Emmerich in both top spots, I'm wondering if Reeves will actually get his Batman movie made. The merger gives them an out, so they could gift it to Wan. Reeves is a better fit for Superman, (pun acknowledged), and Cavill isn't going anywhere.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

The DC movies cost more though. They had bigger budgets, yet they looked less polished and undercooked.

DC will never catch Marvel in a cinematic universe. They had the opportunity in front of them for 30 years and WB wasted it. To the general public, anything DC does that SEEMS like the connective tissue of the MCU is going to seem like them ripping Marvel off. They need to think of a different way to approach their universe.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by hedrap
                    Reeves is a better fit for Superman, (pun acknowledged), and Cavill isn't going anywhere.
                    Reeves did great with his POTA movies and Cavill is the right casting for Superman. I have no complaint against him, at all. Just needs the right Superman movie that lets him be what Superman should be on the big screen.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

If they continue with Cavill as he was in Justice League, I will be more than happy. My favorite part of that film, which I did enjoy despite it's undercooking.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        The DC movies cost more though. They had bigger budgets, yet they looked less polished and undercooked.

DC will never catch Marvel in a cinematic universe. They had the opportunity in front of them for 30 years and WB wasted it. To the general public, anything DC does that SEEMS like the connective tissue of the MCU is going to seem like them ripping Marvel off. They need to think of a different way to approach their universe.

Chris
                        I agree with all of what you have said. The DC movies do seem to lack the polish and apart from Wonder Woman, I found them a little hard to watch. "Man of Steel" was okay, but I can't say I really like that version of Supes. I like Cavill, though. A Superman movie should have had me feeling a lot more than what I did. "Batman v Supes" was, whatever it was....or wasn't, to the degree that I really can't tell you much about it. "I saw it?" might be about all I can say. I caught "Suicide Squad" on a movie channel and again, it was kind of "blah". And I haven't seen "Justice League". I've been waiting my whole life for a "Justice League" movie on the big screen and we finally get one and I can't be motivated to go to a $6 matinee. And it's not that I am purposely holding out on principle, I just feel "meh" about it. It really only bothers me when I think about all they have that they could have drawn on and they settled for something I don't seem to recognize.

However, "Wonder Woman" was terrific and I'd stack it up against any stand alone movie Marvel has put out. They can do it right and they have a template for what the movie going crowd will respond to.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Makernaut
                          Reeves did great with his POTA movies and Cavill is the right casting for Superman. I have no complaint against him, at all. Just needs the right Superman movie that lets him be what Superman should be on the big screen.
                          Exactly. Apply that mind to Superman and we could finally hit that elusive demigod balance Snyder and the Nolans couldn't.

Comment

• jacoblb
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2009

Didn't Diane Nelson take time off because of maternity leave or to start a family? After being a way a while she resigned.
                            I don't think much will change on the publishing side of things. DC has relaunched in a big, big way and keeping Johns and adding Bendis is definitely an ingredient to success.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

^When Amy Pascal went on maternity at Sony, they rebuilt an entire wing of the floor into her nursery. She left due to JL, the rest was face saving time. Hamada has been retooling for months, apparently.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎