Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WAV
    • Jul 31, 2009

Best Paint for LJN Wrestling Figures?

I recently started collecting some LJN Wrestling figures and I'd like to touch up the paint on some of them. I tried some Testors Model Master Acrylics, but it just scratches off VERY easily. Has anyone used a paint that would adhere to the rubber these figures are made of as well as their original paint or better? (I do realize the original paint actually wasn't that durable, but it was way better than what I've tried)
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

Oh man, WAV, that is a good question. I used all kinds of paints on them in the 90s and nothing worked well. I even emailed LJN to get some tips but they said they didn't make those wrestling figures LOL I had some airbrush paint that looked good but but I doubt it would hold up. I seem to think that Golden brand acrylics were quite durable but I couldn't swear by that as it has been years since I tested those.

Comment

• JWLJN
      Veteran Member
      • May 7, 2013

There have been some amazing LJN customs on eBay over the years, but I have no idea what they used.

There used to be someone who made sets of the complete Survivor Series '87 main event. He'd properly repaint everyone that was produced and create everyone who wasn't.

-J\/\/
      http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• WAV
        • Jul 31, 2009

Has anyone tried enamel paints? I don't expect that they would dry properly, but maybe some dullcoat over top would help?

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

I tried everything in my Grampa' shed, and I know I attempted enamel a couple of times, but it wouldn't cure (remained tacky or sticky to the touch). The paint has to have some flex or it will crack when you bend the wrestler.

Ha, you can actually search for painting LJN wrestler, and lots of info comes up. Gotta love the internet.

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

If you are really serious and dont see info. that helps in the links above, give Smooth-On a call and ask what they suggest for painting rubber figures (might be best if you know what material they are made from).
          Smooth-On manufactures industry-leading two-component materials such as silicone, urethane rubber, urethane plastic, urethane foam, epoxy resin, epoxy coatings and adhesives.
          Last edited by Starroid Raiders Dagon; Dec 9, '14, 2:28 AM.

Comment

• tay666
            Career Member
            • Dec 27, 2008

I have no experience with it at all.
            But I know that latex mask painters usually use inks or latex mask paint.
            THE source for Latex Halloween Mask Making Kits and Supplies, manufacturer of Monster Clay, MonsterGel Alginate, RD-407 Mask Latex, Artificial Eyes & Special Effects Supplies

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

I know some customizers use some sort of clear coat sealers so it doesn't peel..But I can't remember which one
              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by tay666
                I have no experience with it at all.
                But I know that latex mask painters usually use inks or latex mask paint.
                http://www.monstermakers.com/content/materials3.html
                WAV, glad you made this thread!

Tay666, thanks for the link. I have been trying to find the paint used on the many rubber monsters most of us had or have for the last few years. The LJN wrestlers are practically the same type of rubber. The Monsterlink you gave, gives more info about "rubber cement paint" goes into the "pores" of the object and the cement sealing it in and making it very flexible. Perhaps this is what LJN has done
                "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎