X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Eddie Munster's Woof Woof Doll

As a kid I loved watching The Munsters. I remember Eddie having a toy wolfman type doll. When I did a Google search today to see if any toy company released a version of his doll, I noticed that there were different versions of it.

I don't remember if he switched dolls through the years, or if some dolls were just used for publicity shots.

Broke it down to 3 Woof Woof's.

1. Is the way I kinda' remember him looking like. Really nice detailed figure.

2. Kinda' looks like a "Where the Wild Things Are" doll.

3. Looks like a dead Che Guevara.

Can someone confirm which Woof Woof Eddie used in the series, and what was the best representation by a Toy Maker? The ones I found online didn't even come close to the 3 pics I posted.
    Last edited by J.B.; Aug 10, '18, 9:56 PM.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I remember number 1 and, as far as I can recall, he always called it Wolfe, whichever version he may have had in hand. I really only remember seeing number 1 and believe that’s the one he must have held the, at least, the majority of the time. Could those other two versions have been seen in the series and I didn’t notice? Certainly!

I watched the show weekdays, in the 80s, run after run after run, but could have missed some small detail like Wolfe changing or changing occasionally.

- Ian

Edit: He may have called the doll Woofie and not Wolfie. I’m saying this based on a Google search but it’s not clear to me one way or the other.
    Last edited by EmergencyIan; Aug 11, '18, 5:34 AM.
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I always knew the name as Woof-Woof as well. Number 2 looks like something I've never seen before. 1 & 3 look similar, and it may be the lighting and photo quality making them look different.

If I remember correctly, Butch Patrick himself was selling Woof-Woof dolls in the late 80s. I seem to recall ads in Model & Toy Collector magazine, for instance.

Patrick (and the Munsters Koach) are coming to my hometown Cynthiana Rod Run later this month. Maybe I can ask him for you!

August 24, 2024, Downtown Cynthiana (Site Under Construction for 2024)
      sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Here is an early incarnation of the Eddie Munster character with an early version of Woof Woof/Wolfie/Woofie. It shows your number 2 Woof Woof. This could explain why we remember number 1, as number 2 may have only been seen in an episode or very few. I did see a still from some episode with Lilly holding the same version.

- Ian

Edit: Here is Lilly with the number 2 doll:

I'm only assuming, but I bet this is from a very early episode...maybe the pilot.
        Last edited by EmergencyIan; Aug 11, '18, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

I'm purely speculating, but I know the Munsters was a Universal production. So, maybe the dolls were made by someone at the studio. To me, the second version (your number 1)!resembles Lon Chaney Jr.'s Wolf Man.

- Ian

Edited to be clear that I’m referring to the OP’s number 1. I reread it and realized that it could be confusing. It confused me, at least. LOL
          Last edited by EmergencyIan; Aug 13, '18, 6:23 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Butch Patrick is probably easy to get ahold of

Somebody send him an email

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

Ctvt was selling full size Wolfies at one point. One in a suit and one in a nightshift.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 29, 2018

My daughter has a plush universal Wolfman she slept with.

Comment

• J.B.
                  Guild Navigator
                  • Jun 23, 2010

Did some more searching and came across some highly detailed Woof Woof figures that came closest to the 3rd version I posted. They were from old listings on Etsy, Worthpoint and ebay. According to uncleodiescollectibles, they were sold at kryptoys.com in 2010, but I don't think they are around any longer:

Here is another great item from www.kryptoys.com!

This Munsters inspired Wolfie Woof stands about 3 feet tall and features furry latex head and hands. Wolfie has a plush middle and comes dressed in his pajamas, bathrobe and slippers.

He's scary and loveable!

Value: $75.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                    Ctvt was selling full size Wolfies at one point. One in a suit and one in a nightshift.
                    Do you have a pic or release dates? I can't find documentation of these.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

I don’t know who, if any company, made an accurate representation of the wolf doll seen the in the series. Though, if you want to know which doll was seen the most, it’s the one that you have listed as number 1.

- Ian

Edit: I’d also like to say, and as Chris mentioned, I believe your number 1 and 3 are the same doll.
                      Last edited by EmergencyIan; Aug 11, '18, 8:26 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

The first pic of the Woof Woof doll sort of reminds me of Boris Karloff playing Mr. Hyde in Abbott and Costello meet
                        Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          Do you have a pic or release dates? I can't find documentation of these.
                          I saw an old eBay listing for one, earlier today. You may try Googling it that way. If you don’t find it, let me know and I’ll find the listing for you tomorrow. It looked like they did a pretty good job on it.

- Ian

Comment

• J.B.
                            Guild Navigator
                            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                            Edit: I’d also like to say, and as Chris mentioned, I believe your number 1 and 3 are the same doll.
                            Allright, EmergencyIan, I know I may have caught you off guard, but I am well prepared to go deep into nerdville on this right now. You and Chris believe that 1 and 3 are the same doll, but look at the hairline and ears: 3 has a widow's peak and ears that stick out, where 1 does not. I may have gone too deep; hope I can get out.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

Man, this was something I'd totally forgotten about. I sure wanted one of those when I was a kid.
                              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎