X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

Metalstorm/Megaforce

Two of my favorite movies as a ten year old were Megaforce and Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn (I chuckle every time I say that whole title). Which did you like better? And would else would like to see some retro figures (preferably Joe style) of the characters from these movies?
  • nazgul
    Lord of Light
    • May 2, 2011

I know I would...especially Metalstorm. I remember seeing that in the theater in 3d...awesome movie!
    You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• acrovader
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2011

I'd make up my own Megaforce adventures using my G.I. Joes
      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• MysteryWho
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 16, 2008

Here's an interesting take on the Megaforce figures and vehicles.

Comment

• ubermanx
          Career Member
          • Jul 3, 2013

Megaforce was awesome when I was a kid but even then I thought the flying dirt bike was too much.

Wasn't Metalstorm one of the early, not-red-blue-glasses 3D movies? Same cardboard glasses but I recall they were not red and blue.

- Marty

Comment

• MysteryWho
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 16, 2008

One of the many beautiful things that tie these movies together in my mind is the rear projection finales.
            The fact that they are totally unconvincing annoyed me as a kid but only endears them to me now.
            Meanwhile, I only remember being disappointed by the 3D effect. It was during that brief resurgent craze
            in the early 80s. I recall the glasses but I think they were still red and blue. I could be wrong. I remember
            trying to watch 3D movies on TV at home as well. It never worked, but it scrambled my brain very effectively.
            I still hate 3D.

Comment

• mahseer
              Museum Super Collector
              • Sep 21, 2012

My friend and I actually mailed in an offer from the back of a comic and joined Megaforce. After we saw the movie the membership lost it's magic

Comment

• MysteryWho
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 16, 2008

Yeah, I think I might've done that too. I definitely remember the ads and wanting to join.
                I mailed in for a ton of junk around that age, although I do remember getting some Joes that way too.

Comment

• Action Martin
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 30, 2007

I remember going to see Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn in the theater. I don't remember a thing about it.
                  I always wanted to see Megaforce but never did. I did own the 45 of the title song by 707. And I have the MP3.
                  Megaforce had a big marketing push, with half page and full page ads in the Sunday comics section and on the back covers of current comic books. I was surprised that there wasn't a tie-in toy line.
                  Scott

Comment

• nazgul
                    Lord of Light
                    • May 2, 2011

I think the only toys for Megaforce back in the day were a couple of hot wheels and an Atari 2600 game
                    You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• Action Martin
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by nazgul
                      I think the only toys for Megaforce back in the day were a couple of hot wheels
                      I forgot about those. Which is totally understandable.
                      Scott

Comment

• draconianguard
                        #1 Ernest Borgnine Fan
                        • Mar 12, 2004

Originally posted by mahseer
                        My friend and I actually mailed in an offer from the back of a comic and joined Megaforce. After we saw the movie the membership lost it's magic
                        That's exactly how I felt. The ads in the comic books got me hyped up. The actual movie was a letdown. I thought it was going to be like The Road Warrior or Escape From New York. It was was nothing like those movies and was quite boring to me when I was a kid.

Metalstorm was much better. I loved the 3D when I was a kid.
                        Pop Culture Central - Convention reports, toy reviews and more

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, I saw all the "Deeds Not Words" ads for Megaforce in the comic books, too. When I finally saw the movie I was somewhat disappointed.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎