X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Overstock of discount toys question?

Back in the 80's or 90's did your toystore have overstock that would be worth alot nowdays? Stuff that they practically couldn't give away and it was priced so low?
    or even just neat stuff that you remember seeing everytime you went to the store in the discount section?...
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

yup, i used to see clearanced m.a.s.k toys , mego hutch figures at 99 cents, mego wgsh hulk figures, mego chips, and vintage star wars potf star wars!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Big Lots got some of the tail end Toy Biz Batman and DC Super Heroes figures, including the vehicles like the Joker Van and Batcycle which aren't super-easy to find. For some reason I passed on these then, figuring Kenner's superior Dark Knight Collection line was where it was at.

The same Big Lots also go the one Maxx FX Freddy Krueger set. Not sure it goes for much now, but it's pretty legendary in toy collecting annals.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

I remember all kinds of Iron Giant stuff on clearance that is pretty pricey now.

Comment

• Bantha5
          Museum Super Collector
          • May 2, 2013

97 or 98 local Hallmark store is having a sidewalk sale, a ton of Applause Nightmare before Xmas stuff 75% off.Big jacks and Sally's, lock shock and barrel beanie sized figures, wind-ups, bendies, keychains, PVC's, pencils, all kinds of stuff and lots of it. Took the whole box in and bought everything, came out to about $60. This was when NBC stuff was just getting hot. I think I sold a few sets of the large jacks and Sally's for $500 on ebay and did well on the other stuff as trade fodder for a few years. Got rid of all of it well before the bottom fell out. Also remember passing on dump bins of original POTF figures for $.50 at Walmart.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 1, 2005

Yes, the Toys R Us in Calumet City always had loads of marked down overstock back then. You could still find moc Hulk Megos for 99 cents as late as 1988 or so. I recall seeing the Toy Biz DC Superheroes up until the mid Nineties. The KB Toys stores always seemed to turn out some off the wall figures here and there that hadn't been seen on shelves for years, too. I even remember picking up a window boxed Mr. Myxzptlk there in the early Eighties, it looked like it'd been hiding in their back room for years!

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

yea anything Nintendo...that stuff sealed is now worth a fortune
              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by toys2cool
                yea anything Nintendo...that stuff sealed is now worth a fortune
                Which Nintendo?

I remember Toy biz Batman being in stores till the early 2000's. He's a $10-15 toy now. I've heard stories about the GAH bug and Great white shark set being a peg warmer. Also the pin pin fantastic four and the European secret wars Electro,Iceman, and Constrictor. But that was before my time so I can't confirm. Really a lot of that stuff is only valuable because we make it valuable.

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

If you want to count this-- back in the late 80's my kaybee toys had a huge overstock of the now financial paradise for the Mego Greatest American Hero Volkswagen bug set. We bought one, but they had stacks of them across from the counter (talking four foot high stacks) and I do not recall the price, but they were all greatly reduced for a quick sale and store cleanout.
                  "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 12, 2016

I can remember in the late 70s, we were down at the AF base my dad had veen stationed at...The 4 seasons store had a table of Gi Joe adventure team stuff on clearance because Star Wars had hit...I was I had been smart or old enough to have my mom stock up on whatever joe sets were there...not really an overstock memory...
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I knew a toy dealer who said those stores were a gold mine in the early 90s.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• tay666
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 27, 2008

I remember Kmart having a whole section of ROTJ Star Wars figures for 99 cents. If I would have had the money I would have bought cases of them.

I also remember out local Big Wheel having the Kenner Alien figure with big orange clearance stickers for almost a year.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎