X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1976 Ben Cooper Halloween Catalog

Ben Cooper was the leading manufacturer of Halloween costumes and Novelties in the United States during the 1970s.

This extensive 1976 catalog really demonstrates the power house licenses they had from the Universal Monsters and Mickey Mouse, the Superheroes of both Marvel and DC to TV sensations like the Six Million Dollar Man and the Sleestaks, Ben Cooper had almost a stranglehold on what kids liked .
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I wonder if one day costumes of this kind will come back into style and kids will embrace that look once more. I know it was simplier time, but I'm a big believer all things old can be new again. We're certainly seeing that from other things we grew up with.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Hmmm...I'm not sure. As much as I love these types of costumes, I would have KILLED for the Batman costumes my son has worn. Comic and movie accurate right off the rack. No bat-symbol on the forehead, no "BATMAN" emblazoned on the chest symbol. I think today's trick-or-treaters have it better than us, despite my nostalgia for this wonderful whacky costumes.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

I can tell Spock is an alien. He has 6 fingers on his left hand.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
          I can tell Spock is an alien. He has 6 fingers on his left hand.
          Haha, yes he does!
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Too cool! Since I'm all about these costumes, I have made my dolls Ben Cooper style costumes using plastic bags or rain ponchos, and print-offs of the masks and graphics from the costumes (or a close approximation). I also have an awesome mini doll sized Halloween Woolworth display in my living room right now. In fact many images I've used are directly from the costumes in today's feature! They are:
            SMDM, Batman, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Snow White, Cinderella, Jeannie (cartoon version), witch, black cat, Yogi Bear, Frankie (Groovie Goolies), gypsy, Morticia Addams, Laura Ingalls, Minnie Mouse, and Raggedy Ann. All costumes have Ben Cooper style boxes to match them and are on display.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Even though the costumes are more realistic now, we had more variety back in the day. You could be literally ANYTHING you wanted; monsters, TV stars, cartoon characters, toys, singing stars, animals, and all it took was a cheap mask and a piece of plastic. You couldn't say that today.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              ^Hmmm...I'm not sure. As much as I love these types of costumes, I would have KILLED for the Batman costumes my son has worn. Comic and movie accurate right off the rack. No bat-symbol on the forehead, no "BATMAN" emblazoned on the chest symbol. I think today's trick-or-treaters have it better than us, despite my nostalgia for this wonderful whacky costumes.

Chris
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I think today's trick-or-treaters have it better than us, despite my nostalgia for this wonderful whacky costumes.
                I agree. As much as a like the classic Ben Cooper costumes, I would have been an absolute awe as a kid if I had seen the SW costumes that are available now.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  I agree. As much as a like the classic Ben Cooper costumes, I would have been an absolute awe as a kid if I had seen the SW costumes that are available now.
                  Oh yeah, not only that but the variety and selection has vastly improved. We have three dedicated stores this season and we're hardly a major market.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Oh yeah, not only that but the variety and selection has vastly improved.
                    Totally. I remember when I was little I think there was like only four SW costumes the first year they were available. I ended up getting Darth Vader because it was the only SW costume left. It was a ginormous garbage bag type cape with a hood and mask.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

I'd like to see somebodies collection of these. You just know somebody does.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, If you look online, or go to Halloween Express or Party City, you can find just about anything on anyone's radar. I got a Mr. Incredible costume this year, and other than the Infinity Game, that franchise hasn't been heavily merchandised in years.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Looking closer at this, the Oz Scarecrow as called "Straw Man". Weird.

Mr. Magoo is dressed as Uncle Sam...it was 1976 after all!

I like the werewolf mask with ZZ Top beard. Reminds me a bit of Chaney's look in "House of Frankenstein".

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎